By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide December 2018 sales

I'm using vgchartz numbers and for the month as a whole its

NSW-5.2 million

PS4-2.8 million

XBO-1.4 million

3DS-0.6 million

Total-10 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Bloody hell, Switch outsells every other platform combined! Absolute domination.

(Assuming these numbers are anywhere close to accurate of course)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 January 2019

Dont think switch outsold ps4 by 2.4m. It outsold ps4 by like 1.5m in japan and north America but id think it was even or ps4 outsold switch in europe and rest of the world since there was a price cut in europe and Australia

There's a new King of the Jungle, and it's name is the Nintendo Switch.

PAOerfulone said:

Iirc last year Switch outsold the PS4 during the Holidays. I think we will go back to seeing the PS4 outselling the Switch consistently on a weekly basis sometime in January. 

Around the Network

Thanks For Sharing his Post.

Last edited by seo - on 22 January 2019

Clearly expected with the biggest Nintendo game in history!

jason1637 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Iirc last year Switch outsold the PS4 during the Holidays. I think we will go back to seeing the PS4 outselling the Switch consistently on a weekly basis sometime in January. 

Definitely not over the entire holiday period. Switch was way behind in November, and only 400k ahead in December.

In 2017, PS4 sold 7.6M during November+December and Switch sold 6.0M.
In 2018, PS4 sold 6.6M during November+December and Switch sold 8.5M.

It went from a 1.6M PS4 lead to a 1.9M Switch lead, which is a net swing of 3.5M in favor of Switch.

Last edited by StarDoor - on 23 January 2019

jason1637 said:
PAOerfulone said:

I don't think so.
2018 was the PS4's peak year in software with Sony putting out one of the best 1st Party lineups in one year they have ever done. Plus some key 3rd party titles that notably pushed hardware like Monster Hunter World and Red Dead Redemption 2. Plus, it had its biggest Black Friday boost with the $199 Spider-Man bundle. But then it immediately followed its best November ever with one of its weakest Decembers, just barely beating out 2013 and 2014.

Despite an absolutely incredible year of software and releases, it was still down YoY by over 2 million from 2017. If it was down by that much considering what games came out in 2018, how much more will it go down this year when a) The vast majority of the market that wants the system, has it. And b) with a release schedule that, while still good, is not on the same level as 2018? 

I think we should expect the weekly baseline for the PS4 to regress back to 2014 levels or just slightly above it. The system is beginning to show its age & has reached that saturation point. With the PS5's reveal and launch looming closer and hype for that system beginning to build, it's gonna start taking its toll on the PS4.

Meanwhile, the Switch is now hitting its stride and its weekly baseline should be higher than what it was in 2018. Or at the very least, basically flat. As far as its release schedule for games is concerned, it's the opposite of the PS4, 2019 is primed and poised to be a considerably greater year for Switch games than 2018 was. 

It's not rocket science. The Switch is climbing higher & higher and just beginning to hit its peak, while the PS4 is dropping lower & lower and has just passed its peak. 

So for overall 2018 the vgchartz numbers has PS4 ahead by around half a million right? Fantastic year for both Nintendo and Sony.