By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Manhunt 2 on Wii preview and Screens on IGN

windbane said:

Wow.  I have even less faith in Wii owners now.  To hear most of you guys completely reject this game is pretty sad.  I played Manhunt 1 on the PS2 and it was a great game.  It's basically a stealth game like MGS but instead of breaking necks you kill them in varied ways.  The story in Manhunt 1 was actually good.  There is a reason you are killing the badguys. 

Also, if you have seen Saw you know it's more of a murder mystery than a horror/gore movie.  Yes, it has gory parts (as do most horror movies now-a-days, unfortunately), but the main part of the movie is the story.  I think Saw 2 and 3 had more gore than necessary, although a lot of people like that, but it was still a mystery in that you don't know exactly how the guy is doing it.  They are all pretty clever stories and have nice reveals.

Now, I don't know the story in Manhunt 2 yet, but it is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting a Wii, assuming it is actually better than the PS2 version in either controls and/or graphics. 

I guess people are right when they say that Nintendo owners don't want all types of games, even if they are good.

Manhunt was not a "Great Game" it was an average game which sold well because it attracted a lot of attention due to the nature of its content; games like Second Sight were far better games and sold (in comparison) rather poorly because they did not have the shock value.

On another note, growing up as the yongest child I was introduced to horror movies and a very young age and can honestly say that I have seen (pretty much) every horror movie released in the past 40 years. I personally see movies like Saw, Touristas, Hostel and The Hills Have Eyes as the modern death of the horror genre. Every time we go through a major improvement in special effects technology a bunch of hacks start selling "horror" movies based on shock value alone; rather than building tension and suspense like the greats have they show off gore for the immediate shock value and destroy all suspense and tension in the movie.

I really wish there were less sheep in this world who buy into marketing strategies because then I could get some decent entertainment.

Around the Network

I actually think it will do well on the Wii. PS2 will be the best selling version. In the US it could be like 300k for the PS2 version and 150k for the Wii version, which I don't think Rockstar will call dissapointing. Being able to act out moves will definetly give the Wii version some attension, though at the same time it isn't going to sell Wiis to adults who think it's a kiddy system. I think how this sells on the Wii will more than any other game, maybe even more than the Resident Evil games, detirmine what future the system has with mature titles. If it bombs and only sells 50k or less on the Wii than you can bet you will not keep seeing games like it and Scarface come to the system as we are right now.

HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:

Wow. I have even less faith in Wii owners now. To hear most of you guys completely reject this game is pretty sad. I played Manhunt 1 on the PS2 and it was a great game. It's basically a stealth game like MGS but instead of breaking necks you kill them in varied ways. The story in Manhunt 1 was actually good. There is a reason you are killing the badguys.

Also, if you have seen Saw you know it's more of a murder mystery than a horror/gore movie. Yes, it has gory parts (as do most horror movies now-a-days, unfortunately), but the main part of the movie is the story. I think Saw 2 and 3 had more gore than necessary, although a lot of people like that, but it was still a mystery in that you don't know exactly how the guy is doing it. They are all pretty clever stories and have nice reveals.

Now, I don't know the story in Manhunt 2 yet, but it is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting a Wii, assuming it is actually better than the PS2 version in either controls and/or graphics.

I guess people are right when they say that Nintendo owners don't want all types of games, even if they are good.

Manhunt was not a "Great Game" it was an average game which sold well because it attracted a lot of attention due to the nature of its content; games like Second Sight were far better games and sold (in comparison) rather poorly because they did not have the shock value.

On another note, growing up as the yongest child I was introduced to horror movies and a very young age and can honestly say that I have seen (pretty much) every horror movie released in the past 40 years. I personally see movies like Saw, Touristas, Hostel and The Hills Have Eyes as the modern death of the horror genre. Every time we go through a major improvement in special effects technology a bunch of hacks start selling "horror" movies based on shock value alone; rather than building tension and suspense like the greats have they show off gore for the immediate shock value and destroy all suspense and tension in the movie.

I really wish there were less sheep in this world who buy into marketing strategies because then I could get some decent entertainment.

I definitely agree.  I can't watch a movie nowadays without seeing at least one trailer for some typical "locked in a room to die" movie...did you see the trailer for Captivity or whatever that's called?  So stupid...they don't even bother with a plot anymore...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

windbane said:

Wow.  I have even less faith in Wii owners now.  To hear most of you guys completely reject this game is pretty sad.  I played Manhunt 1 on the PS2 and it was a great game.  It's basically a stealth game like MGS but instead of breaking necks you kill them in varied ways.  The story in Manhunt 1 was actually good.  There is a reason you are killing the badguys. 

