By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

Asriel said:
Yeah, this was taken out of context. Basically he suggested at some undefined point in the future Nintendo may consider finding a way to provide the "Nintendo experience" without developing a home console, which, given Switch's hybrid nature, is already a path they're on. Secondly, he was talking about developing more mobile games in the near term - not migrating Nintendo's business entirely onto mobile by dropping consoles. Nintendo's mobile business is still only a small part of their revenue, after all.

I mean if you consider Switch mobile, all of their revenue is now from mobile.

Around the Network

Now watch their stocks drop after he says this

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

What is interesting is this comment"

""I’d like to increase the (amount of) games on smartphones that have a continuous stream of revenue."

Imagine a Mario Kart Game were you need 10000 coins to unlock a track or for $20 you can buy 10000 coins to unlock it lol.

3sexty said:
Makes sense since all 3 console makers will inevitably move to some type of streaming service for all type devices including phones.

It will be a long time before the internet in all places are ready for that.  We will see digital download only consoles or the 3 console makers turning to their own digital store service like Steam before streaming is ever the only choice.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

If there is no translation-errors here this guy is starting to worry me when he says stuff like this

Nothing to see here, move along

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But then it would mean Nintendo is third party by then too. You really want to see the end of first-party development?

I mean what do you benefit from having multiple consoles instead of 1 ? Other than console war u see really no point. There will still be competition has they will really need to stand out to be picked.

I also think Nintendo game sales would go up since some people just hate Nintendo consoles but want to play Zelda.

For fuck's sake, that's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you hate television sets.

WolfpackN64 said:
I see a lot of people betting on game streaming but I'm pretty certain that's not the way we're going to go.
1. Console sales are still on the up. The market is clearly not saturated for traditional gaming consoles.
2. Game streaming services already exist and 3. These services continue to be in a niche position. Save for a few enthousiasts, they haven't caught on in years.
3. Games are like books, content that is just not suitable for streaming. Music and movies lend themselves well to the mentality to having a vast collection of media to consume on a whim and in a moment. Books and games are something you put significantly more time investment in and thus are better to have in a personal library. Books, like games, have streaming services and just like games, these aren't mainstream despite having existed for years.

So no, game streaming is not going to be a major thing. But what do I know, I listen to music on vinyl, I might just be resistant to change.

KLAMarine said:
Nintendo, develop for PC. Please.

Hell no.

Nautilus said:
Ok, this worries me a bit, especially the last part where he mentions about wanting to increase the number of mobile offerrings.

I do understand where he is comming from: We cant know what happens 30, 50 years from now.I GUESS thats where he is comming from.In 50 years maybe the notion of consoles wont exist anymore, even if, whatever it turns out to be, will still be considered as "tradicional gaming", however close to our tradicional that gets.Why?Because things changes, simply as that.

But I dont know, I dont like how he phrased that.He could have said it better if what he means is what i just said.Lets hope he dosent mean what it seems to be.Either way, we shouldnt worry about if for a good while anyway.

With the increased mobile offerings, and Nintendo Switch Online's overall shittiness, it's like this Furukawa is dragging Nintendo down.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Now watch their stocks drop after he says this

Maybe then he'll get a clue.

CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:
Ok, this worries me a bit, especially the last part where he mentions about wanting to increase the number of mobile offerrings.

I do understand where he is comming from: We cant know what happens 30, 50 years from now.I GUESS thats where he is comming from.In 50 years maybe the notion of consoles wont exist anymore, even if, whatever it turns out to be, will still be considered as "tradicional gaming", however close to our tradicional that gets.Why?Because things changes, simply as that.

But I dont know, I dont like how he phrased that.He could have said it better if what he means is what i just said.Lets hope he dosent mean what it seems to be.Either way, we shouldnt worry about if for a good while anyway.

With the increased mobile offerings, and Nintendo Switch Online's overall shittiness, it's like this Furukawa is dragging Nintendo down.

Lets not exagerate, shall we?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

melbye said:
If there is no translation-errors here this guy is starting to worry me when he says stuff like this

I think people are reading too much into this.  He seems to be talking about how the industry is constantly changing and how Nintendo will have to adapt to those changes.  All in all, he is speaking of when making consoles is basically obsolete in the future market, which lets face it, is going to happen eventually.

Maybe they will have their own PC service like steam that their games will be exclusive to, maybe they will go 3rd party if the need ever came to be, or maybe it will be one of those options alongside mobile games?

He mentions mobile as an example and nothing more I think.  I believe we are safe from Nintendo ever going full on mobile TBH, but they will for sure continue to grow in that area as well overtime.  The success of Fire Emblem Heros and Animal Crossing on mobile has seen to that.

He also mentions things like theme parks and movies.  If I were a betting man, I would say Nintendo is trying to evolve into something more like Disney.  They will always have their gaming divisions in one form or another, but they will use the legacy and popularity of their IPs to propel the Nintendo further in other avenues as well.

CaptainExplosion said:
xMetroid said:

I mean what do you benefit from having multiple consoles instead of 1 ? Other than console war u see really no point. There will still be competition has they will really need to stand out to be picked.

For fuck's sake, that's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you hate television sets.

No, it's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you don't want to buy 3 - 4 television sets (one for Netflix, one for Hulu, one for Amazon Prime Video, one for Sky...).

A flexible streaming box (or mobile device) could offer support for the "Nintendo channel" and the "PlayStation channel" and the "Xbox channel" and the "Steam channel", which can be installed/subscribed separately on the same device.

Conina said:
CaptainExplosion said:

No, it's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you don't want to buy 3 - 4 television sets (one for Netflix, one for Hulu, one for Amazon Prime Video, one for Sky...).

A flexible streaming box (or mobile device) could offer support for the "Nintendo channel" and the "PlayStation channel" and the "Xbox channel" and the "Steam channel", which can be installed/subscribed separately on the same device.

Its called a PC...