By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Manhunt 2 on Wii preview and Screens on IGN

Just for a different perspective, when the Movie "Saw" came out, there was a similar response "Why would anyone make a movie like that", but considering we've had 3 Saw movies, soon to be 2 Hostel movies, Turistas, etc... there is definitly a market for this kind of stuff. Now personally, I went to see Saw in theatres, and that was about as much of that sort of thing as I can take for a life-time =). This game holds no interest for me. HOWEVER, I think the difference between this and GTA is relative. Lots of people have a similar opinion about a game that glorifies gangs and violent crimes.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

I'm surprised that Nintendo is actually allowing this game on their system and I actually think Rockstar needs to tone it down a little, they might have actually gone too far this time.

This title deserves the kiss of death Adult Only rating from the ESRB if the part from the article quoted by Shams remains in the finished game.

I'm sure this will be a AO (M18+ or worse) rating - and much of the game is like this. Have a read of the IGN preview - talks about being 50(?) different ways to kill people, with lots of different tools... and the character "realising he enjoys it" after a while. Thank god the people you kill all seem to be "nice" - this is no Postal, where you could potentially kill "normal" people (kids, mothers, etc...).

I don't think Nintendo really mind this sort of stuff. Yet again, it helps to "expand" the audience - there will be a few(heaps?) people out there who LOVE this stuff (same as hardcore fans of the Saw movies?), and the Wii version should easily be the best and "most fun" (as long as you consider causing grevious bodily to other people fun).

In a lot of ways, this is a real "test" for Nintendo - and I think they will grab it with both hands. This more than anything else, repositions them away from the "kiddie" image towards the genre-agnostic position that Sony had last generation. This releasing on the Wii will really hurt Sony (in terms of image...).

If Ninty turned this down, it would be a real media coup for Sony (and MS?), and would get a lot of people/undercurrent talking about how Nintendo failed them when it came to violent games. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Legend11 said:

I'm surprised that Nintendo is actually allowing this game on their system and I actually think Rockstar needs to tone it down a little, they might have actually gone too far this time.

This title deserves the kiss of death Adult Only rating from the ESRB if the part from the article quoted by Shams remains in the finished game.

Exactly what I thought about the Nintendo allowing it part, also executing people with the Wiimote is why the Wii version will be far superior to the PS2 one but will sell less sadly :(

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

It's just going to be rated M, all of you stop freakin' out over this game. Also El Duderino play the first one and see how good it is, it's not just mindless violence. It was a very good game and highly underrated (like that other Rockstar game Red Dead Revolver which should get a sequel already...).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

From IGN: "The Wii version of Manhunt 2 looks noticeably better than the PS2 version. Rockstar Toronto has used the extra horsepower that Nintendo's console delivers to "up the gore." This is done in a few key ways. For starters, character models in the Wii version will display realistic blood splatters, bruising, gunshot wounds, gashes, and head wounds. In addition, blood will actually spray the screen during combat and executions in the Wii iteration, just as it will accumulate on Danny as he explores the asylum. Considering how important the gore factor is to Manhunt 2, these are all welcomed additions. The title meanwhile looks very sharp on Wii, moves at a steady 30 frames per second, and runs in both 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes." So enough with the "It's a port!" BS, please. Also, I can't wait to saw a guy in half by actually making the sawing gestures.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
DonWii said:
Jack Thompson already criticized Wendys for distributing Wii "Toys" because it is a company that, apparently, encourages muder, citing the soon to be release Manhunt 2 on the Wii. He is, at the moment, suing Microsoft over the distribution of Halo 3. I think Jack Thompson has enough on his plate, especially with GTA IV being released soon after Halo 3.

Better watch out...Jack might be monitoring these posts..we may be next..lol

That new manhunt game looks great...............................graphics are not too shabby!

Wow.  I have even less faith in Wii owners now.  To hear most of you guys completely reject this game is pretty sad.  I played Manhunt 1 on the PS2 and it was a great game.  It's basically a stealth game like MGS but instead of breaking necks you kill them in varied ways.  The story in Manhunt 1 was actually good.  There is a reason you are killing the badguys. 

Also, if you have seen Saw you know it's more of a murder mystery than a horror/gore movie.  Yes, it has gory parts (as do most horror movies now-a-days, unfortunately), but the main part of the movie is the story.  I think Saw 2 and 3 had more gore than necessary, although a lot of people like that, but it was still a mystery in that you don't know exactly how the guy is doing it.  They are all pretty clever stories and have nice reveals.

Now, I don't know the story in Manhunt 2 yet, but it is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting a Wii, assuming it is actually better than the PS2 version in either controls and/or graphics. 

I guess people are right when they say that Nintendo owners don't want all types of games, even if they are good.

honestly im looking forward to this game and since it dont cater to the casual crowd im expecting it not sell through the roof

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

Windbane, it will be better in both ways.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

The wii is owned by a wide demographic of gamers, its somewhat naive to think the system is only selling well because of stay at home moms and grandmothers who bought it to play sudoku.

I welcome this game to the Nintendo console, I'm not sure what the deal with some Nintendo gamers here is but honestly if Nintendo could get away with Mortal Kombat on the SNES, they can get away with this. Let the big kids have some gore games for the Wii, I know I want some more mature titles.