By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ZhugeEX "Xbox One sales around 41m"

colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

Well yeah nobody is going to admit anything about a revision/price cut until they are ready to announce it.

Remember back in 2012 when Miyamoto said in an interview that they had no plans for a 3DS revision and 3 weeks later a revision was announced?

Companies announce things on their terms, not when people ask them in interviews.

I know, i know, every company is a bunch of liars about these things, but It was the way how they said it. They sound convinced Switch is doing extremely good and doesn't need any revision or price cut. I think they're telling the truth and i think the same. Revisions and price cuts is losing money when your console is going to sell 17-18M anyway in an upward trend while the software sales keeps getting better and better.

That's what Sony did with PS4 after the $300 price seemed to work fine (the only revision was cosmetical) and i think Nintendo is going to do the same...

To add one more thing, I think they were specifically talking about this FY, as in if they are willing to cut the price if it looks like they will miss their fiscal year target.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Landale_Star said:
ironmanDX said:

As we all know, the WiiU is just an add on to the Wii. Wii to sell 200 million and become greatest selling console ever?

But the Wii was just a glorified Gamecube with motion controls. Gamecube is Nintendo's greatest success ever?

My God...... You're right. The Wii was just 2 gamecubes stuck together... 350 million lifetime?

Wow, vgchartz is doing good.
It will have a good competition with SNES.

Jigsawx1 said:
so its an anlayst.... normally we dont trust them .......

His source is official though. He's just passing on the info. 

Hiku said:
Kerotan said:

He also mentioned digital sales are high but that the total install base is only around 41m. That's about 2m lower then we have it here on Vgchartz so we might want to make some adjustments.

On the front page I see XBO at 41.3M as of Jan 5.
Does that include holiday sales?

Yes. Vgchartz had it over 43m but adjusted it down with this news. 

zorg1000 said:

I really dont get all the generation talk, it's this simple when PS4/XBO/Wii U were the main platforms, those were current gen. PS4/XBO are still the main platforms and Nintendo replaced Wii U with NSW, now those are current gen. In the next 2 years Sony/MS will replace PS4/XBO with PS5/XB4 and Nintendo will stick to NSW, when that happens PS5/XB4/NSW will be current gen.

I dont think anyone other than Wikipedia lists generations by numbers, it's usually just previous, current or next.

I don't get the generation thing either...... but the numbering structure for generations have been there. And I don't think wikipedia invented it.

What you are describing though is current and next or last gen. And that I can relate with that cause its a far less convoluted way to look at things. I mean we just take whatever is in current circulation and group them together.

Around the Network

At the same time during the 360 it sold 50m compared to XBO at 41m. Definitely a step down but hopefully next gen MS can rebound. They've been planting the seed to have a pretty good 9th gen.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

I really dont get all the generation talk, it's this simple when PS4/XBO/Wii U were the main platforms, those were current gen. PS4/XBO are still the main platforms and Nintendo replaced Wii U with NSW, now those are current gen. In the next 2 years Sony/MS will replace PS4/XBO with PS5/XB4 and Nintendo will stick to NSW, when that happens PS5/XB4/NSW will be current gen.

I dont think anyone other than Wikipedia lists generations by numbers, it's usually just previous, current or next.

I don't get the generation thing either...... but the numbering structure for generations have been there. And I don't think wikipedia invented it.

What you are describing though is current and next or last gen. And that I can relate with that cause its a far less convoluted way to look at things. I mean we just take whatever is in current circulation and group them together.

You might be right, I just cant recall ever hearing Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft or any major 3rd party publisher refer to any console as 7th/8th/9th/etc gen.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I do believe that Switch is 9th gen and it has a 30M+ lead.  Yes.

But I would like to understand

1. what you mean exactly by "technology"?  
  2. What generation would you put the Wii into?

1. At the core of every generation is the technology that drives the software (games) development. This can be game engines (UE4 8th gen, UE3 7th gen, Unity, Frostbyte engine, RE Engine......etc). Those engines literally determine which platforms gets games and which ones don't. So now the NS supports most of those engines but the WiiU doesnt support them hence the NS shares its games library with the PS4/XB1.

There of course is also tech stuff like memory amount. You have t be within a certain range of RAM t even remotely be able to run games from a given generation. The NS has about 2.5/3GB of ram which is about half of what the PS4/XB1 has But then games are ported down to run at half the rez using half the quality f the assets from their PS4/XB1 iterations s it can work. That will be impossible when porting a game designed to run n a system with 16GB-20GB of ram available to it down t one with like 3GB of ram.

2. Thats simple..... 7th gen right along the PS3/360. 

jason1637 said:
At the same time during the 360 it sold 50m compared to XBO at 41m. Definitely a step down but hopefully next gen MS can rebound. They've been planting the seed to have a pretty good 9th gen.

But the gap is only going to get worse because 360 hasnt even has its peak year yet. In 2011 360 did 13.8 million which is more than double what XBO will do this year.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

You might be right, I just cant recall ever hearing Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft or any major 3rd party publisher refer to any console as 7th/8th/9th/etc gen.

Honestly neither have I.