By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

PS4 can make this year tight if it had a $199 price point. Don't underestimate Europe + ROW sales.

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:

and I'm wondering why you pointed out "to keep it civil", 

Because way 2many good ppl were banned already because some .... they got baited.

zorg1000 said:

and having great holiday deals.

Not that great deals. Look the post above.

Jumpin said:
To put it into context, for the most part they were up against the Wii U and XBone with the most significant challenger being a handheld that parents thought would make their kids blind. The period that Sony dominated marked a substantial decline in the overall market, not reversed until the Switch entered in 2017.

2018 is the first time that a serious challenge has been presented, and it took the market by storm. During this year Nintendo will be unveiling their most powerful IP with Pokémon.

That you're trying to downplay the PS4 by citing the failure of the Wii U is somehow really funny to me.  

KingofTrolls said: 

Switch got bundles with MK8 + 100$ price drop.

This is not true, no Switch bundle went under $299.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:
zorg1000 said:

and having great holiday deals.

Not that great deals. Look the post above.

It was $100 off with a game for a whole week in the US. Japan was the equivalent of $100 off with 2 games for almost a month. And many European countries had discounts for most of December.

Yes, it had great deals.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Those are remarkable good sales, beating the Switch's first two years while also being well underway in its lifespan. 2019 might be just big enough for the Switch to break this streak, but Sony could always make a big pricedrop and put that to the test.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

zorg1000 said:

This is not true, no Switch bundle went under $299.

Mario + Pokomon + Switch for 269 pounds.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7801708/nintendo-switch-black-friday-2018-uk-discount-bundle-latest/

zorg1000 said:

It was $100 off with a game for a whole week in the US.

Update 26/11 Welcome to Cyber Monday! Black Friday's smaller sibling is considerably more diminutive when it comes to deals, but there are still a few decent offers knocking around if you're in the market for a new PS4 and you missed the Black Friday rush. Quite a few of them went live over the weekend - for PS4 bundle deals, the best remains at eBay where you can still get a PS4 Slim 1TB with FIFA 19 and Rare Player Pack for £269.99 on eBay - that's not the cheapest deal, but it's the best for getting a PS4 Slim with the bigger hard drive. Read on for more PS4 bundle deals for Cyber Monday and PS4 game deals in the US and UK - we'll be updating this page all day.

We've seen the last of the really generous bundles, but you can still get a a PS4 Slim 500GB with Red Dead Redemption 2, some bonus DLC and Hidden Agenda for £219.85. If you've already got Red Dead, you can get the PS4 Slim 500GB FIFA 19 Bundle for £219.99. If you're in the USA, then you've missed all the good PS4 Black Friday deals - all the console bundles have gone back up to full price, which means your best bet is PS4 Slim 1TB Spider-Man Bundle for $349.99.

Intrinsic said:
colafitte said:

I was just joking...XD

But i disagree a lot in something you said. TLOU 2 won't affect more PS5 sales than PS4 ones... When PS5 launches it will sell everything Sony is capable to produce. If they produce 5M before year ends, they will sell them, if it's 6M the same. It doesn't need a TLOU II to sell, like PS4 didn't need any blockbuster exclusve game to sell more than 4M in just a month, even without Japan back in 2013.

And if PS4 indeed lowed the price to 200€ this month and 99€ in the holiday season it could sell more than 17-18M, more like 20M...lol.

Oh you are totally correct..... the PS5 wouldnt need TLOU2 to drive sales. I was just speaking hypothetically.

And a $199 PS4 right now and $99 in november and december will be a 20M seller. But sales will tank when it goes back up to $199. Lets not forget that sony will probably be losing money on the hardware at that price. Unless they take out the disc drive. 

I think thats something people forget when lookin at the PS2 and the PS4. It was easier getting a PS2 down to $99 than it will ever be with the PS4. Just the two drives it has (disc drive and HDD) already is like $55. And that is before you add APU, Ram and controller lol. 

Like we already discussed another time. The most probable thing happening is just a $50 price cut for every version, maybe around June, and another holiday season with $200 for base PS4, maybe this year better deals for PS4 pro (a $200 pro maybe? who knows). But all in all, PS4 should be this year around 16M more or less. If price cuts don't happen or are not as effective as expected it will do around 15M, and if Sony surprise us with better price cuts and deals than expected, maybe it could be close to 17M this year too. 

What i've learned about this gen is that is not wise to bet against PS4...We'll see what happens.

And about Switch...., if Switch doesn't have an interesting catalogue of games for the first 6-7 months, it can happen what happened in 2018. Good software sales that don't translate to more hardware sales. I know there's lot of games for Switch coming this year too, but i'm not seeing why this year is better than last. I think Switch has reached a point where more games won't translate to much more sales, at least not as much as some are expecting. Price cuts and revisions would help more, but i'm very convinced that Nintendo aproach this gen is not about units sales but about profits, so if they see they sell 17-18M (maybe a little more) at $300 in 2019 they are going to do it. So Switch should be the best selling console this year, but i have a feeling is not going to be as easy as predicted.