By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

Conina said:
Jigsawx1 said:

Because the nintendo hardware is too weak

Which is a non-issue when we talk about streaming... the client device doesn't have to be powerful.

So why not PSNow (with PS3 + PS4 games) and Project Xcloud (Xbox games) and Shadow (PC games) streamed on Switch?

Most likely Sony gets its ass kicked in the "streaming" wars by the real big boys, which are Google and Microsoft. Probably Netflix or Apple will also try to get in with their own service. 

Once physical hardware goes away, the game market that you guys are arguing about is pretty much gone, it's never going to be the same again after that and there's a fat chance in hell Sony can in the long term compete against a company like Google. Even Microsoft, XBox as a physical hardware brand is just a fun side hobby for MS that they don't take that seriously, but a streaming service would be central to their Cloud business and would have the full backing and full weight of MS' board of directors. That means they'd be able to outspend Sony like crazy and that's a very different beast from what Sony deals with now. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:

They are not even remotely related, the conditions for such scenarios are completrely polar oposite.....

But Ill leave it here, because it seems that you wont change your mind.

Your grammar makes me question your argument anyway.

Regardless, Nintendo turning into a game streaming service would just not work, unless you had, say, a box or hard drive with the games' data on it and you had to just stream it to your smart devices, which would probably reduce lagging, right?

heh,  Im assuming that you dont have many arguments left to show for yourself(since I dont care that much to double check if I wrote everything 100% correctly, because for me time is precious), since you had to attack my typing.Ill take that as a win.

And Ill just leave it here: Many thought that the Switch would fail, since it was something brand new(being a hybrid and all) and look where we are now.To assume that things will stay the same 50 years from now is silly to say the least, as we have seen time and time again.

Ok, now Im really done with this.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

WolfpackN64 said:
drinkandswim said:

As the technology gap shrinks between mobile and console, who wouldnt want the ability to take their games on the go?

i dont mean phone gaming, i mean handheld gaming.

Ah, I see, well of course we see that systems like the Switch are powerful enough to allow for high quality experiances on the go. That's not really due to a shrinking technology gap, more due to diminishing returns on graphic power vs graphic quality.

You see, portable technology like smartphone chips quickly rose in power compared to old cellphones, but the latter basically used embedded chips with a much smaller power envelope, wheras companies like Qualcomm keep pushing the envelope in power, but also in power consumption (as demonstrated with the Snapdragon 8cx).

I wouldn't be surprised if a Switch folowup would use Qualcomm's tech in the future since it has become so powerful. But it has also become so powerful because they scaled the tech up.

And with transitor shrinks becoming ever more difficult and probably flatlining at 3nm. We have a few more rounds of increasing hardware efficiëncy to go from the low end to the high end products before all perf/watt improvements will come from architecture.

They are not going to use Qualcomm. Nintendo signed a LONG term deal with Nvidia.

besides its better anyways because tegra gpu is leagues ahead of the snapdragon chips. Only RECENT Apple SOCs are better than tegra.

When the X1 came out in 2015, it had the most powerful mobile gpu on the market beating pretty much every soc on the market including apples. 

BlackBeauty said:

WolfpackN64 said:

Ah, I see, well of course we see that systems like the Switch are powerful enough to allow for high quality experiances on the go. That's not really due to a shrinking technology gap, more due to diminishing returns on graphic power vs graphic quality.

You see, portable technology like smartphone chips quickly rose in power compared to old cellphones, but the latter basically used embedded chips with a much smaller power envelope, wheras companies like Qualcomm keep pushing the envelope in power, but also in power consumption (as demonstrated with the Snapdragon 8cx).

I wouldn't be surprised if a Switch folowup would use Qualcomm's tech in the future since it has become so powerful. But it has also become so powerful because they scaled the tech up.

And with transitor shrinks becoming ever more difficult and probably flatlining at 3nm. We have a few more rounds of increasing hardware efficiëncy to go from the low end to the high end products before all perf/watt improvements will come from architecture.

They are not going to use Qualcomm. Nintendo signed a LONG term deal with Nvidia.

besides its better anyways because tegra gpu is leagues ahead of the snapdragon chips. Only RECENT Apple SOCs are better than tegra.

When the X1 came out in 2015, it had the most powerful mobile gpu on the market beating pretty much every soc on the market including apples. 

