By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

Jumpin said:

2018 is the first time that a serious challenge has been presented, and it took the market by storm.

Despite that PS4 still won 2018 and it wasn't PS4's best year.

This year when we can already expect some new salt when PS4 will be above the Wii.

User Warned For This Post By ~PwerlvlAmy

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 25 January 2019

Around the Network

I think people are seriously underestimating a permanent price drop for the PS4. Look at all of the people lining up out the door in South Korea with their recent price drops. If you look at the last two Black Friday weeks in the U.S.- PS4 easily beat the competition and sold out everywhere. If Sony had provided more stock an extended the $199 promotion through December- it would have been an absolute bloodbath.

Jumpin said:
To put it into context, for the most part they were up against the Wii U and XBone with the most significant challenger being a handheld that parents thought would make their kids blind. The period that Sony dominated marked a substantial decline in the overall market, not reversed until the Switch entered in 2017.

2018 is the first time that a serious challenge has been presented, and it took the market by storm. During this year Nintendo will be unveiling their most powerful IP with Pokémon.

Yet still with probably the best 3D Zelda at the moment, one of the best 3D Mario’s, The best super smash bros to date, 2 casual Pokémon’s, Super Mario party, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and many other Nintendo games,   Between March 2017 and the end of 2018 the Switch got outsold by almost 8 millions to a 4-5 years old console with a base model at the same price (pro is $399).

ResilientFighter said:
jonathanalis said:
Great run.
But 2019 is switch's. 2020 we will probably have ps5, but not for the entire year.
Also, ps4 took 5 years to reach its peak. If switch keep a strong momentum for years (considering it have space to price drops and revisions), it can still outsell ps5 first 2 or 3 years.

In a fantasy world maybe not in real life

Care to show your real world number?

In the real world, it seems that switch will have a bigger 2019 then 2018. Is a fantasy imagine that switch can continue to sell at a 16M+ pacing per year? It still have revisions to show, price drops... these numbers doesnt seems too out of reality. PS4, meanwhile got to sell 14M in its second year. Supposing ps5 would be as successful as ps4, is well in the reality that switch might outsell it on its the second year. 3rd year of ps4 was 16.7M, switch might still not be too far off it, despite it being more difficult, do not seems that imposible...

BuckStud said:

Too bad that Sony had to nearly give PS4's away in the US to achieve those numbers.  $199 pretty much everywhere around me for about 6 weeks and a couple places had other discounts in place that brought the price down to the $150 range.  The Switch stayed pretty steady at $300 that whole time.

L ythis is so false ll

Around the Network

Sony's doing awesome for sure. Hope they don't get cocky though. They have a tendency to do that after success stories. I mean PS3 sold a shit ton and yet was a bigger failure than the Wii U in terms of money made. So hope they keep their heads down and do what they did with PS2 and ps4 and deliver an awesome PS5. But I do think that the next 3 years are the switch's since first year PS5 can't possibly cross switch just like switch first 2 years didn't. And remember that is with switch being ahead in the us in the same timeframe and massively still in Japan. Maybe even ps5's first 2 years it won't be no.1. we'll see what happens though. Do they screw up? Is it Microsoft's time to take back some of the gamers like it did with 360? How much close to PS4 will switch get and will it cross it? Definitely an interesting time in terms of analytics in gaming

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

This thread is VGChartz in a nutshell lol. Anyways congrats to Sony. Keep delivering the hits and I'll keep buyin.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Zombie9ers said:
I think people are seriously underestimating a permanent price drop for the PS4. Look at all of the people lining up out the door in South Korea with their recent price drops. If you look at the last two Black Friday weeks in the U.S.- PS4 easily beat the competition and sold out everywhere. If Sony had provided more stock an extended the $199 promotion through December- it would have been an absolute bloodbath.

The problem is it's not guaranteed sony will make a permanent price drop of that size. Maybe €250 price this year then €200 for the holidays. Then next year €200 permanently. I hope they are more aggressive but they are clearly going for profits. 

colafitte said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

As I said, this reminds me very much of talk about the PS3 before it launched.  At least at that point that Sony had a basically flawless track record.  Now they have the PS3 and Vita on their record.  They are definitely not flawless anymore.  Yet people still act like they are.

It really is nonsense to declare PS5 success, when they haven't even announced it yet.  Especially when you take into account that there is a new console on the market that is already very successful.

In the end, it's a matter of expectations. Would you bet money that PS5 is going to be a failure like no PS home console has been (PS3 was costly to Sony but it sold very well, similar to PS1 pace) or would you bet that PS4 is going to be at least as good as PS3?

By the time PS5 launch, Switch will be already almost 4 years old. PS5 won't compete against Switch at all...

I would bet money based on what I know.  About PS5 itself, I know nothing.  About it's competitor, the Switch, I know that it is already successful.  Therefore the safe money is on the Switch.

Hiku said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
People are already predicting success for the PS5 without knowing a damn thing about it. Reminds me of the talk just before the PS3 launch.

On the other hand we already know that the Switch is a successful console that is selling comparably to the PS4. Isn't it more logical prediction that the Switch will have the top spot for the next 4+ years?

And about PS3, it's worth noting that it was their biggest screw up, and it was still the top selling console in the world for several years.
Most people presume that Sony learned from the PS3 launch the hard way not to repeat that mistake again.
And presuming they don't, it's a fairly safe bet to expect that PS5 will do fairly well. Hell, even if they repeat that mistake, it may still do well since their worst selling console sold 87m.

The reason for that is consistency. Even down to the name of the console, it's very consistent in that we know what to expect. A standard home console, the same controller with some minor additions (only the PS3, again, tried something different initially with the boomerang), and all third parties on board since day -1.
It's a formula that has worked very well for them so far, and at this time there's no indication of it being a bad approach.

With Nintendo it's very hit or miss, because they often go a different route than the norm, whether its the controller/the way you play games, the storage media, or the console itself. And third parties on their home console is always a questionmark after SNES.

Will the newest Nintendo home console get the latest Final Fantasy or Resident Evil, etc? That's never been a question for the newest Playstation, but something everyone expects since before it even launches. And for good reason.

Now when it comes to Switch, there's still a lot of question marks about which games it will get or not.
This week for example has two huge releases for 'every other system' in Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3, both sitting high on Metacritic right now.
When PS5 and XB2 are around the corner, that means developers are already working on, or planning, new games that are even more demanding than the ones that are not on Switch today. So all things considered I don't think it's a clearcut safer bet to assume that Switch will handle the next 4+ years better than PS5.
3DS's two best years in the US were it's first two, so you never know how a system will sell. Especially one with many uncertainties. Though personally I think that in 2019 Switch will sell at least around the same as this year.

I don't know how Switch will do compared to PS5 though, but I feel it's safe to assume PS5 will do just fine, based on history, because it follows the same blueprint.

I have a very different view of the PS3.  I see it as a total failure.  Although, I am from the US and it was a total failure in the US, shut out by both the Wii and XBox360.  Perhaps a person would see it differently in a country where the XBox360 never took off.  Also, from Sony's perspective it was a total failure because it lost them a ton of money.  But some gamers might see it differently because it had decent marketshare for a few years.

We also have a different perspective on console brands, because you seem to think that console brands matter a great deal.  I do not think console brands matter at all.  How much did the Wii brand help the Wii U?  Not at all.  The PS2 brand didn't help the PS3 either.  The Playstation brand doesn't mean anything, because none of the console brands mean anything.  The Playstation brand will not help the PS5 sell at all.

great to hear, and will not be different this year, just thinking of the amazing games that are still coming