By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Manhunt 2 on Wii preview and Screens on IGN

If Nintendo wants to shake their kiddy crap image they're going to have to take risks! Jack Thompson would attack the Bible Game so it doesn't really matter who envokes his wrath, its not like his say has ever mattered two shits to the video game industry. This is the kind of controversy Nintendo needs.

Around the Network
z64dan said:
I only own the Wii as far as next-gen systems go, and I really don't care that a game like Manhunt 2 is going to be released on the system... But Nintendo is going to regret this reaaaal bad when the news runs a special story showing a kid playing Manhunt on his "dangerous" new Wii system. It will show him pulling out testicles or whatever, and the newswoman will explain "how you can protect your own children!" and possibly show Jack Thompson (or whoever) saying something. And it IS different than the PS2 and PSP, where you just press buttons. Hopefully that won't happen, but it might.

If people don't recognise the 18+ thing on the game's cover it's not Nintendo's mistake. Also i'm pretty sure the "dangerous" Wii system has parental control settings.

the only thing you need to worry about is if nintendo comes out with something like this. http://www.nahc4.com/imageboards/lol/src/118035830769.jpg

windbane said:
KruzeS said:
windbane said:

Wow. Here's what I just saw on IMDB for Saw:

Genre:

Crime / Horror / Mystery / Thriller

So yes, horror is listed, but is secondary and only part of the genre description.

Am I missing something or are genres simply listed alphabetically?

Well, it's not a classic horror movie.  The whole point of the movie is finding out who the killer is and how he did it. That's a mystery.  A crime movie.  Thrills, yes, scares, yes, but just because a movie has disturbing images does not mean it's strictly or firstly horror.

I understand your point, really I do. That's why crime and thriller are there too. Just don't use the IMDB genre list's order to justify it (if that's what you where doing). It's alphabetical, believe me.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Gballzack said:
If Nintendo wants to shake their kiddy crap image they're going to have to take risks! Jack Thompson would attack the Bible Game so it doesn't really matter who envokes his wrath, its not like his say has ever mattered two shits to the video game industry. This is the kind of controversy Nintendo needs.

Nintendo's "kiddie" image really doesn't matter in the markets Nintendo is expanding into so, as a publisher, Nintendo reall doesn't care about it; teenage girls, women and older (40+) gamers are far less likely to be afraid to play a game because it isn't violent or is brightly coloured.

Insecure males (primarily between the ages of 12 and 21) are the ones who are most likely to be influenced by Nintendo's current image. The problem is that this demographic is also the group who is being targeted the most by everyone else so even if Nintendo produced 12 "Mature" games a year it is unlikely that they would caputre a large portion of it; in terms of the Blue Ocean strategy this represents the red water. Nintendo is happy to let developers on their platform target this group but they won't focus on this themself.

Essentially, a way to think about it is this ... Nintendo would rather spend $100,000 making Brain Training and sell 10,000,000 then to spend $20,000,000+ making a game like Killzone 2 in the hopes of selling 1,000,000 copies of it. Certainly, Nintendo will continue to make the Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other conventional games as long as there is a healthy return on investment from them, but don't expect them to get into a arms race to produce the most contraversial games in an attempt to take sales away from GTA or Manhunt.

Around the Network

Nintendo just needs to have mature games on their system regardless who makes them. I enjoy mature titles that are fun and cool the same way I enjoy mature movies that are fun and cool, why you think Nintendo has to avoid this altogether or steer clear of it is beyond me but I think I'm beginning to see why Nintendo hasn't lost its kiddy crap image, its not the kiddy games they make, its the arguments fans make in defense of it the kiddy crap phenomenon like its okay. Listen I don't want mindless blood and gore FPS out the ass like the 360 or a bunch of cheep mass produced games like the PS2 but I also don't see why the morals and ethics of the days of NES and SNES need to remain absolute in days of such high graphical capabilities. Nintendo itself has already pursued Eternal Darkness through Silicone Knights as one of their signiture franchises, why can't they go further? And if not Nintendo why not encourage more 2nd party and 3rd party developers to take up the yolk.

Lest we forget in the heat of the discussion, the Wii does have Parental Controls built in. You can configure the Wii to prevent it running M-rated games if you so choose. That's Nintendo's primary defense against the Jack Thompsons of the world -- it puts the responsibility in the hands of the parents, where it should be.

EDIT: This was already mentioned earlier in the thread, my mistake!

Gballzack said:
the only thing you need to worry about is if nintendo comes out with something like this. http://www.nahc4.com/imageboards/lol/src/118035830769.jpg

Are you required to link a suggestive image to a post you make in each thread? Just curious

ddobson Private message Add to friends Posts: 58 (05/29/07, 14:11) Lest we forget in the heat of the discussion, the Wii does have Parental Controls built in. You can configure the Wii to prevent it running M-rated games if you so choose. That's Nintendo's primary defense against the Jack Thompsons of the world -- it puts the responsibility in the hands of the parents, where it should be. EDIT: This was already mentioned earlier in the thread, my mistake! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I understand what you are saying but it still doesn't change anything. Parents will still get mad. I know that Nintendo has parental controls but it won't matter. Nintendo has an image of being family friendly and all of us Fans know it. That image is so ingrained that most of us have had tons of arguments with people, who call family friendly games "kiddy." So here it is, even though fans everywhere go on and on about BmX XX, Conker 64, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil's and while Nintendo's Software (game selection) is different than Nintendo Hardware (the System)... it is and was futile. Nintendo has always been like the harmless family dog and when they see Manhunt 2 it may be seen as the the family pet with Rabbies. The fact is that enough parents don't monitor what there kids are doing and those who do at home can't do it when that child goes over a friend's house. They may feel deceived saying, "I thought Nintendo was safe, We had sooo much fun with Wii Sports." Often times parents get mad because setting the Parental Controls requires them to do more work ("And don't I work all day," they may say). Most people want Fast Food, Plug-n-Play, Instant, No Assembly Required- they don't like to read instructions- they want no-brainer stuff. They want to put little Johny in a room (at home or at a friends) with a Game System were everything is safe- INSTANTLY. Did the woman who spilled the Mac Donalds coffee on her lap not know that coffee was hot? You decide. All I know is that right now the coffee cup is litered with warnings. So if Nintendo is smart they need to make an extra effort to alert parents to the fact that the game is M. Or else the mother who did not fear a bit when here child said he was going to play Wii may be greeted with a surprise when she burst into the room to spend sometime with here son by playing Wii Bowling. But what does she find her little angel doing using the Wii-mote to saw a man in half- laughing? "The Wii corrupted my Johny" she'll cry, "it was a Trojan Horse." As I said in my first posts on this thread, Microsoft and Sony can do what they want but Nintendo maybe judged more harshly. It would be like Disney creating a very violent cartoon, Barney just standing in a 2 Live Crew Video, or Mickey Mouse being in Saw 3. (And yes I know that Nintendo did not make the game but as I stated above Nintendo's own games dominate peoples opinions about the system). Personally, I don't like gore or stealth games but I loved Eternal Darkness and I want to buy RE4 on the Wii (I did not like the controls on GC esp. the knife). And no I do not have kids so my arguments above are just me having fun with predicting what impact this title could have on Nintendo.