By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

jonathanalis said:
Great run.
But 2019 is switch's. 2020 we will probably have ps5, but not for the entire year.
Also, ps4 took 5 years to reach its peak. If switch keep a strong momentum for years (considering it have space to price drops and revisions), it can still outsell ps5 first 2 or 3 years.

In a fantasy world maybe not in real life

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
People are already predicting success for the PS5 without knowing a damn thing about it. Reminds me of the talk just before the PS3 launch.

On the other hand we already know that the Switch is a successful console that is selling comparably to the PS4. Isn't it more logical prediction that the Switch will have the top spot for the next 4+ years?

That is called wishful thinking with  no facts to stand on, its so easy to dream of a world where sony isnt the king 8 years in a row right? Nah

BuckStud said:

Too bad that Sony had to nearly give PS4's away in the US to achieve those numbers.  $199 pretty much everywhere around me for about 6 weeks and a couple places had other discounts in place that brought the price down to the $150 range.  The Switch stayed pretty steady at $300 that whole time.

Your logo says stop hating, yet here you are hating heavily with no facts just built up anger from the past 8 years hmmm

User banned for this and other posts -Raven

Last edited by Raven - on 25 January 2019

PlayStation' Success always give some delightful salt.

Soon 3 PlayStation will be on the Top 3 of the highest home console sold ever

Last edited by Keiji - on 25 January 2019

Will be again next year since the Switch isn't a homeconsole.

Around the Network

8 years on top is nothing to sneeze at, but I think price drops and slim(mer) editions won't be quite enough to hold off a Switch take over *this year and quite likely 2020 as well. If PS4 does somehow manage to stay on top in 2019, they will have more than just my respect.

While I still have been thinking the possibility of PS5 showing up holiday 2019 was 50/50, with AMD staying silent about Navi after CES, and rumors that Navi has had minor manufacturing issues and will be pushed back until fall 2019 most likely, I can only imagine PS5 is likely to launch around March 2020 at the absolute earliest. Depends on what the specs and price is plus when and what XB will be launching with, that may allow PS to hold off until holiday 2020. With 'radio silence' in 2019, I can in no way see PS5 launching anytime in 2021. This should allow Switch to take the crown for two full years and possibly a third before PS5 or 'XB2' takes over.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 25 January 2019

The_Liquid_Laser said:
People are already predicting success for the PS5 without knowing a damn thing about it. Reminds me of the talk just before the PS3 launch.

On the other hand we already know that the Switch is a successful console that is selling comparably to the PS4. Isn't it more logical prediction that the Switch will have the top spot for the next 4+ years?

Because of their track record. 3/4 of their consoles have been dominant and did over 100 million so unless they make another huge mistake like pricing PS5 $200-300 more than the competition than they should have another huge hit on their hands.

No, 2019 & 2020 are very safe bets for Switch to win as PS4 will see steady decline while Switch should be at its peak in those years. 2021 is also possible, it depends on how strong PS5 starts out and how much Switch declines that year so I'll say 50/50. 2022 will almost definitely be PS5 win, it will start to hit its stride while Switch will really be showing its age.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ResilientFighter said:
Sony is worldwide sales king and there is no reasons it won't win again in 2019 if there is a permanent price cut down to 200 for the slim and 250 for the pro or maybe 300 more realisticly. Ghost of tsushima, last of us 2, death stranding, days gone etc will maintain interest in it as well

No 2019 is definitely a Switch win. At this point in a systems life (6th year) price cuts dont lead to YoY growth, they just help the decline from not being as large. Also, Switch has the potential to receive its own price cut or revision anyway and has big games as well like Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing & Pokemon Gen 8.

I'm guessing PS4 will see a 10-20% YoY drop and NSW will see a 10-20% YoY gain.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

People are allowed to give commentary on a topic that might conflict with your own, there is no need to make drive-by posts accusing people of being salty before it even happens. That said, all commentary and criticism made should be grounded in fact and expressed with respect for your fellow users. Keep it civil, please.

Last edited by Raven - on 25 January 2019

To put it into context, for the most part they were up against the Wii U and XBone with the most significant challenger being a handheld that parents thought would make their kids blind. The period that Sony dominated marked a substantial decline in the overall market, not reversed until the Switch entered in 2017.

2018 is the first time that a serious challenge has been presented, and it took the market by storm. During this year Nintendo will be unveiling their most powerful IP with Pokémon.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.