By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 2 February 2019

Omg @ xbox sales.... Its reading like a dying console, I predict Microsoft to announce the new xbox scarlet consoles during e3

Its a shame the 360 was an extremely desirable console Spencer has messed xbox up now

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Looking at the numbers, If PS4 wasn't as big in EU as it is right now(100k+) the numbers would look much much worse on Sony's end. That's why EU is an mvp, Sony country all the way. I can't remember exactly but was it the same way last gen for EU with Sony just picking people apart there?

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
I can't remember exactly but was it the same way last gen for EU with Sony just picking people apart there?

Not last gen but the 2 before it did.

PS1-36.91m

N64-6.35m

Sat-1.12m

PS2-55.28m

XB-7.17m

GC-4.44m

PS3-34.55m

Wii-33.88m

360-25.87m

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Looking at last year marketshare, it's not that Switch does poorly in EU, but with PS4/XBO being interchangeable in many ways, it has more to do with the Xbox brand being relatively strong in the US but weak in EU.

US 2018
NSW-5.58m (36.8%)
PS4-5.28m (34.8%)
XBO-4.31m (28.4%)

EU 2018
NSW-4.48m (33.1%)
PS4-7.47m (55.1%)
XBO-1.59m (11.7%)

As you can see, Switch had similar marketshare in US & EU last year, the difference is that the PS4/XBO battle is competitive in the US while in EU it's an absolute bloodbath.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mnementh said:
melbye said:

Guess the time of the PS4 is over and people are ready to move on

I would say on the contrary. If console sales start to dwindle it is a sign many have bought into the platform and want to play games with it. Only a few are ready to move on. This is a critical point for console-makers each time. Start the new gen and try to push the new platform? Or wait a little and gain the profits off of a big established userbase with more games and services? Finding the right point to switch to next gen can be critical.

I'm not ready to move on. so many great ps4 games to play that i havent

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, from a German PC hardware forum I could get that they consider the Switch mostly too pricey and too weak (well, many consider the One X too weak there, it's a site for high-end PC gaming and upgrading after all, but the Switch is special case there). However, they do see the game lineup and consider it worthwhile if the price comes down. It should be noted though that a PS4 is generally cheaper to find there than a Switch, as almost all the time at least somebody has a promotion on the PS4 going, but that's rarely the case with the Switch.

@Setsunatenshi: It's not just that, it's also their background as Computer gamers. They are used to higher-end graphics, a department where Nintendo traditionally lags behind. Also, much more Playstation ads than Nintendo ads there.

I agree, but not just on the graphics part. The type of gaming experiences people tend to appreciate in Europe are the more "mature" ones. Nintendo still carries the kind of "toy for kids" perception in here.

Just an anecdotal experience that kind of illustrates this, I tried to get my gf into trying gaming for the first time, so I thought I would ease her in with some Super Mario (easy controls, 2d, etc). After 5 minutes of her failing miserably to control the character and complaining about video games being "for kids", she saw me playing Dirt Rally. Her comments then were: "oh, this looks much better, can I try?". I was like "are you sure? this is much harder than the previous one." She took the controls over and 30 minutes and 1000 crashes later she was still having fun with it.

There seems to be an aversion for more casuals or non gamers to try a more childish experience (with cartoony graphics, etc) than a more realistic looking game. Maybe it's something cultural, but it's extremely prevalent here.

So they like to be macho and still carry the false notion of animation = kids

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

trunkswd said:
Mummelmann said:
Statistical tie at the top, I wonder if everyone thinks my idea that MS will release a new Xbox this year is still ridiculous though, those are some truly atrocious numbers.

It is definitely possible. Microsoft might do what they did with the Xbox 360 and get a head start on Sony. I see a possible release this holiday or in March 2020. It depends if they have enough games. If they release it this year I see Gears 5 as something similar to what Breath of the Wild was. Released on the current and next gen consoles on the same day. 

I'm not sure if this is helpful for coming up with Europe sales but we got Spain hardware (and software) sales for Feb 11-17

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350719203/ventas-espana-jump-force-es-el-juego-mas-vendido-de-la-semana/

PS4-3600

NSW-2900

XBO-450

trunkswd said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm not sure if this is helpful for coming up with Europe sales but we got Spain hardware (and software) sales for Feb 11-17

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350719203/ventas-espana-jump-force-es-el-juego-mas-vendido-de-la-semana/

PS4-3600

NSW-2900

XBO-450

That is really helpful. Thank you. Do you know if they always provide hardware figures or is that only once in a while? 

Honestly not sure, someone on Resetera posts them every once in awhile but I'll look into it.

trunkswd said:
zorg1000 said:

PS4-3600

NSW-2900

XBO-450

That is really helpful. Thank you. Do you know if they always provide hardware figures or is that only once in a while? 

I found charts for the last 3 weeks but this is the only one that had hardware included. I'll keep looking.

zorg1000 said:
trunkswd said:

It is definitely possible. Microsoft might do what they did with the Xbox 360 and get a head start on Sony. I see a possible release this holiday or in March 2020. It depends if they have enough games. If they release it this year I see Gears 5 as something similar to what Breath of the Wild was. Released on the current and next gen consoles on the same day. 

PS4-3600

NSW-2900

XBO-450

Wow, looks like the Switch is slowly crawling upon the PS4 in deepest Sonyland