By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch had highest selling Tales of Vesperia SKU in the U.K.!

Nice, I hope it matches it or outsells it WW, also hope the same for the next mainline title if it comes to the Switch. This is the one series I really want it to appear consistently on Nintendo systems.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Farsala said:

@both but again the difference in sales is like... 200 physical sales. We don't have a clue if it outsold the PS4 version entirely in the UK, and even if it did it is by such statistically insignificant numbers.

Tales of Vesperia is also a very late port for both Switch and PS4, if it were a brand new game I could see more excitement.

Vesperia is a remaster not a late port they've even added in more dubbing this is a brand new release on all platforms, considering UK is NS' weakest market by a significant margin the NS version of the gaming selling more or even matching the PS4 version is an interesting feat as the series has normally been associated with the PS brand for most part.

This post is all sorts of wrong...

A remaster is a late port, they didn't change any gameplay or major plot points. UK is certainly not NS' weakest market, that would probably be the multitude of smaller countries in Eastern Europe, Middle Eastern Countries, or countries it hasn't even released in like China.

Tales has had recent and past success on the PS brand, but it has always been a multiplat franchise, especially in the west.

Here is each release and their original platform.

1995: SNES

1997: PS1

2000: PS1

2002: PS2

2003: Gamecube

2004: PS2

2005: PS2

2007: DS

2008: 360

2008: DS

2009: Wii

2010-2016: PS3

And then the multitude of ports just like Vesperia.

Acevil said:
Farsala said:

@both but again the difference in sales is like... 200 physical sales. We don't have a clue if it outsold the PS4 version entirely in the UK, and even if it did it is by such statistically insignificant numbers.

Tales of Vesperia is also a very late port for both Switch and PS4, if it were a brand new game I could see more excitement.

The three versions sold more than the original version by 40.7%.  

Good to know. But 3 consoles> 1. Also shows the deterioration of the XB audience, if the XB1 version sold that much less than the 360 version.

Farsala said:
Acevil said:

The three versions sold more than the original version by 40.7%.  

Good to know. But 3 consoles> 1. Also shows the deterioration of the XB audience, if the XB1 version sold that much less than the 360 version.

Last generation xbox I think was the healthiest console in UK, so I wouldn't call it the XB Audience when comparing Xbox 360 to Xbox One. However it really does feel like 2>1, which is fair enough. Xbox One was basically no show. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 15 January 2019

Farsala said:
The difference in sales is really not that much considering it debuted at #9 and its 49% vs 43% physical sales. I don't really see the point in the excitement, but hey the little wins, right?

Both XB1 and PS4 have much higher install base (like 3-5x at least) than Switch in UK, so point that Switch sold much better than XB1 and sold better even PS4 (at least when comes to physical sales) its very intresting.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Wyrdness said:

Vesperia is a remaster not a late port they've even added in more dubbing this is a brand new release on all platforms, considering UK is NS' weakest market by a significant margin the NS version of the gaming selling more or even matching the PS4 version is an interesting feat as the series has normally been associated with the PS brand for most part.

A remaster is a late port, they didn't change any gameplay or major plot points. UK is certainly not NS' weakest market, that would probably be the multitude of smaller countries in Eastern Europe, Middle Eastern Countries, or countries it hasn't even released in like China.

Tales has had recent and past success on the PS brand, but it has always been a multiplat franchise, especially in the west.

If we're only talking western console/handheld releases, then no.  Let's look at western 'Tales of' releases per hardware manufacturer:

Nintendo: (5) Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia
Sony: (13) Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Hearts R, Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria, Tales of Vesperia
Microsoft: (1) Tales of Vesperia

The 'Tales of' series has a very small footprint on western Nintendo platforms compared to Sony (especially in the last 15 years) and that's why it's very interesting to a lot of people that the Switch version of Tales of Vesperia beat the PS4 version in the UK despite the PS4 having a 4x install base advantage in the region.

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:
The difference in sales is really not that much considering it debuted at #9 and its 49% vs 43% physical sales. I don't really see the point in the excitement, but hey the little wins, right?

Both XB1 and PS4 have much higher install base (like 3-5x at least) than Switch in UK, so point that Switch sold much better than XB1 and sold better even PS4 (at least when comes to physical sales) its very intresting.

Interesting in what regard?  What correlation is there between install bases and the Tales games to draw from?

wombat123 said:
Farsala said:

If we're only talking western console/handheld releases, then no.  Let's look at western 'Tales of' releases per hardware manufacturer:

Nintendo: (5) Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia
Sony: (13) Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Hearts R, Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria, Tales of Vesperia
Microsoft: (1) Tales of Vesperia

The 'Tales of' series has a very small footprint on western Nintendo platforms compared to Sony (especially in the last 15 years) and that's why it's very interesting to a lot of people that the Switch version of Tales of Vesperia beat the PS4 version in the UK despite the PS4 having a 4x install base advantage in the region.

Again what does the install base have to do with anything?  If the market for Tales games is capped at a certain number, having a higher install base doesnt mean much, and since we don't  have the comparison to the last Tales to be released (for the PS4 only), we can't reference anything.

Farsala said:
Wyrdness said:

Here is each release and their original platform.

1995: SNES

1997: PS1

2000: PS1

2002: PS2

2003: Gamecube

2004: PS2

2007: DS

2008: 360

2008: DS

2009: Wii

2010-2016: PS3

And then the multitude of ports just like Vesperia.

No a remaster is as the name implies a sprucing up of a game for the modern era with out fully remaking the game an example is OOT on 3DS it's not a remake but has been touched up for today's standards you don't need to change plot points or gameplay, you're also reaching with the markets part as bringing up countries it's not out in is more than a reach because it would be like saying well it's not out in Antarctica so that's it's weakest region that type of argument goes into fallacy territory.

I think you should read what I said as I never implied that it hasn't been multi platform I said it's more associated with the PS brand which you even admitted yourself.

Man that 8% aint looking good for the Xbox One version, wouldn't be shocked if the next Tales skips Xbox One again while sticking to PS4/Switch/PC. 

peachbuggy said:

Shiken said:
I feel like a game like this, which is not very demanding anyway, is sure to have higher Switch sales than PS4 sales. There is really no reason to choose the PS4 version over the Switch if you have both in this case.

Going by indicators in Japan, (COMG chart etc.) it appears the PS4 version is going to outsell the Switch version 1st week, which will be almost a flip flop of the situation in the U.K. Market.

I am fully expecting the PS4 version to have a better opening in Japan, but the Switch version to have stronger legs and eventually over take the PS4 version just like what happened with Dragon Quest Builders 2 recently.