By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

zorg1000 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
People are already predicting success for the PS5 without knowing a damn thing about it. Reminds me of the talk just before the PS3 launch.

On the other hand we already know that the Switch is a successful console that is selling comparably to the PS4. Isn't it more logical prediction that the Switch will have the top spot for the next 4+ years?

Because of their track record. 3/4 of their consoles have been dominant and did over 100 million so unless they make another huge mistake like pricing PS5 $200-300 more than the competition than they should have another huge hit on their hands.

No, 2019 & 2020 are very safe bets for Switch to win as PS4 will see steady decline while Switch should be at its peak in those years. 2021 is also possible, it depends on how strong PS5 starts out and how much Switch declines that year so I'll say 50/50. 2022 will almost definitely be PS5 win, it will start to hit its stride while Switch will really be showing its age.

False.  You forgot to include the PSP and Vita.  Sony loses to Nintendo 50% of the time.  Their track record is the same as a coin flip.

Also, you are already declaring 2022 victory for PS5 and you don't know anything about it.  Everything we know about the PS5 comes from our own imagination.  Or do you have an insider source that the rest of us don't have?  All of these declarations about the PS5 are based on make believe and also on a track record that Sony doesn't actually have.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
PS will continue to be the dominant console until something challenges it.

What's so great about Switch is that Sony doesn't see it coming.

Nintendo's strategy is so 'out there' that by the time Sony responds it will be too late.

Sony have not responded to nintendo all gen, and they aint about to start. I really want to know what software do folks plan on buying on the NS in 2019 that will push units ahead of PS4. 

The way i see it, Sony took 2018 off and still sold 18 million......

It was a good run for ps4. Another 100m+ guaranteed.

Zombie9ers said:
I think people are seriously underestimating a permanent price drop for the PS4. Look at all of the people lining up out the door in South Korea with their recent price drops. If you look at the last two Black Friday weeks in the U.S.- PS4 easily beat the competition and sold out everywhere. If Sony had provided more stock an extended the $199 promotion through December- it would have been an absolute bloodbath.

But didn't you see the one post? Apparently, Sony has been giving PS4s away at $199 for weeks, now, in the US. Of course, that is complete FUD as it has been $299 all year and only dropped to $199 for the BF weekend.  

So, yea, I could see PS4 being on top, again, if they cut to $199. I only see this happening if they do get the PS5 out this year, though. If it's delayed to 2020, then I expect only a cut to $249.  That'll still help slow the decline.  Of course, Nintendo doesn't seem to have much going on for the beginning of the year, so it may allow PS4 to build a healthy lead.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
People are already predicting success for the PS5 without knowing a damn thing about it. Reminds me of the talk just before the PS3 launch.

On the other hand we already know that the Switch is a successful console that is selling comparably to the PS4. Isn't it more logical prediction that the Switch will have the top spot for the next 4+ years?

Not really. Year 3 is where Nintendo consoles usually see their peak, and then see a steady decline. I think this will be the year that Switch peaks. Probably a $249 price tag and/or revision and Pokemon. Nothing Nintendo has is going to match that going forward.

So, at most, Switch will have 2019 and 2020. In 2021, the PS5 will be hitting it's stride, while Switch will be on the way out.

As for PS5, we already know plenty about it. It'll be using a Ryzen CPU (seemingly to be 8 cores, given the recent CPU leak) and a Navi GPU (rumored to at least match a 1080 TI), both providing a nice leap in power. At least 16 GB of RAM (the obvious type being GDDR6.) And while we don't know the price, given that Sony has been releasing consoles for $399 this gen, I'd assume we'll see that same price tag next gen, as well, while MS pushes their most powerful iteration for $499.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 26 January 2019

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Was the PS3 not successful?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The_Liquid_Laser said:

No, Switch will not have console sellers releasing that late, as Nintendo has already released most of their big series on it. Nintendo hardware also doesn't have the brand recognition of PlayStation through the world.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
colafitte said:

In the end, it's a matter of expectations. Would you bet money that PS5 is going to be a failure like no PS home console has been (PS3 was costly to Sony but it sold very well, similar to PS1 pace) or would you bet that PS4 is going to be at least as good as PS3?

By the time PS5 launch, Switch will be already almost 4 years old. PS5 won't compete against Switch at all...

I would bet money based on what I know.  About PS5 itself, I know nothing.  About it's competitor, the Switch, I know that it is already successful.  Therefore the safe money is on the Switch.

So you basically are not answering my question because you're chicken out..... I guess that if i change the question and said to you something like "If you WERE FORCED to bet for or against PS5 what would yo do?" you still won't aswering me, right?

Would you not bet then, that the next Pokemon game on Switch is going to be a success? (we know nothing about the game, not even the name, but i'm pretty sure everyone here is expecting it to be a success), or the next 3D Mario game???, or maybe the next COD, or next FIFA, we know nothing about their next games either, so you won't bet they will succeed next year either? even if you were forced to do it?

ArchangelMadzz said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Was the PS3 not successful?

Because Sony loss billions of money in Ps3' sales

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2008/jun/25/sonyhaslostmorethan3bill

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-still-losing-on-every-playstation-3-it-sells/

The Ps3 was not a good profitable project in long run.  The PSP and PS3 years was the worst profitwise years for Sony.

Each generation have your own rules.

In portable scene, nintendo NEVER loses. 

In home console scene, Nintendo wins and Sony also wins, but don't have any norm. 

Microsoft in other hand...