By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide December 2018 sales

Skeeuk said:
Switch will die off in January which is proof to me its not a console people run out to buy for themself's. Its a case of either il wait till Xmas to get one or people buying a gift for someone

I know you wish it died off but the truth is that you and me know that it won't. I mean, the indication is that it had a better January than previous year so i'm sorry to say that you might need to face the reality that the Switch isn't gonna go away.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It's always something isn't it? "The Wii is only selling cos of soccer mums!" "The Switch is only selling cos people are buying it for others!" "The Wii is just a fad, it'll fall off a cliff in 2008!"

Some people really have a hard time accepting it when Nintendo succeeds.

Bold: Nah, man. Everybody does that. You mostly notice it regarding Nintendo because that's the company you favor.

Literally, the latest comment in the PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 thread is guilty of this.

1. Switch only lost because it had a poorly paced releasing schedule
2. Switch only lost because it had more spots with nothing major
3. PS4 only won because it had great releases all the year
4. PS4 only won by a slim margin, Switch could win next year

It's always something isn't it?

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

It's always something isn't it? "The Wii is only selling cos of soccer mums!" "The Switch is only selling cos people are buying it for others!" "The Wii is just a fad, it'll fall off a cliff in 2008!"

Bold: Nah, man. Everybody does that. You mostly notice it regarding Nintendo because that's the company you favor.

Literally, the latest comment in the PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 thread is guilty of this.

They will naturally be downplayers on every side. But the frequency of downplaying is not equal. Nintendo evokes a particular hatred as many still see it as a threat to what they perceive to be the natural order of things.

curl-6 said:
Replicant said:

They will naturally be downplayers on every side. But the frequency of downplaying is not equal. Nintendo evokes a particular hatred as many still see it as a threat to what they perceive to be the natural order of things.

Nah, both Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, and PC have those extreme "fans" that are only capable of seeing things from their own biased perspective.

Many PS related threads on this site are derailed by haters as well.

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

Nah, both Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, and PC have those extreme "fans" that are only capable of seeing things from their own biased perspective.

Many PS related threads on this site are derailed as well.

I haven't disagreed with any of that. But beyond just brand loyalty, there's a different kind of negative reaction Nintendo provokes among many, the reaction caused when the perceived norm, the "way things are/should be" is disrupted.

The PS1, PS2, and PS4's dominance for many years created a paradigm where, in the home space at least, complete Sony domination was seen as the natural order of things. First the Wii and now the Switch challenged this paradigm. This kind of disruption almost always provokes strong negative reactions.

Add to that the persisting associations many still hold that Nintendo = kiddy/casual = bad, and PS = hardcore = good, and Nintendo success elicits a particular anger distinct from just the usual "my plastic box is better than yours."

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Replicant said:

Many PS related threads on this site are derailed as well.

I haven't disagreed with any of that. But beyond just brand loyalty, there's a different kind of negative reaction Nintendo provokes among many, the reaction caused when the perceived norm, the "way things are/should be" is disrupted.

The PS1, PS2, and PS4's dominance for many years created a paradigm where, in the home space at least, complete Sony domination was seen as the natural order of things. First the Wii and now the Switch challenged this paradigm. This kind of disruption almost always provokes strong negative reactions.

Add to that the persisting associations many still hold that Nintendo = kiddy/casual = bad, and PS = hardcore = good, and Nintendo success elicits a particular anger distinct from just the usual "my plastic box is better than yours."

Bold: But that's the thing. I see just as many hateful comments from extreme Nintendo fans that I do from extreme PS fans (at least on this site). So I don't see this "different kind of negative reaction" or "particular anger" against Nintendo.

I don't see Nintendo being called the "kiddy/casual" console more often than I see PS being called the "COD/FIFA/bad taste" console. For instance, try enter a thread about PS software doing good in the UK. You can be sure to see posts claiming that PS users have bad taste/only play bad games.

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

Bold: But that's the thing. I see just as many hateful comments from extreme Nintendo fans that I do from extreme PS fans (at least on this site). So I don't see this "different kind of negative reaction" or "particular anger" against Nintendo.

I don't see Nintendo being called the "kiddy/casual" console more often than I see PS4 being called the "COD/FIFA/bad taste" console. For instance, try enter a thread about PS software doing good in the UK. You can be sure to see posts claiming that PS users have bad taste/only play bad games.

I definitely see a lot of people on both sides too, and you're right that I would be more prone to notice those that are negative to my company of choice.

This has simply been my observation over the years, that anytime the established order of things is disrupted, a lot of people will always be uncomfortable with that and attack that which is seen as aberrant.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 January 2019

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

None of those can be considered downplaying though because they say nothing negative about PS4.

On the other hand you have recent posts in that same thread saying that Switch sales arent impressive because it's a handheld+console which absolutely counts as downplaying.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PS4 outsold Switch in 2018, it is impossible for it to outsold Switch in 2019, but still it will push a very healthy volume.
I wonder what this year sales will be, N consoles have its peak generally faster than PS.

curl-6 said:
Replicant said:

I don't see Nintendo being called the "kiddy/casual" console more often than I see PS4 being called the "COD/FIFA/bad taste" console. For instance, try enter a thread about PS software doing good in the UK. You can be sure to see posts claiming that PS users have bad taste/only play bad games.

I definitely see a lot of people on both sides too, and you're right that I would be more prone to notice those that are negative to my company of choice.

This has simply been my observation over the years, that anytime the established order of things is disrupted, a lot of people will always be uncomfortable with that.

Bold: I'll take your word for it. There may be some truth to that.

It's a pity that the few loud haters are ruining it for the majority. So many calm and casual users have left the site because they got tired of the same old song playing day after day.

And it's silly because the sales of Switch, PS4 and XB1 prove that they can all thrive simultaneously which means that our favorite hobby and favorite games are secured for the future. My personal lifetime predictions put PS4 at 120m, Switch at 90m (potentially bigger with a Switch Pro or Lite) and XB1 at 65m.

The real threats to the industry that we know and love are probably Amazon and Google taking over with streaming and Apple entering handheld gaming with the iPod gaming device. So in a way, we should rather unite