By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greedy Activi$ion strikes again: Acti starts charging for RETICLES in CoD BO4

Yes, complain about micro transactions of a single dollar when there are lootboxes that inflate and obscure prices to literal hundreds and thousands of dollars for simple skins. People freaking out over this just shows how amazing lootboxes and gambling are at obscuring prices and value. I fail to see how this is any more egregious than weapon skins in CSGO, toppers in Rocket League or voice lines in Overwatch, except that this dot costs way less and is an honest and direct purchase.

At the point we are at, direct micro transactions are the most honest and progressive monetization we have. But yeah, please continue to rile yourself up against small inconsequential things while the people who raise child gamblers are getting away with it.

Last edited by vivster - on 03 January 2019

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Op, you are correct about Activision being run by a bunch of money hungry bastards. However, its for completely different reasons than you bring up. Like shipping a broken game in THPS5, closing down Bizarre Creations after just a single game under them, lying about Destiny 2 xp rates, locking off Modern Warfare remaster behind a Infinite Warfare special edition, the list goes on. The reticle thing means absolutely nothing in front of all this as its merely a cosmetic microtransaction. Dont use a soggy match when you have a flamethrower sitting next to you OP.

Mar1217 said:
It's like people forgot that microtransactions on cosmetics are there to play on the pshycological numbness of the individuals that buys it. That and people going numb over this issue. Y'all given them a sign that they can push forward with their bullshit as long as it doesn't affect your vision of what's allowed.

It shouldn't be there in the first place, but people still wants to give them the pass ...

A fool and his money is easily parted. Its the person's fault for not having adequate self control.

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 03 January 2019

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Mar1217 said:
It's like people forgot that microtransactions on cosmetics are there to play on the pshycological numbness of the individuals that buys it. That and people going numb over this issue. Y'all given them a sign that they can push forward with their bullshit as long as it doesn't affect your vision of what's allowed.

It shouldn't be there in the first place, but people still wants to give them the pass ...

I'm not going to care much about the microtransaction cat gnawing on my feet when there is a full grown lootbox tiger mauling my face. That's why I give this one a pass and concentrate on the bigger problems.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CaptainExplosion said:
jason1637 said:
What's the issue?

The issue is selling reticles, as in something that's free in every shooter besides this one. EVERY! SINGLE! ONE!

you do realize you can use reticules outside of this 1 that is available through microtransactions right?

I have enjoyed BO4, and I like the way they have handled microtransactions. I mean they have not tempted me to buy anything. So to me that is good. I am a sucker for them if I they will aid me in any way. So the fact I have not even felt the need to use the free COD points they gave me tells me they truly are cosmetic. 

There are many many other games I have played that need their microtransaction policies questioned. BO4 is not one. For me the line is clear. If it is an item needed to compete evenly then it is a sure fire hell no. If it has no effect on your effectiveness I don't care what they do, I am sure some idiots buy it, but that is their prerogative. I feel no need to.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Pubg still a better game at lower price.

Around the Network

Where's the problem?
It's purely cosmetic, on top of what is already in the game and not overpriced.
I've never bought any cosemtic stuff ever, but there are many that do.

It's also the only way for companies to make a decent amount of money nowadays as video games are far too cheap. They are still $60 when they should be closer to $75.
So you should rather thank anyone who is buying stuff like this, as this keeps the costs down for all of us.

Last edited by Barozi - on 03 January 2019

Barozi said:

Where's the problem?

It's also the only way for companies to make a decent amount of money nowadays as video games are far too cheap. They are still $60 when they should be closer to $75.
So you should rather thank anyone who is buying stuff like this, as this keeps the costs down for all of us.

But that's false informations from those same companies.

Companies make less games => Spend less money on games => And make a ton more profit.  EA is just one of the examples but most companies try to do the same. 

2017 was more expensive for EA because of SWBFII 'free' dlc where they lovely used the 'you can earn anything but it needs 100 hours for a costume or buy some lootboxes fiasco'

I don't know who it was but it was EA or activision who were trying to come up with a new idea:   People who buy more DLC/extra's/costumes will be lined up online against weaker players, while people who buy nothing will play against stronger players and hopefully feel the need to buy something.

konnichiwa said:
Barozi said:

Where's the problem?

Companies make less games => Spend less money on games => And make a ton more profit.  EA is just one of the examples but most companies try to do the same. 

2017 was more expensive for EA because of SWBFII 'free' dlc where they lovely used the 'you can earn anything but it needs 100 hours for a costume or buy some lootboxes fiasco'

I don't know who it was but it was EA or activision who were trying to come up with a new idea:   People who buy more DLC/extra's/costumes will be lined up online against weaker players, while people who buy nothing will play against stronger players and hopefully feel the need to buy something.

Well obviously they have to change their business models when they make less and less money for every single game sale.
That includes reusing the same engine for every game or focussing on cheaper mobile games.

Doesn't change the fact that 1m games sold in 2018 is worth far less than 1m in 2008.
If game prices were $75 instead of $60 maybe EA and Activision would release more games again and didn't have to rely on adding microtransactions into every game.

Mar1217 said:
vivster said:

I'm not going to care much about the microtransaction cat gnawing on my feet when there is a full grown lootbox tiger mauling my face. That's why I give this one a pass and concentrate on the bigger problems.

Diminishing and ignoring a problem for the profit of another one is not a solution to solve this crisis.

Tackling the bigger problem first is more effective, though. That's why you don't clean up the bathroom tiles in a murder scene before you removed all the corpses.

Direct micro transactions are the preferable replacement for lootboxes. If you try to get rid of them, what are lootboxes gonna be replaced with? Which is why you first need to eradicate lootboxes, then you can try to push back against micro transactions in general.

Lootboxes are the cancer that grew from micro transactions, let's cut that shit out first before we deal with the rest.

Barozi said:
konnichiwa said:

Well obviously they have to change their business models when they make less and less money for every single game sale.
That includes reusing the same engine for every game or focussing on cheaper mobile games.

Doesn't change the fact that 1m games sold in 2018 is worth far less than 1m in 2008.
If game prices were $75 instead of $60 maybe EA and Activision would release more games again and didn't have to rely on adding microtransactions into every game.

But they don't...

They earn more than 130$ from every fifa game sold while at the same time the dev cost of those games have been decreasing.