By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Is Unhappy About Surge in Short Term Switch Online Plans

Very click baity title, nowhere does it say they are unhappy with people getting a monthly subscription, it says they plan on making sure these people dont let their subscriptions expire.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Nintendo's not happy that people are just getting one month Switch Online plans instead of year round ones.

Think maybe they're finally gonna get a clue about how shitty the service is?

Seriously, who thought putting up a paywall with practically NO BENEFITS was a good idea? Why haven't they even made dedicated Switch online servers? It's like Nintendo doesn't even realize it's 2019.

Microsoft, then Sony and finally Nintendo.

Seriously, paying for online play is crap par excellence. Why pay for something that is their duty anyway to do right?

@underlined: Well, because it's 2019. Look it up, companies move away from that model and outsource servers more and more. Nintendo is actually following the trend here.

LOL. Just bought the one month for Pokemon to link battle a friend, with no plans to renew.

Their service is utter shit from every angle to the point where even the low price compared to Sony/Microsoft cant justify it. Missing basic features (voice chat, messaging, achievements) most games have thread bare online modes if any, some have bad connections (Smash).

Splatoon is the only real reason if you never got to play it before free online went away.

And before anyone accuses me hating Nintendo, the Switch is my current favorite console. I've bought more games for it in the less than a year I've owned it than any other system I've owned. I'd love for their online to be good to the point where I can cancel my Xbox live but they're not even close to convincing me, and at this rate, I dont expect that to change anytime soon.

Honestly it needs more online games that will help.

All the other bells and whistles are pointless to me, If i wan't to play old games I can on their original systems lol.

Green098 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Maybe when they make a good online game I will continue my subscription (yes, that is a diss at Splatoon).

I would post a salty Splatoon meme for everyone who liked this comment ... but I don't want to get banned again

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
You're still giving up 20 $ for online + some NES games basically, lacking cert. but we probably shouldn't be entitled to get a carbon copy of other service's when we're also paying 3x/4x less than them.

If they can simply beef up the games offering, then I'll be happy to shell out those 20 bucks instead of going with a month subscription when I feel like it.

3x/4x less than PS+ or XBL Gold? It costs around half the price of PS+ or XBL Gold when buying the subscriptions at the right time.

Unless you have family members or close friends to share a family membership, you are at $20 / €20 per year. The lowest price on 12-month Nintendo Online gift cards I've seen yet was €19.94... so six cents saved.

On the other hand I never payed more than €35 per year for PS+. In the first years (up to 2012) Sony often gave away 90-day-subscriptions for free when you bought PSN credit.

In 2017 I bought 15 months PS+ for €35... that's €28 for 12 months:

Most of the €28 - €35 € per year I get back due to PS Store discounts for PS+ members.

eShop discounts for Nintendo Online members were talked about but haven't happened yet.

----------------------------------

And then there are the games... in the 6.5 years PS+ I unlocked over 70 games with a MetaScore of 85 or better, over 80 games with a MetaScore of 80 - 84 and over 100 games with a MetaScore of 75 - 79:

On average that are more than 10 great games and around 30 good games per year... many of them within two years after release; many of the good indie games on day one of their release. And there were even some more good games in the PS+ subscription which I didn't unlock because I already bought them before.

I wonder if the switch to the paid service has killed the online community in certain games.

zorg1000 said:
Very click baity title, nowhere does it say they are unhappy with people getting a monthly subscription, it says they plan on making sure these people dont let their subscriptions expire.

This, and what is worse communication in thread is like Nintendo is unhappy and that Switch Online is doing bad, while both those things are not true.

Conina said:
Mar1217 said:
You're still giving up 20 $ for online + some NES games basically, lacking cert. but we probably shouldn't be entitled to get a carbon copy of other service's when we're also paying 3x/4x less than them.

If they can simply beef up the games offering, then I'll be happy to shell out those 20 bucks instead of going with a month subscription when I feel like it.

3x/4x less than PS+ or XBL Gold? It costs around half the price of PS+ or XBL Gold when buying the subscriptions at the right time.

Unless you have family members or close friends to share a family membership, you are at $20 / €20 per year. The lowest price on 12-month Nintendo Online gift cards I've seen yet was €19.94... so six cents saved.

On the other hand I never payed more than €35 per year for PS+. In the first years (up to 2012) Sony often gave away 90-day-subscriptions for free when you bought PSN credit.

In 2017 I bought 15 months PS+ for €35... that's €28 for 12 months:

Most of the €28 - €35 € per year I get back due to PS Store discounts for PS+ members.

eShop discounts for Nintendo Online members were talked about but haven't happened yet.

----------------------------------

And then there are the games... in the 6.5 years PS+ I unlocked over 70 games with a MetaScore of 85 or better, over 80 games with a MetaScore of 80 - 84 and over 100 games with a MetaScore of 75 - 79:

On average that are more than 10 great games and around 30 good games per year... many of them within two years after release; many of the good indie games on day one of their release. And there were even some more good games in the PS+ subscription which I didn't unlock because I already bought them before.

I appreciate you going into the effort to post all this information. I agree there is value there for sure. I can see how some people benefit from this. These kind of offering current gen games makes a lot of sense and not the ones people are complaining about here (e.g more NES games? really you haven't played them enough over the last 30 years lol?)

For me though it just feels weird, even if i had all those games there to unlock, I still would have bough the physical copies of the ones I like. Personally I don't like the idea of renting games. 

Nintendo need to start giveing N64,CG,Wii games with their subscription imo.