By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Is Unhappy About Surge in Short Term Switch Online Plans

Nintendo might be unhappy about that, but I am sure they are more happy about already having 8m subscribers. 25% of the userbase to start with comparing with PS plus at 39% is quite good, considering how much less digital savvy they are.

Around the Network

Where are the digital discounts, where are the good offers for silver coins in mynintendo, where are the SNES-N64 games, where is any form of practical voice chat...? Hell, where is Miiverse? A return of that service in any capacity would make a lot of people happy, and would justify a lot of the cost for many players.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

CaptainExplosion said:
d21lewis said:
Not sure if this is the same article I read this morning but, from what I saw, they were planning to improve the service to get more people to subscribe. That's a good thing because in its current form, I don't want anything to do with their online service.

So they're finally getting a clue.

Hold your horses: d21lewis said there's a rumor that they might maybe be doing something unspecified to perhaps improve the service.

Farsala said:
Nintendo might be unhappy about that, but I am sure they are more happy about already having 8m subscribers. 25% of the userbase to start with comparing with PS plus at 39% is quite good, considering how much less digital savvy they are.

Nothing happy about having 8m subscribers knowing that the next month it can be drastically reduced. 

---

OP:  Seems like many of these subscribers fully aware of Nintendo's crappy service and are only testing it.  You know at least when XBL and PS Plus came out let people try it out for free for a brief moment, heck they even had games that gave 1-3 months free of their online service.  Nintendo should've given a free trial at least with those that bought Smash Bros.

V-r0cK said:

You know at least when XBL and PS Plus came out let people try it out for free for a brief moment, heck they even had games that gave 1-3 months free of their online service.  Nintendo should've given a free trial at least with those that bought Smash Bros.

Nintendo Online also had a free (14 days?) trial. I played some NES games in that time

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Nogamez said:

Oh i just meant the dynamic themes like you get on ps4. Like the backgrounds and stuff. All we get on switc is white or black lol

Did not know. :)

Sounds cool.

it would just say... be a god of war theme where it would open with cool Norse music then like pan a shot of a landscape, and the characters on screen may move or something. Just gives your ps4 some personality. 

Farsala said:

They don't have 8m individual subscribers though. That number includes accounts used within the family membership. Hard to tell how many subscribers there really are. Maybe 6m , maybe 7m...

Maybe they'll wake up. I've only gotten it in the 3 month quantity. And I bought it with Gold Points. Basically, I'm using the online under protest. I only use it for Smash and Cloud Saves anyway.

The 2 or so NES games getting released a month is an abysmal trickle of games to play. The lack of native voice chat and dedicated servers is inexcusable. I'd say more, but it's been said enough.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I can see that base dropping considerably once Smash and Mario Kart gets old (and Splatoon stops doing the splatfests later this year). Nintendo doesn't have many series known for good online multiplayer, even the last Mario Party had a lame online offering, which you would think that would've been the perfect game for online multiplayer.

You have to remember, many of those 8m subs are people who are trying out the service for the first time. If their first impression is lackluster, (which going off of the comments I've seen online, not just this thread, seems to be the consensus) that number can drop quickly.

Farsala said:

I can see that base dropping considerably once Smash and Mario Kart gets old (and Splatoon stops doing the splatfests later this year). Nintendo doesn't have many series known for good online multiplayer, even the last Mario Party had a lame online offering, which you would think that would've been the perfect game for online multiplayer.

You have to remember, many of those 8m subs are people who are trying out the service for the first time. If their first impression is lackluster, (which going off of the comments I've seen online, not just this thread, seems to be the consensus) that number can drop quickly.