By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

Kerotan said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Maybe, but the thought of it really bothers me. It's like a big part of my life getting swept under the rug, all because of the influx of smart devices.

I always said Nintendo should have been the ones inventing the iPhone back in the day. It was the natural evolution.

No it wasn't. The iphone was the evolution of the ipod and ipod was the natural evolution of Walkman.

Why Sony did not invent the iPod

They could be selling a smart device where they make first party and get profits from apps and games sold on it.

They're doing that now.

They would be the richest company in the world now if they did. 

Unlikely.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
melbye said:
If there is no translation-errors here this guy is starting to worry me when he says stuff like this

It's not a translation error, it's that NintendoLife pieced together their own story by picking out specific sentences of a larger interview.

What Furukawa said isn't any different than what Satoru Iwata said before he passed away. The key points are:

1. Nintendo wasn't always a video game company, so it would be tunnel vision if Nintendo's leadership operated under the premise that Nintendo has to stay exactly how they are. Hence the decision to partner up with Universal for a theme park, for example. Hence leaving the possibility open that Nintendo's core business won't be consoles in a very distant future (more than 20 years from now). Even that doesn't mean that there's a plan to stop with consoles, but merely that another area of Nintendo's business, whatever that might be, could be bigger than consoles.

2. Video games are a part of the entertainment industry, and entertainment has its ups and downs. This specific Nikkei interview with Furukawa was focused on questions about what Nintendo intends to do to increase stability of their performance at the stock market, so naturally Furukawa answers with revenue streams outside of Nintendo's console business. Nintendo's goal remains the same as it was under Iwata, namely that the smartphone business is supposed to generate at least 100 billion yen in revenue per year. That's where Furukawa's statement to release more smartphone games comes in, because that part of Nintendo's business is currently still under 50 billion yen. "More smartphone games" doesn't imply a shift of focus away from console development, but merely that there's the intention to consistently have 1-2 (or 2-3?) smartphone games release per fiscal year.

EDIT: Just noticed that I didn't post the link to the original source of the translation yesterday.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-president-on-risk-innovation-and-reducing-instability/

NintendoEverything's headline is already very different from NintendoLife's.

EDIT2: Late edit, because I was in a rush earlier today and didn't have the time to correct myself for what I said in point 2 above. There was no mention of 2-3 smartphone games per fiscal year, because the actual quote is about "increasing the amount of smartphone games that have a continuous stream of revenue," so the amount of releases remains at 1-2 per fiscal year as stated in various briefings for investors, but instead is intended to have better monetisation. A clear implication that the payment model of Super Mario Run won't be seen again.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 06 January 2019

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Jigsawx1 said:
Soundwave said:

Looks to me like they're competing just fine on that front, Switch is matching/exceeding in some cases sales of Playstation 4 at the same point in its lifecycle and outselling the XBox One at equivalent points. 

Why not Master Chief and Drake on Switch? 

If streaming services ever take off, it's gonna be curtains for Playstation and XBox physical hardware too, not just Nintendo. 

Because the nintendo hardware is too weak

Which is a non-issue when we talk about streaming... the client device doesn't have to be powerful.

So why not PSNow (with PS3 + PS4 games) and Project Xcloud (Xbox games) and Shadow (PC games) streamed on Switch?

Pyro as Bill said:
Kerotan said:

I always said Nintendo should have been the ones inventing the iPhone back in the day. It was the natural evolution.

No it wasn't. The iphone was the evolution of the ipod and ipod was the natural evolution of Walkman.

Why Sony did not invent the iPod

They could be selling a smart device where they make first party and get profits from apps and games sold on it.

They're doing that now.

They would be the richest company in the world now if they did. 

Unlikely.

I have always said sony fucked up not inventing the iPhone. That would have been visionary by them instead of going the PSP/Vita route. And if Sony did it they would be the richest in the world. Doesn't change my point that Nintendo also fucked up by not doing it. It would have been way more lucrative then the portable path they went and they could have done both with their games on both. 

nintendolife sucks! And it is not the first time they write something wrong on purpose just looking for views. 

What Furukawa said was Nintendo would make income by other ways off consoles in case of video games industry went down. In other words, their business has a good diversification strategy supported by their intelectual projects value. 

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I have always said sony fucked up not inventing the iPhone. That would have been visionary by them instead of going the PSP/Vita route. And if Sony did it they would be the richest in the world. Doesn't change my point that Nintendo also fucked up by not doing it. It would have been way more lucrative then the portable path they went and they could have done both with their games on both. 

You could say that about any tech company though, hindsight is 20/20

manuelogando40 said:

nintendolife sucks! And it is not the first time they write something wrong on purpose just looking for views. 

What Furukawa said was Nintendo would make income by other ways off consoles in case of video games industry went down. In other words, their business has a good diversification strategy supported by their intelectual projects value. 

For freaking sake, even EUROGAMER is going at it !!

And it doesn't even read like a sattire ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:

Lets not exagerate, shall we?

Well it's hard not to when things look bleak for something I care about.

Bleak?Where?Just because of one statement which was seemingly taken out of context?

And after the Switch?Talk about drama...

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well it's hard not to when things look bleak for something I care about.

Bleak?Where?Just because of one statement which was seemingly taken out of context?

Because it mirrors Sega when it made those stupid add-ons for the Sega Genesis despite it's success, and Konami when they booted Kojima to make Metal Gear Survive and pachinko machines.

CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:

Because it mirrors Sega when it made those stupid add-ons for the Sega Genesis despite it's success, and Konami when they booted Kojima to make Metal Gear Survive and pachinko machines.

They are not even remotely related, the conditions for such scenarios are completrely polar oposite.....

But Ill leave it here, because it seems that you wont change your mind.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1