By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: MS to release Xbox Gamepass and Published titles on Switch

What they're doing is very smart and forward thinking. By not relying on their own merits to sell hardware with small profit margins to sell software to, they can take advantage of large install bases, pocket insane profits, and they shouldn't lose their own sizable fan base. What happens in the next decade or so is going to be very interesting to say the least for the gaming industry.

Maybe the NX meant something afterall huh Iwata... jk it probably just meant Nintendo cross but it's nice to dream.

Around the Network

We'll see if its true, but it would be quite the game changer if so. That said there's been some hinting at this for a while.

Masterchief for Super Smash DLC pack 5 confirmed?

In all seriousness, I will totally (as a Switch owner) buy a bunch of MS IP if released on Switch. They can have my money if I can play Banjo Tooie on THE GO!

shikamaru317 said:
The report specifically mentions Ori and the Blind Forest as a possibility for direct porting to Switch. Some other possibilities that might make sense for Switch imo:

-Rare Replay
-Battletoads
-Super Lucky's Tale (already rumored for Switch by another source)
-ReCore (developed by former Metroid Prime devs)

If they're gonna allow Halo through the streaming app anyway ... actual release of Master Chief Collection would make some sense. 

Why switch and not ps4? Their games would be much easier to port over to and gamepass would be much more profitable on the ps4.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Masterchief for Super Smash DLC pack 5 confirmed?

In all seriousness, I will totally (as a Switch owner) buy a bunch of MS IP if released on Switch. They can have my money if I can play Banjo Tooie on THE GO!

Master Chief in Smash would be amazing!

Pinkie_pie said:
Why switch and not ps4? Their games would be much easier to port over to and gamepass would be much more profitable on the ps4.

Sony wouldn't allow it I would guess. Nintendo doesn't get a lot of these types of games and likely MS is giving them a cut of the revenue if this is true. 

MS' goal is to supplant Sony at the end of the day. 

CaptainExplosion said:
This may be the craziest Nintendo rumor in months. Just because Microsoft let Minecraft Switch use Banjo-Kazooie assets, doesn't mean we're gonna get Game Pass and Microsoft published games on Switch.

Problem is the move is smart in that it gives MS more market penetration regardless of their hardware sales, Switch is already a platform where people double dip and it can easily be passed off as buy the Xbox version for higher fidelity or the Switch versions for portability of MS titles. It essentially turns Switch units into Xbox units granting them access to the portable market while allowing Switch more titles in its library, they're working on Live support for the platform so this wouldn't surprise me and would be a smart move by them.

Pinkie_pie said:

MS direct compete with Sony, not Nintendo 

shikamaru317 said:

The report specifically mentions Ori and the Blind Forest as a possibility for direct porting to Switch. Some other possibilities that might make sense for Switch imo:

-Rare Replay
-Battletoads
-Super Lucky's Tale (already rumored for Switch by another source)
-ReCore (developed by former Metroid Prime devs)
-Cuphead

All of this, please.

I must say though, if something like this happens, I won't need to buy an Xbox. Wouldn't Microsoft be crazy to do this? I mean unless they're transitioning their game division's business model to sell a service instead of software or hardware, which would be a fairly Microsoft move to make, and would make a Nintendo-Microsoft partnership much more feasible. Hardware wise, if Microsoft wants to continue selling Xbox hardware, having Nintendo exclusives and Microsoft exclusives on each other's systems would only work if Microsoft only develops the high end home console hardware while Nintendo develops only lower end and portable/hybrid software. Sharing technology would be promising though, as Nintendo could get Microsoft's Hololens and Microsoft would get Nintendo's controller innovation. I think overall though, Nintendo would be making out way better than Microsoft here, at least in the hardware and software businesses. Microsoft would get most of its money out of the deal selling Game Passes and Xbox Live subscriptions. But then why would Nintendo be investing in their own online service if this sort of partnership is in the pipeline?