Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

Yeah, I would flat out quit buying Nintendo games if they stopped making consoles and moved to mobile. Phones are horrible game devices. Awful battery life, awful controls, bloated OS, ridiculously expensive, easily cracked screens, and most of the games made to be grindy on purpose in order to get you to spend money on MTX. Even Nintendo's mobile games like Poke'mon Go are like that.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Around the Network

Or Nintendo could innovate beyond people's expectations similar to Apple and create a lifestyle changing use for interactive software putting them into the forefront of technology. I think Nintendo has enough experience and creativity to pull that off, but if they let all this negativity and doomspeak get to them then I guess the magic of my childhood will die with their consoles. So much else has changed needlessly, I suppose anything is possible.



Nintendo should just keep the Switch going until they can't anymore..

Just treat it like a smartphone, and keep evolving it every couple of years..



Cerebralbore101 said:
Yeah, I would flat out quit buying Nintendo games if they stopped making consoles and moved to mobile. Phones are horrible game devices. Awful battery life, awful controls, bloated OS, ridiculously expensive, easily cracked screens, and most of the games made to be grindy on purpose in order to get you to spend money on MTX. Even Nintendo's mobile games like Poke'mon Go are like that.

^THIS!!

zygote said:

Or Nintendo could innovate beyond people's expectations similar to Apple and create a lifestyle changing use for interactive software putting them into the forefront of technology. I think Nintendo has enough experience and creativity to pull that off, but if they let all this negativity and doomspeak get to them then I guess the magic of my childhood will die with their consoles. So much else has changed needlessly, I suppose anything is possible.

^ALSO THIS!!

Azelover said:
Nintendo should just keep the Switch going until they can't anymore..

Just treat it like a smartphone, and keep evolving it every couple of years..

You mean you want Nintendo to turn into Apple? Eww!!



People reading too much into it. Of course there's a possibility, while Nintendo has been very committed to dedicated video game consoles, ultimately their survival depends on making sure they shift with the times. If for some reason dedicated video game consoles start to fall out of fashion, they'll have to figure out a way to move on from them just like Microsoft or Sony would in that situation.



Around the Network
Raven said:
People reading too much into it. Of course there's a possibility, while Nintendo has been very committed to dedicated video game consoles, ultimately their survival depends on making sure they shift with the times. If for some reason dedicated video game consoles start to fall out of fashion, they'll have to figure out a way to move on from them just like Microsoft or Sony would in that situation.

We don't want dedicated consoles to fall out of fashion though, especially with how horrible most games for smart devices are. For every Super Mario Run there's at least a thousand Candy Crush Sagas.



zygote said:

Or Nintendo could innovate beyond people's expectations similar to Apple and create a lifestyle changing use for interactive software putting them into the forefront of technology. I think Nintendo has enough experience and creativity to pull that off, but if they let all this negativity and doomspeak get to them then I guess the magic of my childhood will die with their consoles. So much else has changed needlessly, I suppose anything is possible.

It's pretty much what they did with the Switch, despite the fact that the technology (Tegra X1 ) isn't forefront. But making the "console vs handheld" thing pointless is a pretty huge step forward.

 

I mean, last night I had a great time playing Super Mario Party with my friends, and I'm still amazed how that tiny little tablet could have evolved into so much more, and isn't clunky at all.

 

And people'd be like "yeah but xbox one/ps4 is more powerful" but is power still revelant today ? I don't think so. Traditionnal consoles sit between the Switch and the PC, which bith offer flexibility and and adaptation. 

 

I think traditionnal consoles are no longer relevant.



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
zygote said:

Or Nintendo could innovate beyond people's expectations similar to Apple and create a lifestyle changing use for interactive software putting them into the forefront of technology. I think Nintendo has enough experience and creativity to pull that off, but if they let all this negativity and doomspeak get to them then I guess the magic of my childhood will die with their consoles. So much else has changed needlessly, I suppose anything is possible.

It's pretty much what they did with the Switch, despite the fact that the technology (Tegra X1 ) isn't forefront. But making the "console vs handheld" thing pointless is a pretty huge step forward.

 

I mean, last night I had a great time playing Super Mario Party with my friends, and I'm still amazed how that tiny little tablet could have evolved into so much more, and isn't clunky at all.

 

And people'd be like "yeah but xbox one/ps4 is more powerful" but is power still revelant today ? I don't think so. Traditionnal consoles sit between the Switch and the PC, which bith offer flexibility and and adaptation. 

 

I think traditionnal consoles are no longer relevant.

But he was talking about moving away from consoles period, not just traditional consoles.



CaptainExplosion said:
3sexty said:
Makes sense since all 3 console makers will inevitably move to some type of streaming service for all type devices including phones.

But they'll have to share their revenue with the manufacturers of those devices, which they never had to with their own consoles.

Why?

Does Sony have to share its PSNow revenue with PC manufacturers?

Does Netflix have to share its revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices? 

Does Amazon have to share its Prime video revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices?

Does Blade have to share its "Shadow" streaming revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices?

If Nintendo offers its own streaming service, it only has to get its streaming app on these devices. The end devices are just for input (controller, touchscreen...) and output (TV, mobile display, VR headset...).



Any forward thinking company should be thinking the same. There will be a time where Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo no longer produce console hardware. It will be an outdated way of thinking and a waste of money. Streaming will be the norm, or who knows maybe Nintendo eventually makes an HDMI device that plugs into your TV and streams to that device, or maybe HDMI isn't even the standard for that time in the future. One thing is for sure, traditional consoles will eventually cease to exist the way we know them today. You have to move forward as a tech company or you'll get left behind.