By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149
pikashoe said:
Jumpin said:

I’d guess Animal Crossing. The game has already had a larger worldwide cultural impact during this time of crisis and will continue to do so in the months to come. I think the cultural impact alone will make it the more significant game. It’s in the same league as Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Go, and Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokemon Sword/Shield isn’t.

Last we were told sword and shield were only around 300k behind Breath of the wild after around 1.5 months on sale. Chances are it's either equalled or surpassed botw at this point. Not sure how sword and shield are in a lower league that botw. 

Yea, I don't know the qualifications on significance. Jumpin didn't even mention Smash Bros. Ultimate, so is that not a significant title?

If (or when, depending on your perspective) Pokemon Sw/Sh pass 20 million LT sales, will we still not consider it among the likes of BotW, Mario Kart 8DX, Mario Odyssey, etc.?

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
MasonADC said:

Try typing Pokemon instead of Pokémon and see what happens 

It doesnt matter. I had it filtered by topic for both searches. Google trends let's you filter out non video game searches.

I’m not sure what you mean. Why not just use the world “pokemon” instead of adding more filters. After all, when someone is looking up something for SWSH, I’m pretty sure they would just look up the word Pokemon 

Kai_Mao said:
pikashoe said:

Last we were told sword and shield were only around 300k behind Breath of the wild after around 1.5 months on sale. Chances are it's either equalled or surpassed botw at this point. Not sure how sword and shield are in a lower league that botw. 

Yea, I don't know the qualifications on significance. Jumpin didn't even mention Smash Bros. Ultimate, so is that not a significant title?

If (or when, depending on your perspective) Pokemon Sw/Sh pass 20 million LT sales, will we still not consider it among the likes of BotW, Mario Kart 8DX, Mario Odyssey, etc.?

I feel like some people are letting there bias against sw/sh cloud there view on how successful it is.

Can't wait to see the quarterly numbers for Nintendo. Will be interesting how much Pokemon sold in the quarter after its holiday release, and just how big a launch AC had. At least in Japan Pokemon sales have died out now, already leveling off where the years old evergreen titles are - not bad I guess but I thought it would stay above those numbers for quite a while. I wonder if Animal Crossing hit 10 million in those first 12 days, also as a side note Splatoon should pass 10 million in the quarterly report.

MasonADC said:
newwil7l said:

It doesnt matter. I had it filtered by topic for both searches. Google trends let's you filter out non video game searches.

I’m not sure what you mean. Why not just use the world “pokemon” instead of adding more filters. After all, when someone is looking up something for SWSH, I’m pretty sure they would just look up the word Pokemon 

Because filters were added to AC as well making it an apple to apple comparison.

Around the Network

Animal crossing is going to do 30 millions and SS probably 22-25 millions max depending on how good the toundra DLC is cause we all know the june one isn't it.

Thing is, there will be a new pokemon game next year and the next AC game will be in like atleast 5-6 years

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I'm surprised these games are even being compared. Pokemon seems the natural choice. Animal Crossing is big, but it's not Pokemon big.

I'm already prepared to eat crow on this one.

newwil7l said:
MasonADC said:

Because filters were added to AC as well making it an apple to apple comparison.

That’s just seems like a way to undermine SWSH from being on top, but whatever, it’s a dumb measurement anyways 

What do you all think final numbers will be for these two games? I think Pokemon will do something like 26 million while AC will do something like 27 million.

pikashoe said:
Jumpin said:

I’d guess Animal Crossing. The game has already had a larger worldwide cultural impact during this time of crisis and will continue to do so in the months to come. I think the cultural impact alone will make it the more significant game. It’s in the same league as Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Go, and Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokemon Sword/Shield isn’t.

I must be failing to see the cultural impact of Pokemon Sword and Shield. Breath of the Wild is a generation defining game and a killer app. Pokemon Sword and Shield just seemed to be more of an incremental release of a series people get more out of habit, and otherwise had very little impact in its own right.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.