By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa Says Nintendo Could One Day Shift Away From Console Development

CaptainExplosion said:
Nautilus said:
Ok, this worries me a bit, especially the last part where he mentions about wanting to increase the number of mobile offerrings.

I do understand where he is comming from: We cant know what happens 30, 50 years from now.I GUESS thats where he is comming from.In 50 years maybe the notion of consoles wont exist anymore, even if, whatever it turns out to be, will still be considered as "tradicional gaming", however close to our tradicional that gets.Why?Because things changes, simply as that.

But I dont know, I dont like how he phrased that.He could have said it better if what he means is what i just said.Lets hope he dosent mean what it seems to be.Either way, we shouldnt worry about if for a good while anyway.

With the increased mobile offerings, and Nintendo Switch Online's overall shittiness, it's like this Furukawa is dragging Nintendo down.

Lets not exagerate, shall we?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
melbye said:
If there is no translation-errors here this guy is starting to worry me when he says stuff like this

I think people are reading too much into this.  He seems to be talking about how the industry is constantly changing and how Nintendo will have to adapt to those changes.  All in all, he is speaking of when making consoles is basically obsolete in the future market, which lets face it, is going to happen eventually.

Maybe they will have their own PC service like steam that their games will be exclusive to, maybe they will go 3rd party if the need ever came to be, or maybe it will be one of those options alongside mobile games?

He mentions mobile as an example and nothing more I think.  I believe we are safe from Nintendo ever going full on mobile TBH, but they will for sure continue to grow in that area as well overtime.  The success of Fire Emblem Heros and Animal Crossing on mobile has seen to that.

He also mentions things like theme parks and movies.  If I were a betting man, I would say Nintendo is trying to evolve into something more like Disney.  They will always have their gaming divisions in one form or another, but they will use the legacy and popularity of their IPs to propel the Nintendo further in other avenues as well.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

CaptainExplosion said:
xMetroid said:

I mean what do you benefit from having multiple consoles instead of 1 ? Other than console war u see really no point. There will still be competition has they will really need to stand out to be picked.

For fuck's sake, that's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you hate television sets.

No, it's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you don't want to buy 3 - 4 television sets (one for Netflix, one for Hulu, one for Amazon Prime Video, one for Sky...).

A flexible streaming box (or mobile device) could offer support for the "Nintendo channel" and the "PlayStation channel" and the "Xbox channel" and the "Steam channel", which can be installed/subscribed separately on the same device.

Conina said:
CaptainExplosion said:

For fuck's sake, that's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you hate television sets.

No, it's like saying you want to watch TV shows but you don't want to buy 3 - 4 television sets (one for Netflix, one for Hulu, one for Amazon Prime Video, one for Sky...).

A flexible streaming box (or mobile device) could offer support for the "Nintendo channel" and the "PlayStation channel" and the "Xbox channel" and the "Steam channel", which can be installed/subscribed separately on the same device.

Its called a PC...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Nintendo going third party. It's over! Out of context hype title has me all up in arms! 

To be serious, one day maybe when the earth and the moon become one, Nintendo will stop making hardware. Either way, i'll be too old or dead to care at that point.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Now watch their stocks drop after he says this

I think you mean rise. I don't think you know what kind of investors and stockholders Nintendo has.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo should have bought into of Blackberry (or was the company callled RIM) when they still had there own OS instead of Dena and made there own gaming centered phone.

this company has existed since 1889 I think back then games consoles were not on their RADAR and in 130 years time there is a chance that they'll be too busy with their sex robot industry to make a new handheld console, that's just how time works.

Feel the need to point out... RADAR wasn't on their RADAR back then either as it wouldn't be invented for another 46 years...

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

OTBWY said:

Nintendo going third party. It's over! Out of context hype title has me all up in arms! 

To be serious, one day maybe when the earth and the moon become one, Nintendo will stop making hardware. Either way, i'll be too old or dead to care at that point.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Now watch their stocks drop after he says this

I think you mean rise. I don't think you know what kind of investors and stockholders Nintendo has.

I predict down. We'll see monday though.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Since the iPhone is declining in sales, it’s time for Nintendo to step in.

It's become clearer to everyone that this is inevitable. I'm sure a time will come where Nintendo, Xbox, and Playstation will be apps with the only hardware being controllers.