Yeah I think they are going with the Tegra X2 it has the same footprint. Hell they could even offer a service to just replace the board in existing Switches. It has an option of 1.5x performance or 2 times more energy efficient. So they could us it in both a Lite and Pro version. Handheld only use it just for Battery life and for the Pro use it for 50% more performance.

Shadow1980 said:
I find it puzzling that so many people treat it as axiomatic that dedicated consoles are doomed. Well, technically nothing is permanent and everything is doomed in the long run, some things earlier than others, so I guess anyone can proclaim something to be doomed and then, after years or decades or whatever, they or someone else could say "Haha! I/They were right!"

But are consoles going away in our lifetimes? I doubt it. Consoles have persisted for over 40 years (aside from the market implosion in 1983-85), and I don't see any reason why the Big Three would just up and stop making them. Console sales are still very strong and the market shows no signs of stopping. Streaming is probably decades away from getting to the point where it'd be feasible enough to be the standard, as average internet speeds, bandwidth caps, and reliability are still laughable in most places. And I somehow doubt that the Big Three would just up and decide to become the first segment of the entertainment industry to outright force people to move to a full-digital subscription-based service model, basically saying "This is the only way games will be distributed from now on. Take it or leave it." The demand for physical copies is simply too high, and there's no reason to assume that digital will continue to erode physical's market share indefinitely like it did with music (e-book sales notably ceased growing as a share of book sales years ago). I would also think many gamers would be wary of a streaming service given how Netflix frequently rotates content in and out of availability. Imagine a game you like simply vanishing for months at a time, maybe permanently because of some rights issue (something that has already happened with digital downloads, except when you have a download at least it stays on your hard drive).

So, no, I don't see streaming becoming the norm within the next 30 years, and I sure as hell don't believe that the industry will force it on everyone.

I dont think consoles are doomed in our lifetime, but i am interested to see what the next gen brings.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Well, it can be interprated as someone trying to push the idea of digital only devices being the only thing viable going foward just for their own selfish thought and inputing some kind of conditionning into people's mind that it is the way to move forward but I just don't agree with the whole idea at all.

Anywoo, you're already demonstrated the limits digital media can go through and it's been seen in recent years that digital adoption in video games has slow down dramatically and that's even without mentionning the digital ratio with Nintendo games that are usually around the 10%-15% at most.

Some people just want their vision to be realized as soon as it can, that's pretty much it.

And your post can be interpreted as someone trying to push the idea of physical games being the only thing viable going foward just for your own selfish thought and inputing some kind of conditioning into people's mind that the way to move forward is stagnation or going back to the roots.

Can we please stop this black and white thinking? Physical, digital, subscriptions and streaming all have their advantages and disadvantages and will be offered parallel for a long time. Some of them will gain popularity/importance over time, others will lose popularity/importance.

Mar1217 said:

Anywoo, you're already demonstrated the limits digital media can go through and it's been seen in recent years that digital adoption in video games has slow down dramatically and that's even without mentionning the digital ratio with Nintendo games that are usually around the 10%-15% at most.

Main revenue already is digital if we look at the bigger picture:

100% of the mobile video game revenue is digital, almost 100% of the PC video game revenue is digital, DLCs and microtransactions are almost 100% digital and the digital share on consoles is also still growing:

Well, the HH market was shrinking, and they knew they couldn't compete head-on with the others with a straight up powerful home console, so they went hybrid.

It has worked out really well this gen. The only problem is, will this continue to work in the gens to come? It won't be quite as unique next gen, so the novelty won't be there. We'll have to see if this model continues to go well for them.

BlackBeauty said:

WolfpackN64 said:

Problem is Nvidia doesn't make mobile chips anymore. That and the latest Adreno GPU's in Snapdragons are graphically on par with the TX1. If you consider Qualcomm doubled the size of their GPU For the Snapdragon 8cx, that will put it up and wbove the TX2.

Raven said:
People reading too much into it. Of course there's a possibility, while Nintendo has been very committed to dedicated video game consoles, ultimately their survival depends on making sure they shift with the times. If for some reason dedicated video game consoles start to fall out of fashion, they'll have to figure out a way to move on from them just like Microsoft or Sony would in that situation.

BOOM!  This

Well, it could happen one day. Gaming may not last forever and people could end up losing interest, so Nintendo would have to move on to something else, which I think they'll be fine with. They've done other things before gaming. This won't happen for a long time though.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread