By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149

AC is gaining in the poll, though to be fair when I started this thread "corona" meant a mediocre beer, and I doubt any of us dreamed that a year later we'd be in the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu, or the effect this would have on AC.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 April 2020

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Shiken said:
I am going to go out on a limb here, and say Animal Crossing. The game seems to be reach far outside its normal fanbase, and it will be hard to tell where it will fall due to people who typically do not game seem to be enjoying it as much as core gamers alike. It will definitely sell more than any ONE version of Sword/Shield, but the two combined would certainly be a feat to see.

So I stand with the underdog on this one, simply due to the style of gameplay appealing to more in the mass market. However when it comes to Pokemon, one must never underestimate the power of double dippers as well.

Do you really think double dippers will take that much of a percentage of Pokemon Sw/Sh's sales?

I have not looked into existing figures.  I was purely basing off of the fact that AC is one game, and Pokemon is two.  Also that Pokemon is...well...pokemon.

Clearly it looks like I may have been misguided by any advantage Pokemon may or may not have had though lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

If the data from SuperData is correct and AC sold 5m digitally during March we are looking at launch month sales of 12-13m. Compare that to Pokémon which sold 16m in two months during the holidays. Yeah Pokémon is getting crushed.

Shiken said:

I have not looked into existing figures.  I was purely basing off of the fact that AC is one game, and Pokemon is two.  Also that Pokemon is...well...pokemon.

Clearly it looks like I may have been misguided by any advantage Pokemon may or may not have had though lol.

Humm, very few people own both Pokemon versions though. Not saying they don't exist, but they aren't that representative 

Man it's driving me nuts that we still don't have any solid global numbers for AC.

I mean we know it's huge, but with their quarterly report delayed it might be a while til we know just how huge, compared to Pokemon.

It's times like this I really miss the software charts, inexact though they were.

Around the Network

Japan is over:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/famitsu-sales-4-13-20-4-19-20

Next step, USA

do we have the number of yes and no prior to the release?

Jranation said:
Should be Pokemon. If Lets go can do 10mil Sword and Shield should easily pass 10mil.

Oh no! Its happening all over again! God dammit! Why didnt I predict a global pandemic would happen during the release of Animal Crossing which actually is helping its sales. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

aikohualda said:

From memory it was about 32% for AC and 68% for Pokemon.

aikohualda said:

When this thread first got bumped it was like 20 votes AC and 70 votes Pokemon.