By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devil May Cry 5 is the Best Looking 60 fps game on consoles

Mar1217 said:
I'd consider Yoshi's Crafted World as one of the better uses of UE4, so nah I completly disagree with OP ... especially when Bayonetta 3 is lurking right behind waiting for Gameplay reveal.

Yoshi is definitely the best use of UE4 on Switch to date, and looks absolutely beautiful, but it's going to be tough for Bayonetta 3 to stand up to DMC5 graphically simply due to the hardware disparity.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
shikamaru317 said:
Capcom needs to license out the RE engine to other devs, I am very impressed with it so far. DMC V is outputting the kind of graphics we see on UE4 games running at 30 fps, but at 45-60 fps with 2 months still to optimize it and possibly hit a locked 60 fps.

I'd rather developers continue to build their own engines. Trust me ~ the results will generally favor that. I've seen some amazing things with UE4, no doubt, but proprietary engines have a specific focus, and thus, garner better results. No UE4 game, for example, quite competes with the likes of stuff like Battlefront because DICE uses it for specific reasons. Granted, with UE4 in the right hands, such as the Coalition, the results are fantastic, but then, that supports my ideology on it. 'Right hands' are keywords. Unreal Engine  games eventually start to have a very similar aesthetic and look (last gen, it was glossiness and brown, while with UE4, other effects tend to be overblown, like depth of field and motion blur).

Now sure, someone would say, "but CGI, that can be achieved with any engine". Well.....not quite. UE3 was a wonderful engine for general purposes, and some of the fruits produced by including it in the labor were quite the lookers, but go back and truly evaluate how/why they reached that goal. Gears of War, once again, made the best use of UE3. The reason? The focus was specific. This gen is no different. The best looking games were achieved on proprietary engines.

Then again, it could be that I am just a picky 3D Artist that wants to see these guys strive for better because I've already seen better.

Personally I'd really love to see what could be achieved on the Switch with a proprietary engine built to max it out. We've seen some commendable results on the platform already with the likes of Snowdrop, UE3/4, and id Tech 6, but those are more built for PS4/Xbone/PC and adapted to run on Switch. Games like Kingdom Battle, Outlast II, and Yoshi's Crafted World look great and all, but it would be awesome to see a game that gets right down to the metal and makes the hardware really sing in the way that say, God of War Ascension or Beyond Two Souls did for PS3, or The Last of Us Part II looks set to do for the PS4.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 January 2019

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Personally I'd really love to see what could be achieved on the Switch with an in-house engine built to max it out. We've seen some commendable results on the platform already with the likes of Snowdrop, UE3/4, and id Tech 6, but those are more built for PS4/Xbone/PC and adapted to run on Switch. Games like Kingdom Battle, Outlast II, and Yoshi's Crafted World look great and all, but it would be awesome to see a game that gets right down to the metal and makes the hardware really sing in the way that say, God of War Ascension or Beyond Two Souls did for PS3, or The Last of Us Part II looks set to do for the PS4.

Which will require proprietary engines.

Well yeah, that's what I meant, dunno why I wrote in-house instead of proprietary. I was agreeing with you, just also highlighting that I'd particularly be interested in the Switch in particular benefit from what you describe, given there hasn't been much effort so far put into getting the best possible graphics out of it.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Well yeah, that's what I meant, dunno why I wrote in-house instead of proprietary. I was agreeing with you, just also highlighting that I'd particularly be interested in the Switch in particular benefit from what you describe, given there hasn't been much effort so far put into getting the best possible graphics out of it.

Metroid Prime 4 and the next Zelda might be just that.

Eh, I don't know, Nintendo tends not to push graphical limits these days. They mostly just focus on their games being bright and colourful and running smoothly, or in the case of Zelda, on scale and interactivity.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 January 2019

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Eh, I don't know, Nintendo tends not to push graphical limits these days. They mostly just focus on their games being bright and colourful and running smoothly, or in the case of Zelda, on scale and interactivity.

So you'd say BoTW didn't push the WiiU ? I mean, it used rendering techniques that are on the levels of stuff you could only do in this current gen, far above 360/PS3 power level.

It did push the Wii U, but as a result of its size and all the interactive elements, the quality of individual assets like models and textures had to the sacrificed, so while it was a technical achievement, it wasn't a graphical showpiece.

Around the Network

Does rdr2 run in 60fps on the pro?? If it did, would be the best.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

It did push the Wii U, but as a result of its size and all the interactive elements, the quality of individual assets like models and textures had to the sacrificed, so while it was a technical achievement, it wasn't a graphical showpiece.

So, you'd prefer a game showing graphical prowess over another one showing great interactivity and scale ?

Not every game is about interactivity and scale. BOTW is, and that's what makes it great, but there's nothing wrong with other games being linear and more compact, and that's the case where you'll get the maximum graphical quality.

KratosLives said: 
Does rdr2 run in 60fps on the pro?? If it did, would be the best.

No, RDR2 on the Pro is 30fps with some dips in towns.

Speaking of UE4 and best looking 60fps games, it's looking like Yoshi's Crafted World may be about to seize the throne of prettiest game on Switch, though to do so it has the challenging task of surpassing Mario Odyssey and FAST RMX, both of which are also 60fps.

Xephirus said:

UE4 isn't a failure.
Many good-looking console games are using it: Ace Combat 7, Gears 4-5, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Soulcalibur VI, DQ XI, Tekken 7, Hellblade, Days Gone...

Even Square Enix replaced Luminous Engine with this.

Unreal Engine 4 is crap compared to the other game engines I mentioned here. These engines do high fidelity graphics at sometimes 1080p 60 fps on base consoles. Unreal engine 4 games are not as graphically impressive, and run at less than optimal resolutions and framerates on consoles.

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the only Unreal Engine 4 game on consoles which runs 1080p 60 fps but it isn't graphically impressive while Soulcalibur 6 and Tekken 7 are the only other 60 fps games with decent visuals but are 900p games.

flashfire926 said:

Nope. Gran Turismo Sport is the best looking 60fps title this gen.

edit: UE4 a failure? By what metric?

Gran Turismo Sport is definitely up there but Devil May Cry 5 looks amazing on Xbox One X and is 4K 60 fps.

Read the above reply for why Unreal Engine 4 wasn't that good.

Mar1217 said:
I'd consider Yoshi's Crafted World as one of the better uses of UE4, so nah I completly disagree with OP ... especially when Bayonetta 3 is lurking right behind waiting for Gameplay reveal.

Yoshi is not close to being graphically impressive in any shape and form. We haven't seen anything from Bayonetta 3 but as its a Switch game it will not look as good as Devil May Cry 5.

Great Character models but nothing else impresses me.

Battlefront II is my pick