By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

This is exactly the reason why Playstation was, is and will always be the king of video gaming!!!

Around the Network
loy310 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
PS will continue to be the dominant console until something challenges it.

What's so great about Switch is that Sony doesn't see it coming.

Nintendo's strategy is so 'out there' that by the time Sony responds it will be too late.

The way i see it, Sony took 2018 off and still sold 18 million......

Yeah, I guess if you call releasing their two fastest selling exclusives of all time taking the year off...

Hopefully, the streak will end this year. Don't get me wrong, I like PS4, and I understand why it has been on top throughout this generation. But, history shows that the leaders in this industry tend to get complacent. I prefer to see healthy competition, without a dominant player. I'm glad that Nintendo is back competing in a big way. Plus, it looks like MS is making smart moves that will likely help them next gen. Those are good signs. One or both of them need to squeeze Sony, so all three of them can push gaming forward.

colafitte said:

I was just joking...XD

But i disagree a lot in something you said. TLOU 2 won't affect more PS5 sales than PS4 ones... When PS5 launches it will sell everything Sony is capable to produce. If they produce 5M before year ends, they will sell them, if it's 6M the same. It doesn't need a TLOU II to sell, like PS4 didn't need any blockbuster exclusve game to sell more than 4M in just a month, even without Japan back in 2013.

And if PS4 indeed lowed the price to 200€ this month and 99€ in the holiday season it could sell more than 17-18M, more like 20M...lol.

Oh you are totally correct..... the PS5 wouldnt need TLOU2 to drive sales. I was just speaking hypothetically.

And a $199 PS4 right now and $99 in november and december will be a 20M seller. But sales will tank when it goes back up to $199. Lets not forget that sony will probably be losing money on the hardware at that price. Unless they take out the disc drive. 

I think thats something people forget when lookin at the PS2 and the PS4. It was easier getting a PS2 down to $99 than it will ever be with the PS4. Just the two drives it has (disc drive and HDD) already is like $55. And that is before you add APU, Ram and controller lol. 

Intrinsic said: 

I think thats something people forget when lookin at the PS2 and the PS4. It was easier getting a PS2 down to $99 than it will ever be with the PS4. Just the two drives it has (disc drive and HDD) already is like $55. And that is before you add APU, Ram and controller lol. 

PS2 also didnt get down to $99 until 2009 (9 years after launch) so expecting PS4 to be sold at that price ever is not realistic. Inflation is also a thing alot of people ignore, the days of $99 consoles is  simply over.

I mean PS1 Classic MSRP is $99, how on earth can PS4 get that low?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
loy310 said:

The way i see it, Sony took 2018 off and still sold 18 million......

Yeah, I guess if you call releasing their two fastest selling exclusives of all time taking the year off...

And securing marketing/bundle deals for the years two biggest 3rd party games (Red Dead 2 & Black Ops IIII) and having great holiday deals.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Keep it civil guys, PS4 wont win 2019 by any means.
But of course the PS4 will be a longevity king with total sales above 120M at the end of the day, Sony stopped PS3 production in ..30th May 2017.

Intrinsic said:

You got it totally wrong.

The PS4 is a mid range PC in x86 arch, manufactured on one SOC with cheap APU and unified RAM, it is not even capable of reading CD-ROM, the Pro has not 4K reader etc etc.

Sony is making a ton of money with every PS4 Slim/Pro sold right now, and it is selling so good, that this is no need to make a price cut. This is more revenue than units sold game for them. If they want to make a perma price drop, it should do it last year, this year it will not make that diff.

What stands for deals, the famous Pro+Spider bundle was sold out just before Cyber Monday, and Switch got bundles with MK8 + 100$ price drop.

. If you're in the USA, then you've missed all the good PS4 Black Friday deals - all the console bundles have gone back up to full price, which means your best bet is PS4 Slim 1TB Spider-Man Bundle for $349.99.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-26a-ps4-black-friday-and-cyber-monday-deals-2018-the-best-offers-on-consoles-games-psvr-and-more

KingofTrolls said:
Keep it civil guys, PS4 wont win 2019 by any means.
But of course the PS4 will be a longevity king with total sales above 120M at the end of the day, Sony stopped PS3 production in ..30th May 2017.

120M is a very low estimate.  I would say 125-130M easy.

For 2019, it depends on price cut and big AAA PS4 titles.   Anyway it doesn't matter that much, you know, if after 8 years of dominance, and an incredible longevity, Switch will sell more in 2019, and I'm wondering why you pointed out "to keep it civil", second nobody here said PS4 will sell more in 2019, just you cannot be sure about Switch winning. There was people who was sure about Swith winning in 2018, and it lost in the end.  Let's enjoy the game experience, RE2 is out, KH3 in 3 days, and all the good Nintendo and MS games. In the end we play videogames, not selling numbers.   Competition is good to have better games on all system.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

World is nice but how about the universe?  Unfortunately vgc doesn't seem to track anything outside this solar system.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 26 January 2019