By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - psmini, one of the biggest fails of the year

lansingone said:
thismeintiel said:

I really don't understand why they didn't use their own in house emulator. Or if they were going to use the open source one, why not allow updates to improve it at later dates. Even better would have been to enable enhanced rendering, which helps with all the jaggies, something you can do on a $35 Raspberry Pi. This could have been a great product. Sadly, it seems Sony handed this off to their B, or even C, team to handle.

This has been a big question i keep coming back to. It's very under stated just how good their in house emulator is. It was able to push almost perfect compatibility on a PSP. It has been ported to the PS3, and the ARM based PSV, which makes it hard to understand why they couldn't port it to another ARM based chipset. The only reason I can figure is that it has always been baked into their firmwares, and they didn't want to invest too much R&D on a nostalgia device that would have enough security to keep their emulator locked down.

I'm at least a little hopeful that it means they value the in house emulator enough not to let it get leaked, and maybe it'll see a return in PS5.

I suppose that is a possibility.  I do think they are going to focus a lot more on B/C next gen given some of the statements and patents we have seen.  Though, really, there is also no reason the PS4 doesn't at least play PS1 Classics from the store.  Not sure why they have ignored that extra stream of revenue.

Around the Network

Wow Snes mini plays ridge racer better than PS1 mini it was in ReciewtechUSA latest video 2 hours ago :(

I game on all consoles and PC

collint0101 said:
I honestly still kinda want one. The collector in me wants yet another box sitting by my TV

That's the problem that I'm having to fight with. My collector side wants it, but my logical side is winning.

Does anyone know if Japan PS1 mini is selling since they got better games?

I game on all consoles and PC

Yeah, it did seem like the more new info that was presented, the worse the product turned out to be. By the time of its launch, it sounded like a mediocre machine that just functions I suppose, which is a bit of a shame. Kinda seems like Sony half-heartedly put this machine together.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
Wow Snes mini plays ridge racer better than PS1 mini it was in ReciewtechUSA latest video 2 hours ago :(

That video is inaccurate. 

Cloudman said:
Yeah, it did seem like the more new info that was presented, the worse the product turned out to be. By the time of its launch, it sounded like a mediocre machine that just functions I suppose, which is a bit of a shame. Kinda seems like Sony half-heartedly put this machine together.

I mean, it's ultimately what they said it would be

Not that that excuses the machine 

twintail said:
dx11332sega said:

That video is inaccurate. 

Cloudman said:

I mean, it's ultimately what they said it would be

Not that that excuses the machine 

Yeah, I do think they could have done more with the machine. Switch some games around here and there, and use the best working versions of the games, particularly Tekken.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

dx11332sega said:

Amazon JP sold through all of its initial stock. That's about all the info I can glean anywhere. Haven't seen any numbers saying how well or how poorly it is doing in any region.

dx11332sega said:

Nope it is doing poorly there as well. It was not featured in any reports, which usually sign that it was not note worthy. Chris from Era said it was pretty much a dud in Japan as well. 

If we get a pricecut in the U.S. I'll get one, $99 is way too high