Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart which one is your favourite and thoughts on future

Which Mario Kart is your favourite?

Super Mario Kart 3 3.95%

Mario Kart 64 7 9.21%

Mario Kart Super Circuit 0 0.00%

Mario Kart Double Dash!! 13 17.11%

Mario Kart DS 2 2.63%

Mario Kart Wii 5 6.58%

Mario Kart 7 2 2.63%

Mario Kart 8 44 57.89%

Total:76

Which Mario Kart is your favourite? Why is it your favourite?

I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe takes the crown for me. It simply has the most amount of content out of any Mario Kart game, has a good battle mode and runs very well on the Switch. My runner-ups are Mario Kart DS and 64. Mario Kart DS was amazing back in the day. It can't keep up with 8, but it has one thing still going for it: It would let you customise your single-player races more! You could choose how many races you wanted to do and I would often select 32 races and then play through the whole track selection. And Mario Kart 64 just has that weird charm. I don't know what it is but we even downloaded it on Wii U and had a blast. But of course it can't keep up with modern games.

What would you like to see in a future Mario Kart game? 

Whoa, that's hard. MK8 Deluxe just did so many things right. I'd generally like to see more options! Things like turning specific items / coins / etc. on or off and setting more detailed custom rules for multiplayer matches. A track / vehicle editor (if done right) would be great, although not necessary. And give us the Double Dash!! mode as an option - don't force us to play like this but maybe add it as a DLC mode for those who like it.

What improvements do you think are a MUST?

I think the new Mario Kart will have a hard time shining with the amount of content as there's just so much in MK8 Deluxe already. So I guess it will have to improve the graphics and atmosphere. But I'd really like a Small Ultimate approach: Give us ALL the retro tracks, multiple music tracks for each course to bring more variety and new gameplay modes. Also, more maps in battle mode (just bring back most of the old ones and things should be fine).

What do you think Nintendo will do in a future Mario Kart game?

I think it will keep the gameplay foundation they have established over the last few entries and that's a good thing. I doubt we'll see it on Switch, though. Instead it'll be an early title for the next Nintendo console - hopefully with a slew of new and retro content, like Smash Ultimate.

Around the Network

Mario kart 8 is probably my favourite.
I think for the next game they should keep the racing controls and mechanics pretty much the same. They should focus more on letting players customize there racing experience. So like smash give the option to turn off certain items. I think a mission mode like Mario kart ds or story mode like ctr would be good thing to add to improve single player.

Miyamotoo said:
Mario Kart 8 and MK64 are my most favorites.

What I want from future Mario Kart game is to be expand on Mario Kart 8,
so more characters, cups and tracks from other Nintendo franchises, make it essentially Nintendo Kart instead of Mario Kart.
So imagine Zelda Cup, Animal Crossing Cup, F-Zero Cup, Splatoon Cup, Metroid Cup, Star Fox Cup, Pikmin Cup, Yoshi Cup, Donkey Kong Cup, Kyrby Cup, Luigis Cup and of course couple of standard Mario Kart Cups.

Well i was at work earlier so I could not put up what I though.

I will use your post to leverage of it too. Agree about more levels.

I personally think the next game will probably be called Mario Kart Ultimate, in the same vein as SSB Ultimate. That is why I agree with you about more cups. I think they will add them and more players.

Now for me it is a hard decision. I like the way Mario Kart 8 is balanced, mainly because it allows a wider audience to play with.

With Double Dash i loved the pace of the game, probably my favourite in terms of speed and snaking. The issue here was if you were too good you could lap people too easily. Now most will argue that's fine you are just that much better. But i did turn off a lot of people from Mario Kart playing against them on Wii in GCN mode.  So on the one hand I want the speed but at the same time I don't want to turn away people.  Perhaps there is a way to make the speed faster (maybe not as quick as Double Dash but keep the way Mario Kart 8 is? Not sure.

I also want to see a story mode as I mentioned in the CTR thread. That i liked in Diddy Kong and CTR. Perhaps be a bit more fun and casual about it in the same spirit as say cannonball run (or tour de france style). Where you race from one end of the mushroom kingdom to the other. Provide save points after each race so you can come back to it later. A long 20-30 track kind of trace that is essentially one big race. Now between each leg, maybe add the ability to tweak your kart based on weather and road terrain and conditions for the next section.

Double Dash, just slightly ahead of 8 and after a large gap Wii. Haven't played any handheld Kart (SC, DS and 7), so dunno how good they are. SMK was great, but too similar to F-Zero for me, and I find MK64 the worst of the bunch by leaps and bounds with really bland tracks and unimaginative items.

Favorite, 8
Best in proportion to its time imo, Double Dash
Played the most, Wii

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
8 is the best. It just simply is better in every way than the others. Goijf forward, I'd like to see more variation in the performance characteristics of the karts. Like now there are a bunch if karts, but really only a few different sets of stats. So, more variation there would be ny top wish.

On a related note, I'm really dissapointed in 8D. It's the same game from 4 years ago, just rereleased with a tiny bit of new stuff. And, for that, we'll get an extra few years if waiting for the true next entry in the series.

A completly revamped battle mode with new maps ain't what I call "a tiny bit". Yes it does mean we'll wait longer for the next game but I am all happy to continue and play this masterpiece !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
VAMatt said:
8 is the best. It just simply is better in every way than the others. Goijf forward, I'd like to see more variation in the performance characteristics of the karts. Like now there are a bunch if karts, but really only a few different sets of stats. So, more variation there would be ny top wish.

On a related note, I'm really dissapointed in 8D. It's the same game from 4 years ago, just rereleased with a tiny bit of new stuff. And, for that, we'll get an extra few years if waiting for the true next entry in the series.

A completly revamped battle mode with new maps ain't what I call "a tiny bit". Yes it does mean we'll wait longer for the next game but I am all happy to continue and play this masterpiece !

What new maps?  I thought it just had all the DLC.  Am I wrong?

Best to worst
The great Mario Karts:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart

The bad ones:
Mario Kart Double Cube
Mario Kart Super Circuit

Mario Kart Wii is the boundary where the modern feeling series began. I put Mario Kart 8 down because although it is basically Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with fewer tracks, racers, and modes, it lacks a strong multiplayer mode compared to Mario Kart 7 due to the Wii U hardware - it was ultimately the Mario Kart game I played by far the least outside of Cubed Mario Kart and Super Circuit - but I put those two much lower because they were below par for the series, suffering from far bigger issues and flaws. But the big issue with Mario Kart 8 is that no one wanted to play it because anyone who used the Gamepad seemed to have an advantage over the other players - also, Mario Kart 7 allowed for more players. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gives everyone a screen, and many more players than the old 8.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

MK8 Dx is a hard package to beat...but I think from memory I had the most enjoyable time with mk ds for some reason...the Wii version I quite got into as well at the time.

S.Peelman said:
Mario Kart 8 is probably objectively the best one, but I’ll still vote for 64. It’s just one of the most fun times I’ve ever had with a video game. It also really meant something to me. You can say that’s nostalgia, which it very well could be, but it’s a powerful thing.

This sums up my feelings, too. MK8 is technically a better game, at least now that Deluxe is out with a proper Battle mode. Better controls, more content. But MK64 holds a very special place in my heart. It came out less than three weeks before my 17th birthday, and my best friend and I spent much of 1997 playing this game. It was incredibly fun, and has aged surprisingly well, plus I adore the soundtrack. And it had the best Rainbow Road IMO. So, while MK8 may be objectively the better game on paper, MK64 is still my favorite in the series.