By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo FY Q3 Results (Switch 32.3m LT, Smash Bros 12m, Pokemon 10m..)

Nautilus said:
It should be noted that Smash 5 basically outsold almost all smash games, outside of Smash 4, in one month.

One month.

Let that sink in.

It's going to become the best selling fighting game of all time. Also making Smash Bros the best selling fighting game franchise of all time.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
colafitte said:

If you think you were one of those people i insinuated it says more about you than me. 

In my case, i have no problem saying out loud i did not made those predictions of Switch that you said.

That's the main difference.

I never made predictions on it whatsoever. Feel free to double check as much as you like.

Anyway, what is your actual opinion on Switch's amazing success, colafitte?

What i've always said. That Nintendo is doing super great. That Nintendo is still the best software developer. That Nintendo is going for pure profits race instead to going to absurd numbers for sales. 

Nintendo is basically where they wanted to be when they designed Switch. The only problem i had was that 20M projection because like most PR bullshits recently, it sounded to me like advertisement to fool people. And because of that every gaming site reacted expecting Switch doing 20M or more. From my view that was always difficult to do, even impossible after a time, so i just gave my opinion.

For this next year, like i already said too, i expect Nintendo is going to try to be max profitable too, so if they don't make a price cut this year i won't be surprised at all. I think Switch is capable to sell another 16-17M at least this year at the same price and if i was Nintendo i would try to do exactly this.

I'm so happy Pokemon is at 10m. Lots of people claimed it won't sell like a mainline game but here we are.

OTBWY said:
Nautilus said:
It should be noted that Smash 5 basically outsold almost all smash games, outside of Smash 4, in one month.

One month.

Let that sink in.

It's going to become the best selling fighting game of all time. Also making Smash Bros the best selling fighting game franchise of all time.

Oh yeah, easily.I mean, its not going to be easy to beat Street Fighter 2 and all of its ports and rereleases, but its going to pass it, definely.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Evilms said:

Nice Numbers.

14.86 millions ( 31/12/17)

32.27 millions ( 31/12/18)

This means that the Switch misses first place in 2018 by a very small margin by selling 17.41 millions just behind the PS4 and its 18 millions.

So it's the PS4 that finished first on the calendar year for the 5th consecutive time, really amazing!

I think ps4 is sold to costumers and switch shipped, but if someone can make it clearer it would be good

(Xbox I have no idea)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

lol, Miyamotoo is the only one who doesn't need to apologise..... It's the only one who didn't call me anything personal during those months.

And how is 16-16'5 proving partially wrong?? Do you have the numbers?? Is VGC tracking numbers definitive?? Why don't you said what i said specifically about shipment numbers??

Right now Switch is 16'9M to VGC, it's not like 16'5 is too far off either. Switch is going to be adjusted down, just give it time...

Who called you something personal? That's why it's for the best if you name who you have beef with.

16-16.5m is wrong because the actual number is higher. The shipment figure of 32.24m does not necessitate a downward adjustment into your range.

Here is what you said about shipments: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8948281

"Switch will fight to reach 17m shipped though."

Nintendo now needs 2.51m to reach 17m, so that's not going to be a fight. In the same link you see me saying that 17.7m is the worst case; that turned out wrong, but your figures aren't correct either. You can't excuse that with "it's not far off", because in that case you'd have to grant everyone else a margin of error before you can call it wrong.

No basis to claim victory when the results fall inbetween the various predictions that were made and therefore pretty much everyone of the people who were close were partially right and partially wrong during the various discussion points of the last couple of months. People who were not close were outright wrong.

I won't say the names because i don't want to and i don't need to. I'm not upset about what people called me as much as you saying i wasn't right to be honest.....

What is so wrong about saying Switch will fight to reach 17M shipped??? If Nintendo reached the goal of that 17M, is precisely because they will fight to do it, from my point of view. If a team wins a tournament, even if is expected to do it, they have to fight for it.

You and me don't know the number for sellthrough sales, so i can't say i'm right and you can't say i'm wrong yet. The only number that we can use to prove is shipment numbers, and sorry, i could not be more specific about the number i expected. I said it multiple times. 9-10M shipped for Q3, 2-3M shipped for Q4, so 32M total shipped by Q3, 12-13M shipped for the rest of the year, and i specifically said i expected 17M shipped by FY.

I don't know how you can not admit that...

Q1 looks like the Sahara of games

Way to kill off the momentum, it's becoming a habit for Nintendo, that to have a long period without any meaningful games, which is aggravated by the fact that there's been little to no content being released for the 3DS lately and that freed up a lot of Dev resources for the Switch.

Again, 3rd parties aren't helping this gen, their upcoming line up is damn pathetic.

They wouldn't have had to lower any forecasts had they paid attention to their own history.

If Nintendo isn't careful, profits will be greatly hit considering they only have 1 viable console (3DS is already dead) and that they will have to cut the price of the Switch to maintain sales. SW alone works for so long, but this year if the wait prolongs to E3 then things will turn to the nasty side.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Ohhhhh, just found out that Octopath being at 1.27 is a guess by us.Since Nintendo has only acess to the data pertaining the west, since thats where they publish it(Japan was self published by Square), the difference comes from media create sales numbers, which we only have knowledge of its retail sales.So the game sold well above 1.27.With shipped numbers and digital, it should be really close to 1.4 million.

Still not as good as I would have hoped, but great nonetheless.

Last edited by Nautilus - on 31 January 2019

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

colafitte said:
Baddman said:
Are you guys going to turn this into a thread about whos right n wrong because of a revised forecast. Anyway im happy seeing botw still selling so well and splatoon 2 in way to ten million

What's the point in making predictions in all of those threds asking how much is going to do a console or game then?? Why are we here in VGC??

But don't worry, i won't insist anymore. I made my point so no more derailing for me.

Good results for Nintendo in hardware and software sales.

Post it on the same thread of the "bet" or argument/discussion or privately message them.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

colafitte said:

I just want to remember a few things....

back in December 15:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8938973

back in January 03:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8948254

I guess nobody is going to apologize or admit defeat, and i won't put names, but you know who you are...

I have put my Jackson's Five outfit to sing with you that you are not alone.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."