Also, if you have seen Saw you know it's more of a murder mystery than a horror/gore movie.  Yes, it has gory parts (as do most horror movies now-a-days, unfortunately), but the main part of the movie is the story.  I think Saw 2 and 3 had more gore than necessary, although a lot of people like that, but it was still a mystery in that you don't know exactly how the guy is doing it.  They are all pretty clever stories and have nice reveals.

Well I hated the first Saw movie and never saw the sequels. That said I did like the first Manhunt. I expecially loved the stealth elements, and that added to the satisfaction of beating people to death. If it was just swining the Wii mote around and hacking people to pieces I probably wouldn't concider getter Manhunt 2, but the added stealth elements (me being a fan of stealth games like Splinter Cell) I might concider it. First I have to get a Wii. I'm not going to settle for the PS2 version if the Wii one is trully the premium one.

I think the Wii library needs to accept titles of this sort, in keeping with Nintendo's goal (and obligation, for business reasons if nothing else) to be the videogame console for EVERYONE this generation. Nintendo can use this opportunity to demonstrate that it's NOT the self-appointed censor for its platforms. And it's not like this is "Mario's Manhunt" -- the title is clearly aimed at an audience that's willing to go for a bloody, gory ride. The gut reactions everyone is expressing about the very concept supports the idea that Wii controls ARE more viscerally involving than button-pressing. We're not sure we WANT to play, or enjoy, this game; somewhere inside our moral alarms are being triggered by the idea itself, which makes it a bold and interesting undertaking in many ways. This game could be a lot of fun in a sheer black comedy way -- from IGN's preview, it seems to be SO over-the-top that it begs not to be taken seriously and could be a terrific guilty pleasure. Or, if (gasp) it approaches the level of art, it could be seen as an ironic commentary on violence -- criticizing it by exaggeration and parody, while at the same time capitalizing on it. This is something other most media can't do in quite the same way, and I think it's worth exploring in games now and then.

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't censor games. Just because they don't do these kinds of games doesn't mean they don't allow them on their platform. Have a look at BMX XXX - was it censored?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

The wii has parental controls built into the console. I assume the wii will refuse to run it if those are activated. Plus the wii logs the amount of time each game is played. Why bother putting parental controls in a console, if there isn't some games for it to block...

HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:

Wow. I have even less faith in Wii owners now. To hear most of you guys completely reject this game is pretty sad. I played Manhunt 1 on the PS2 and it was a great game. It's basically a stealth game like MGS but instead of breaking necks you kill them in varied ways. The story in Manhunt 1 was actually good. There is a reason you are killing the badguys.

Also, if you have seen Saw you know it's more of a murder mystery than a horror/gore movie. Yes, it has gory parts (as do most horror movies now-a-days, unfortunately), but the main part of the movie is the story. I think Saw 2 and 3 had more gore than necessary, although a lot of people like that, but it was still a mystery in that you don't know exactly how the guy is doing it. They are all pretty clever stories and have nice reveals.

I really wish there were less sheep in this world who buy into marketing strategies because then I could get some decent entertainment.

I would not lump Saw in with those other movies.  It's not a horror movie.

What is the height of horror movies to you?   Friday the 13th (the first of which was also a murder mystery, believe it or not), Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween?  Because those probably defined the genre for awhile in America, and that's pretty much what the current horror movies are like.

Scream started the teen horror movie trend, and The Ring started the Japanese horror trend.  Do you prefer those paths?

My problem with horror movies is the cheap scare.  Most start off innocent, then have a nice fake scare (far too many bats and cats), then the gore starts with loud sounds to startle you.  That includes all paths I've mentioned.

Hitchcock, I'm told, did more suspense than horror, so I look forward to watching those.  I'm just not sure what kind of horror movie you prefer, because the genre has never been maybe what it could be.  Maybe you like The Exorcist?

Oh, and in my opinion, Manhunt was a great game for what it did, so you can disagree with my opinion but you can't tell me I'm wrong. 

I wonder what the commercials for this game will be like

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

windbane said:

Oh come on. I'm having less and less faith in your posts.

I love horror movies - but I don't like gore movies. I make a real distinction between the two. I like "horror" games (RE, Silent Hill, etc..., but I detest "gore" games. I remember when "Soldier of Fortune II" (PC) came out, and was sickened watching people 'have fun' blowing the limbs from people off (incapacitated people lying on the ground - helpless).

I respect the rights of others to enjoy gore movies/games - and I expect them to respect my rights to NOT enjoy gore movies/games. If you don't like Jack Thompson, don't turn into him.

This isn't about "killing" badguys - this is about killing them in ultra-gory ways on purpose. Its the key hook to the game.

You won't see any of these death sequences in Halo3 - no guesses why... MS knows how many sales it would lose.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099