By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

Any forward thinking company should be thinking the same. There will be a time where Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo no longer produce console hardware. It will be an outdated way of thinking and a waste of money. Streaming will be the norm, or who knows maybe Nintendo eventually makes an HDMI device that plugs into your TV and streams to that device, or maybe HDMI isn't even the standard for that time in the future. One thing is for sure, traditional consoles will eventually cease to exist the way we know them today. You have to move forward as a tech company or you'll get left behind.

Around the Network

This more like leaving the window open for any possibility 20 years down the line with the sought potential of game streaming to any device/specific hardware devices.

Also the quote is "Home Console Development". Which they've already been moving away from since the Switch. I'd be shocked in fact if we ever got a completely dedicated Home Console with it's own library from Nintendo again. 

Green098 said:

This more like leaving the window open for any possibility 20 years down the line with the sought potential of game streaming to any device/specific hardware devices.

Also the quote is "Home Console Development". Which they've already been moving away from since the Switch. I'd be shocked in fact if we ever got a completely dedicated Home Console with it's own library from Nintendo again. 

Good catch! 

CaptainExplosion said:
Conina said:

Why?

Does Sony have to share its PSNow revenue with PC manufacturers?

Does Netflix have to share its revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices? 

Does Amazon have to share its Prime video revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices?

Does Blade have to share its "Shadow" streaming revenue with the manufacturers of all compatible devices?

Didn't Apple and Google take their shares of revenue from Pokemon Go?

Yeah, because that game is in the iOS appstore and the Google Play appstore and ain't streamed. The game is in the digital stores of Apple and Google (advertisement, visibility) and uses Apple's and Google's services (download traffic, updates, handling of all payments...).

With streaming Sony games are staying in the PSN, Micosoft games stay in the Xbox network/marketplace and Nintendo games stay in Nintendo's network/eShop).

The devices are ONLY for input of the controller data and output of the streaming data. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo don't have to pay TV manufacturers for outputting console games on the TV-screen, do they?

Last edited by Conina - on 05 January 2019

The things a lot of people are going to fixate on from this clickbait article (without context) are the phrases "more mobile games" and "could shift away from home consoles". They're going to read those two statements and conclude that Nintendo is going to abandon hardware entirely and become a mobile-only developer in the near future even though Furukawa is basically stating things we already knew.

Is Nintendo going to shift away from home consoles? Yeah, they basically already have with the Switch. Would Nintendo like to make more mobile games? Yeah, they already stated that they wanted to release 2-3 mobile games a year, which would be an increase from their current pace.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
xMetroid said:
The thing is, they will be alright with the quality of their franchise. If there is one day a system with every game for streaming (or maybe multiple one idk), i think Nintendo will be obviously the one that has the better chance of surviving opposite to Sony and Ms which their best selling titles are third party.

But then it would mean Nintendo is third party by then too. You really want to see the end of first-party development?

I mean what do you benefit from having multiple consoles instead of 1 ? Other than console war u see really no point. There will still be competition has they will really need to stand out to be picked.

I also think Nintendo game sales would go up since some people just hate Nintendo consoles but want to play Zelda.

I see a lot of people betting on game streaming but I'm pretty certain that's not the way we're going to go.
1. Console sales are still on the up. The market is clearly not saturated for traditional gaming consoles.
2. Game streaming services already exist and 3. These services continue to be in a niche position. Save for a few enthousiasts, they haven't caught on in years.
3. Games are like books, content that is just not suitable for streaming. Music and movies lend themselves well to the mentality to having a vast collection of media to consume on a whim and in a moment. Books and games are something you put significantly more time investment in and thus are better to have in a personal library. Books, like games, have streaming services and just like games, these aren't mainstream despite having existed for years.

So no, game streaming is not going to be a major thing. But what do I know, I listen to music on vinyl, I might just be resistant to change.

Nintendo, develop for PC. Please.

With respect to the smartphone stuff, I called this approach years ago though, smartphone apps would not just be "advertisements" for Nintendo IP, Nintendo would want real profit streams and would not be able to ignore that.

All companies have to start thinking about what they will do in the post-hardware world. That means Sony and MS too. MS is already planning to offer a streaming game service next gen, and while that won't be perfect and work for everything, it probably will work well enough for tens of millions of people, and once that ball gets rolling ... it likely won't ever slow down.