By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ZhugeEX "Xbox One sales around 41m"

MS prediction before this gen was like 300M or 400M. Back to reality.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
At the same time during the 360 it sold 50m compared to XBO at 41m. Definitely a step down but hopefully next gen MS can rebound. They've been planting the seed to have a pretty good 9th gen.

People keep saying that, or that it will have a big launch. But I fail to see that happening. I mean all the studios  they bought up are either very small with no real big system seller, or a studio that already made exclusives for them. Also not to mention its only gona be a couple of years dv time since they acquire the studios to the supposed release of 2020.  I can only picture small games coming at launch of next gen and maybe a some bigger games mid gen and forward. Ninja theory is the only studio customers can actually expect something from. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

What about riding the PS4 gravy train for as long as possible as they're making money on it and are under no pressure to move on to the next gen?

When Sony released the PS2, the PS1 continued to sell with very long legs.  It's gravy train did not end when the PS2 released.
When Sony released the PS3, the PS2 continued its gravy train continued for a long time.
The PS4 is a very solid console like the PS1 and the PS2.  It will have strong legs even after the PS5 releases, regardless if it comes out in 2019 or a later year. 

What Sony needs to be worried about is the PS5.  The PS2 was the best selling console of all time and that did not help the PS3 one bit.  The PS4 is very solid, but that will not help the PS5 one bit.  The longer they wait to release the PS5, the harder time it will have in the marketplace.  The Switch already has a head start that is two years old and growing.  Are they going to let Microsoft have a head start too?  How much are they going to cripple the PS5 before it even launches?

Switch is in a different niche and won't impact PS5, just like it isn't impacting PS4. And letting MS go first has advantages for Sony; it lets them see Xbox's hand and work to counter it by making sure the PS5 is superior.

Evilms said:

For the moment it looks like :  PS4 > WiiU+XBO+Switch. 

It reminds me a little of the PS2 versus the xbox, game cube and the dreamcast :)

Hardly. That graph is skewed by PS4 being out for more than 5 years and Switch less than 2. Switch is selling at a similar pace to PS4, none of PS2's competitors sold anywhere near close to it.

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:
At the same time during the 360 it sold 50m compared to XBO at 41m. Definitely a step down but hopefully next gen MS can rebound. They've been planting the seed to have a pretty good 9th gen.

People keep saying that, or that it will have a big launch. But I fail to see that happening. I mean all the studios  they bought up are either very small with no real big system seller, or a studio that already made exclusives for them. Also not to mention its only gona be a couple of years dv time since they acquire the studios to the supposed release of 2020.  I can only picture small games coming at launch of next gen and maybe a some bigger games mid gen and forward. Ninja theory is the only studio customers can actually expect something from. 

With studio purchases in 2017 and 'XB2' launching holiday 2020 probably, You will likely have Halo Infinite as the big launch title which should hold the core XB fans over for quite a while, maybe even the first year with 2019 BC titles. Then you will probably have one or two GOW sized games drop throughout the year, year after year, mostly to hype Game Pass. They may not be quite GOW level quality, but worthy more intimate story driven titles that MS doesn't typically have on their platform. Let the third parties do most of the gap filling with multi player. There is enough time to make this happen and will be enough to put XB on solid ground and stop the remaining bleeds. They will have to really up their game beyond this as the gen goes on with some new blockbuster IP, if they want to reclaim any lost ground. It's definitely doable but won't be easy as PS isn't likely to let up much if any at all.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

When Sony released the PS2, the PS1 continued to sell with very long legs.  It's gravy train did not end when the PS2 released.
When Sony released the PS3, the PS2 continued its gravy train continued for a long time.
The PS4 is a very solid console like the PS1 and the PS2.  It will have strong legs even after the PS5 releases, regardless if it comes out in 2019 or a later year. 

What Sony needs to be worried about is the PS5.  The PS2 was the best selling console of all time and that did not help the PS3 one bit.  The PS4 is very solid, but that will not help the PS5 one bit.  The longer they wait to release the PS5, the harder time it will have in the marketplace.  The Switch already has a head start that is two years old and growing.  Are they going to let Microsoft have a head start too?  How much are they going to cripple the PS5 before it even launches?

Switch is in a different niche and won't impact PS5, just like it isn't impacting PS4. And letting MS go first has advantages for Sony; it lets them see Xbox's hand and work to counter it by making sure the PS5 is superior.

Evilms said:

For the moment it looks like :  PS4 > WiiU+XBO+Switch. 

It reminds me a little of the PS2 versus the xbox, game cube and the dreamcast :)

Hardly. That graph is skewed by PS4 being out for more than 5 years and Switch less than 2. Switch is selling at a similar pace to PS4, none of PS2's competitors sold anywhere near close to it.

Ya that graph is more like

PS4=PS1

XBO=N64

Wii U=Saturn

NSW=Gameboy Color

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
colafitte said:

You think so?. XBO seems to have sold around 6'5M in 2018. If XBO sells, let's say, 5M in 2019, it will need 4M before next XBOX launch in 2020 (all of this if next XBO launch in 2020 and not in 2019).

I really think it won't reach 50M before that.

9 million in nearly two years? I see it happening.

This last week it already dropped to sub 100k listed at 85k, it would need to maintain this level of sales for 105 weeks to make 9,000,000 units. I can't see the X1 pulling 85k a week unless they start bundling the console with copies of games.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
CGI-Quality said:

9 million in nearly two years? I see it happening.

This last week it already dropped to sub 100k listed at 85k, it would need to maintain this level of sales for 105 weeks to make 9,000,000 units. I can't see the X1 pulling 85k a week unless they start bundling the console with copies of games.

It's not going to stay at 85k every week, it'll increase during the holidays.

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:

And these people always forget that MS always lose in Europe aka biggest market of the world and Asia.

Last edited by Keiji - on 25 January 2019

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

you're talking about what... 8 weeks over the next 100 that it might rise over 85k? how many of the next 100 weeks do you imagine it will be sub 85k? because I'd wager at around 92 of them.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

you're talking about what... 8 weeks over the next 100 that it might rise over 85k? how many of the next 100 weeks do you imagine it will be sub 85k? because I'd wager at around 92 of them.

It's not down much from this time in 2018 and it sold how much last year?

Besides which, it's likely going to be around for more than another 105 weeks anyway.