By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - About that Fire Emblem Three Houses...

Tagged games:

I am going to give it a chance as a day 1. My expectations are tempered, but it looks interesting to me. I have zero hype for it, but still desire to play it. I have not played the other Fire Emblem games yet, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

Maybe I will do a review for the view of someone new to the franchise later on, it may surprise many of us.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
If Mario or Zelda isn't in a game, then lower your expectations for it.

The Inklings disapprove

That trailer has only increased my worry for the game, not whether or not it'll at least be decent, but if it'll be a financial success. They're just not doing a good job presenting/marketing this game. First trailer was meh, you go dead silent on it for a 8 months, only to give us another mediocre trailer. We've still not gotten an explanation on the new gameplay mechanics, you know the most important thing. Further, they've not shown what the major conflicts or goal is. It's surely it's not just fighting bandits, so the game seems aimless and lacking motivation, and I can tell ya from personal experience that those ain't attractive traits.

Also, the Hogwarts angle seems like it's going to be padding/filler between missions. Instead of taking 5 minutes buying weapons and using seals, now we have to... watch our units eat lunch? I get it, they wanna flesh out the characters, but if the execution is anything less than superb it's gonna be a problem for me, essentially forcing me to play through content I don't care about before I can get to the reason I bought the game. Say what ya will about the pair-up/relationship system in Awakening/Fates, but it progressed by normal gameplay and actually added to the strategy by encouraging you keep specific units close to each other.

Don't get me wrong I'm still excited for the game, but that's still only because it's a Fire Emblem game, Three Houses itself has yet to excite. To not be completely negative I will say there are two notable positives in this trailer. The finally showed us characters in a character focused game, and it sounded like you could fully customize your army, making any unit whatever class you want them to be. Whenever they decide to elaborate more on that should get me quite excited as customization n team building is one of my favorite things about this series.

Will likely be my first fire emblem game since radiant dawn. this school and weeb stuff seems weird to me. I just wish they showed the battles as that's all I really care about. guess we'll see it when they do a fire emblem specific direct

Baddman said:
Will likely be my first fire emblem game since radiant dawn. this school and weeb stuff seems weird to me. I just wish they showed the battles as that's all I really care about. guess we'll see it when they do a fire emblem specific direct

In that case, wait for reviews and get ready for a potential shock. Awakening was an entirely different type of game compared to Radiant Dawn, it's possible that this one will be the same.

Radiant Dawn is still one of my favorite games ever, and Awakening still one of the games I regret buying the most...

Around the Network

100% getting this. It's FE.

Faelco said:
Baddman said:

In that case, wait for reviews and get ready for a potential shock. Awakening was an entirely different type of game compared to Radiant Dawn, it's possible that this one will be the same.

Radiant Dawn is still one of my favorite games ever, and Awakening still one of the games I regret buying the most...

Yeh I kind of wished for a eshop port of the 3ds games. I just never played them as I didn't like gaming on my 3ds

I heard Koei Tecmo is helping develop Three Houses, is it true ? I think that might be contributing to this weird factor on top of the poor showcase

Last edited by Luke888 - on 14 February 2019

Ok...so it's not just me. Looks like most had a pretty meh reaction to this title. Sorry to see that, especially for fans of the series. Maybe it was just poor presentation. I know even the Xenoblade Chronicles have had poor presentations but have delivered amazing experiences despite. Hopefully this will be true for this title.

super_etecoon said:
Ok...so it's not just me. Looks like most had a pretty meh reaction to this title. Sorry to see that, especially for fans of the series. Maybe it was just poor presentation. I know even the Xenoblade Chronicles have had poor presentations but have delivered amazing experiences despite. Hopefully this will be true for this title.

Well Xenoblade Chronicles 2 became the best selling Xeno game (even beyond Xenoblade) in the franchise despite not having the greatest of presentations prior to its own Direct (?).

I think Nintendo just needs to continue pushing Fire Emblem Three Houses. Use some time of E3 to promote Three Houses, including demonstrating it during Treehouse. Heck, release a demo like they did with Awakening. The demo sold me on Awakening and its one of my favorite games of all-time. 

And different is not always bad. Zelda BoTW aimed to depart from the conventions of 3D Zelda and is now the best-selling title in franchise history. Xenoblade Chronicles X found some success as well, albeit to a lesser extent compared to BoTW, even though the artstyle and setting are way different from the original Xenoblade.

Edit: And Xenoblade 2 also had some people turned off with the fan-service. But as I said, its the best-selling Xeno game and is still well-received.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 14 February 2019