By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

colafitte said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
People are already predicting success for the PS5 without knowing a damn thing about it. Reminds me of the talk just before the PS3 launch.

On the other hand we already know that the Switch is a successful console that is selling comparably to the PS4. Isn't it more logical prediction that the Switch will have the top spot for the next 4+ years?

People are expecting PS5 to be a success because not only a Playstation have been the best home console the last 8 years, but it has been since 1996 except in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 (Wii was those years). So people are just using common sense...

Although i give you that the Switch is going to be the best selling home console in 2019 and 2020 at least.

As I said, this reminds me very much of talk about the PS3 before it launched.  At least at that point that Sony had a basically flawless track record.  Now they have the PS3 and Vita on their record.  They are definitely not flawless anymore.  Yet people still act like they are.

It really is nonsense to declare PS5 success, when they haven't even announced it yet.  Especially when you take into account that there is a new console on the market that is already very successful.

Around the Network

The salt in this thread, predictable.

BANNED: Trolling ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 26 January 2019

The_Liquid_Laser said:
colafitte said:

People are expecting PS5 to be a success because not only a Playstation have been the best home console the last 8 years, but it has been since 1996 except in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 (Wii was those years). So people are just using common sense...

Although i give you that the Switch is going to be the best selling home console in 2019 and 2020 at least.

As I said, this reminds me very much of talk about the PS3 before it launched.  At least at that point that Sony had a basically flawless track record.  Now they have the PS3 and Vita on their record.  They are definitely not flawless anymore.  Yet people still act like they are.

It really is nonsense to declare PS5 success, when they haven't even announced it yet.  Especially when you take into account that there is a new console on the market that is already very successful.

In the end, it's a matter of expectations. Would you bet money that PS5 is going to be a failure like no PS home console has been (PS3 was costly to Sony but it sold very well, similar to PS1 pace) or would you bet that PS4 is going to be at least as good as PS3?

By the time PS5 launch, Switch will be already almost 4 years old. PS5 won't compete against Switch at all...

Zombie9ers said:
PAOerfulone said:
I think Nintendo will be on top for the next two years since the PS5 won't likely release until Q4 2020, by then it'll be too little, too late. 2021 though...

I think Sony is up to something big this year.  They're not coming to E3 - so I think they're going to hold their own event to announce PS5.  Think they will announce it will launch early next year.  At the same time they'll drop the PS4 price to $249 - then have an extended $199 price promotion throughout the holidays.  If PS5 is backwards compatible to PS4 games- then I think the PS4 has a good chance of beating the Switch again this year.

I'm personally also in favor of this timeline (if it doesn't mean being unreasonably far behind in tech). Their big reveal event imo should atleast a good month ahead of E3 to minimize MS's big next box reveal there, so I think by end of march the press should have received invites for the show. I think the chances of the timeline happening drop dramatically if invites aren't sent out by then.

BuckStud said:

Too bad that Sony had to nearly give PS4's away in the US to achieve those numbers.  $199 pretty much everywhere around me for about 6 weeks and a couple places had other discounts in place that brought the price down to the $150 range.  The Switch stayed pretty steady at $300 that whole time.

Awwww. Too bad huh? Yeah, because every PS4 sold since fall 2013 was sold for $199 in the U.S only.....Right?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
BuckStud said:

Too bad that Sony had to nearly give PS4's away in the US to achieve those numbers.  $199 pretty much everywhere around me for about 6 weeks and a couple places had other discounts in place that brought the price down to the $150 range.  The Switch stayed pretty steady at $300 that whole time.

Stop hating.

PS will continue to be the dominant console until something challenges it.

What's so great about Switch is that Sony doesn't see it coming.

Nintendo's strategy is so 'out there' that by the time Sony responds it will be too late.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Sony is worldwide sales king and there is no reasons it won't win again in 2019 if there is a permanent price cut down to 200 for the slim and 250 for the pro or maybe 300 more realisticly. Ghost of tsushima, last of us 2, death stranding, days gone etc will maintain interest in it as well

ResilientFighter said:
Sony is worldwide sales king and there is no reasons it won't win again in 2019 if there is a permanent price cut down to 200 for the slim and 250 for the pro or maybe 300 more realisticly. Ghost of tsushima, last of us 2, death stranding, days gone etc will maintain interest in it as well

Damn, i'm so hyped for ghosts of tsushima.

No competition will do that (record sales)

Hubris is nearly always accompanied by a fall and Sony is facing the biggest competition ever.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!