By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo FY Q3 Results (Switch 32.3m LT, Smash Bros 12m, Pokemon 10m..)

Baddman said:
Are you guys going to turn this into a thread about whos right n wrong because of a revised forecast. Anyway im happy seeing botw still selling so well and splatoon 2 in way to ten million

What's the point in making predictions in all of those threds asking how much is going to do a console or game then?? Why are we here in VGC??

But don't worry, i won't insist anymore. I made my point so no more derailing for me.

Good results for Nintendo in hardware and software sales.

Around the Network

Yeah, unfortunely Nintendo wont reach those 20 million units sold this fiscal year.Sad, but 17 millions(or even a bit more) is still really good, especially comparing to the comüpetition and that the Switch had no price cut as of yet.

But the software.... good lord, the software is doing bonkers!I mean, the evergreen are constantly selling millions each quarter(did especially well in the holidays for obvious reasons), so that at this pace, MK 8 Deluxe, Mario Odyssey and Smash are garanteed to pass 20 million, at the very least.But even others like Pokemon did beyond my expectations.I mean, I througly expected it to do well, but I imagined that it would be around 7 millions by the end of december, not 10 million!

But man, I think one of the biggest surprises here is Super Mario Party.We all knew it would sell well, but not this well!If I am not mistaken, I think its currently the third best selling Mario Party game, and I think its not far from the other two.The best selling MP game is really close to 10 millions, and even if SMP slows its pace, it will still eventually catch up.This game is a monster.Nintendo really needs to announce more (hopefully free) content for it to keep pushing those sales foward.

With Aces being the best selling Mario Tennis ever, hopefully Nintendo pays more attention to Camelot.I dont know is Camelot is fully owned by Nintendo(and thus an internal studio), but even if they arent, I really want Nintendo to pay more attention to them and either give them a bigger budget to make their game, or invest in them for them to have a bigger budget and bigger teams.I want a new Golden Sun dammit!

And gotta say, Im slightly dissapointed in Octopath sales.Dont get me wrong, they are great.The game is basically at 1.3 million right now.But I honestly expected for it to have sold more than 1.5 million by now, and eventually sold a bit more than XC 2 by the end of its life.1.5 million is basically garanteed at this point and 2 million is still on the table though, so if Square dosent cheap out with the sequel like they did with Bravely Default, we could be seeing a great new franchise being born.

Overall, extremely happy with Nintendo performance this quarter.Im just not happy that Nintendo didnt share some tidbit on how XC 2 performer this quarter, but Im good.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Miyamotoo said:
colafitte said:

I just want to remember a few things....

back in December 15:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8938973

back in January 03:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8948254

I guess nobody is going to apologize or admit defeat, and i won't put names, but you know who you are...

You were right when comes to hardware numbers, I was wrong when comes to hardware numbers, I was expecting 19m+ at end for FY, but in that post I also said that Switch will 35m+ at end of FY, and that's definitely still possible, it needs around 2.8m for Q4 that's more than achievable.

On other hand, you were wrong about Smash Bros and Pokemon numbers. :)

I was definitively wrong with Smash Bros.... I expected 8'5M sold in the first month, but i'm happy the game crushed my expectations. About Pokemon, i don't remember exactly what i said to be wrong. Maybe i said i expected 10M by the end of the year?, i sincerly don't remember....

*looks at the Smash sales numbers*

@Wright

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

colafitte said:
Miyamotoo said:

You were right when comes to hardware numbers, I was wrong when comes to hardware numbers, I was expecting 19m+ at end for FY, but in that post I also said that Switch will 35m+ at end of FY, and that's definitely still possible, it needs around 2.8m for Q4 that's more than achievable.

On other hand, you were wrong about Smash Bros and Pokemon numbers. :)

I was definitively wrong with Smash Bros.... I expected 8'5M sold in the first month, but i'm happy the game crushed my expectations. About Pokemon, i don't remember exactly what i said to be wrong. Maybe i said i expected 10M by the end of the year?, i sincerly don't remember....

I am pretty sure you predicted lower numbers for Pokemon than you did for Smash Bros, something like 6-8m for Pokemon.

Around the Network

It should be noted that Smash 5 basically outsold almost all smash games, outside of Smash 4, in one month.

One month.

Let that sink in.

20 million was NEVER going to happen. Sony raises forecasts. Nintendo lowers them.

Still the Switch is doing way better than I could have guessed. The number of 3rd party million sellers is encouraging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

colafitte said:
OTBWY said:

Since you're making sweeping generalizations and not naming people, I can do the same. Period.

If you think you were one of those people i insinuated it says more about you than me. 

In my case, i have no problem saying out loud i did not made those predictions of Switch that you said.

That's the main difference.

I never made predictions on it whatsoever. Feel free to double check as much as you like.

Anyway, what is your actual opinion on Switch's amazing success, colafitte?

Miyamotoo said:
colafitte said:

I am pretty sure you predicted lower numbers for Pokemon than you did for Smash Bros, something like 6-8m for Pokemon.

I think you are confusing me with another one. I think i said i expected Pokemon to do around 10M because the game should not be overshadowed. But if i said anything else, i don't remember.

What is my main surprise in Super Mario Party. If anyone asked me about the game back before it launched i would've been massively wrong.

Very strong hardware and software numbers from Switch, good to see that Smash is selling strong.

17M seems very realistic and should be reached easily, 20M was already from the beginning a very unattainable goal imo.