By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

Makes sense since all 3 console makers will inevitably move to some type of streaming service for all type devices including phones.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network

The thing is, they will be alright with the quality of their franchise. If there is one day a system with every game for streaming (or maybe multiple one idk), i think Nintendo will be obviously the one that has the better chance of surviving opposite to Sony and Ms which their best selling titles are third party.

It's inevitable for the big 3 to all stop producing hardware at some point.

CaptainExplosion said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
It's inevitable for the big 3 to all stop producing hardware at some point.

Maybe, but the thought of it really bothers me. It's like a big part of my life getting swept under the rug, all because of the influx of smart devices.

Same here, it's legit scary to think about. 

Yeah, I would flat out quit buying Nintendo games if they stopped making consoles and moved to mobile. Phones are horrible game devices. Awful battery life, awful controls, bloated OS, ridiculously expensive, easily cracked screens, and most of the games made to be grindy on purpose in order to get you to spend money on MTX. Even Nintendo's mobile games like Poke'mon Go are like that.

Around the Network

Or Nintendo could innovate beyond people's expectations similar to Apple and create a lifestyle changing use for interactive software putting them into the forefront of technology. I think Nintendo has enough experience and creativity to pull that off, but if they let all this negativity and doomspeak get to them then I guess the magic of my childhood will die with their consoles. So much else has changed needlessly, I suppose anything is possible.

Nintendo should just keep the Switch going until they can't anymore..

Just treat it like a smartphone, and keep evolving it every couple of years..

People reading too much into it. Of course there's a possibility, while Nintendo has been very committed to dedicated video game consoles, ultimately their survival depends on making sure they shift with the times. If for some reason dedicated video game consoles start to fall out of fashion, they'll have to figure out a way to move on from them just like Microsoft or Sony would in that situation.

zygote said:

Or Nintendo could innovate beyond people's expectations similar to Apple and create a lifestyle changing use for interactive software putting them into the forefront of technology. I think Nintendo has enough experience and creativity to pull that off, but if they let all this negativity and doomspeak get to them then I guess the magic of my childhood will die with their consoles. So much else has changed needlessly, I suppose anything is possible.

It's pretty much what they did with the Switch, despite the fact that the technology (Tegra X1 ) isn't forefront. But making the "console vs handheld" thing pointless is a pretty huge step forward.

I mean, last night I had a great time playing Super Mario Party with my friends, and I'm still amazed how that tiny little tablet could have evolved into so much more, and isn't clunky at all.

And people'd be like "yeah but xbox one/ps4 is more powerful" but is power still revelant today ? I don't think so. Traditionnal consoles sit between the Switch and the PC, which bith offer flexibility and and adaptation. 

I think traditionnal consoles are no longer relevant.

CaptainExplosion said:
3sexty said:
Makes sense since all 3 console makers will inevitably move to some type of streaming service for all type devices including phones.

But they'll have to share their revenue with the manufacturers of those devices, which they never had to with their own consoles.

Why?

Does Sony have to share its PSNow revenue with PC manufacturers?

Does Netflix have to share its revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices? 

Does Amazon have to share its Prime video revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices?

Does Blade have to share its "Shadow" streaming revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices?

If Nintendo offers its own streaming service, it only has to get its streaming app on these devices. The end devices are just for input (controller, touchscreen...) and output (TV, mobile display, VR headset...).