By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149
pikashoe said:
BlackBeauty said:

I’ve been waiting for them to announce numbers but they are clearly not doing that because they don’t want to look bad.

Celebrating the game sales in time of a pandemic lol.

But yeah Animal Crossing is on a whole other level. I’m expecting 17 - 20 million copies in its first financial report. Expecting it to break every record there is.

You think it sold between 17-20 million in less than 2 weeks, Outside of the holiday season, with supply issues? 

Yeah like what the heck? Maybe 17 million after this quarter. But for the first 12 days, just no. For the first 12 days I'd say 9 or 10 million since it probably sold what like 6 million or something opening weekend. Could definitely see it getting to the Odyssey, Zelda, Pokemon level from last quarter (16mil) by the end of this quarter, putting it two quarters behind those games, and of course it should pass Mario and Zelda by the end of the year with AC over 20 million end of year and Mario and Zelda just under 20 million I'd guess. Pokemon I think will still have like a million copy lead on AC by end of year (21/22 mil vs 20/21 mil).

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
newwil7l said:

I say its social media presence and huge attention from even non gamers is a pretty good indication. Sword and Sheild never felt this big, not even close.

Were you not on twitter during SWSH launch weekend? It was huge. And obviously pokemon gets huge attention from non gamers, it’s literally pokemon. But yeah 17-20 million with such a short timeframe is impossible 

It didn't get the attention AC got or is still getting. AC even broke into non gaming circles the two aren't remotely comparable. 

New Leaf sold 13m which is only 3m less than the Pokemon games on 3DS and New Horizons is going to be far far bigger than that and by default crush every Pokemon game not named Red or Blue.

newwil7l said:
MasonADC said:

Were you not on twitter during SWSH launch weekend? It was huge. And obviously pokemon gets huge attention from non gamers, it’s literally pokemon. But yeah 17-20 million with such a short timeframe is impossible 

It didn't get the attention AC got or is still getting. AC even broke into non gaming circles the two aren't remotely comparable. 

New Leaf sold 13m which is only 3m less than the Pokemon games on 3DS and New Horizons is going to be far far bigger than that and by default crush every Pokemon game not named Red or Blue.

New leaf actually sold around 12.5 million Pokemon x/y sold about 16.5 million which is actually a gap of 4 million. New horizon has a good chance of outselling sword/shield but I don't think it will crush it. They'll likely end pretty close to one another.

newwil7l said:
MasonADC said:

It definition did get the same attention, but I guess we just have to disagree on that.

lets not forget that SWSH will probably also crush every Pokémon game not named Red or Blue. 

MasonADC said:
newwil7l said:

It definition did get the same attention, but I guess we just have to disagree on that.

lets not forget that SWSH will probably also crush every Pokémon game not named Red or Blue. 

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F05xwg,%2Fm%2F0gh5gy

Look at the bump Sword and Shield had compared to the one New Horizons had and is still getting. 

I know google trends isn't a perfect argument but it definitely illustrates that New Horizon has much more interest.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
MasonADC said:

Look at the bump Sword and Shield had compared to the one New Horizons had and is still getting. 

I know google trends isn't a perfect argument but it definitely illustrates that New Horizon has much more interest.

Try typing Pokemon instead of Pokémon and see what happens 

newwil7l said:
MasonADC said:

Mason already addressed the trends part but I'll add the is a lot you are ignoring for one AC would have more of a presence online through social media due to the type of game it is being a social sim it fits in well with social media as people express their personalities through it however that still is no indicator of it outmatching Pokemon yet because a lot of Pokemon's interest is also generated in areas AC hasn't even got a foothold in such as media like animes and movies as well as having its own dedicated magazine outlets and merchandise.

MasonADC said:
newwil7l said:

Try typing Pokemon instead of Pokémon and see what happens 

It doesnt matter. I had it filtered by topic for both searches. Google trends let's you filter out non video game searches.

Wyrdness said:
newwil7l said:

Mason already addressed the trends part but I'll add the is a lot you are ignoring for one AC would have more of a presence online through social media due to the type of game it is being a social sim it fits in well with social media as people express their personalities through it however that still is no indicator of it outmatching Pokemon yet because a lot of Pokemon's interest is also generated in areas AC hasn't even got a foothold in such as media like animes and movies as well as having its own dedicated magazine outlets and merchandise.

Because AC just blew up in the mainstream? You arent going to see references on other media till next year at the earliest, those things take time and Pokemon is an older more established brand of course it has more of that. Doesn't change the fact that AC is going through its golden age or peak and is unquestionably more relevant than Pokemon at the moment.

newwil7l said:

Because AC just blew up in the mainstream? You arent going to see references on other media till next year at the earliest, those things take time and Pokemon is an older more established brand of course it has more of that. Doesn't change the fact that AC is going through its golden age or peak and is unquestionably more relevant than Pokemon at the moment.

That's where the flaw is in your argument AC is reaching a new high yes however that doesn't automatically puts it on the same pedestal as a long time juggernaut as Pokemon at this point, Zelda is in a new golden age and has been more relevant at moments than Pokemon yet SS caught up to BOTW with in weeks and has possibly outsold it this new golden age applies to all first party IPs as they're all reaching new heights only their new heights was Pokemon's norm for decades that's why this is not straight forward.