By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - psmini, one of the biggest fails of the year

dx11332sega said:
Um? would you guys buy one if it was 35 dollars ? I think Sony thought NES mini game selection was trash then tried that on PS1 mini XD

The only game on there I would want to play is Persona.  I would pay 35 bucks for that.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I really don't understand why they didn't use their own in house emulator. Or if they were going to use the open source one, why not allow updates to improve it at later dates. Even better would have been to enable enhanced rendering, which helps with all the jaggies, something you can do on a $35 Raspberry Pi. This could have been a great product. Sadly, it seems Sony handed this off to their B, or even C, team to handle.

dx11332sega said:
Good thing I cancelled mine hope Sony learns that customer ain't easy . And this failed cash grab makes a better PS2 mini in future :)

Really, I think they should do a PS One Classic, first.  Fix all the issues found in the PSX Classic, add DS controllers, and maybe add an additional 5-10 games.  Now, that would sell great.  As for the PS2 Classic, that would definitely have to cost ~$150.  Not only are you going to need much better HW, but you have to have a much larger amount of flash storage, as those games are very big.  It might sell, but at that point, you would be pushing it for what's an acceptable price.

I remember when someone on this site said "It will do amazing regardless" and "we aren't the customers for this device". Looks like Customers for this device are in another castle.

All the reviews I've read were mixed at best, and it's even using a free emulator in it.

Well deserved.

Around the Network

I agree this didn't turn out so well and Sony should've done a better job.  I think Sony should've done a "create your own classic" because there's just so many diverse classic titles that nobody seems to agree.

Like consumers buy the system, hook it up to the TV and via wifi, then pops open a mini-PSN store where you're allowed to choose any 20 games from like 50-100 games to download (not allowed to uninstall/reformat once the initial 20 games are chosen and downloaded). Sure it's not the best, out-of-the-box system but this way it'll really be the consumer's best classic system and this way people can't/shouldn't complain. (But we all know there'll always be complainers regardless)

Hopefully Sony does this with the PS2 when it comes time, or even redo this PS1 classic with this idea lol

But honestly if you want the PS1 classics without the PS1 mini appearance just find a super cheap PS3 (can find for like $50) and download all the PS1 classic on the PSN store of your choice. There's even Legend of Dragoon! Each game is like $4-10 but can be even cheaper during PSN Flash Sales. Sure overall you may be paying a bit more if you want to equal 20 games to match the same amount as the PS1 classic but you'll guarantee its 100% the games you want. Also with a PS3 itll be your blu-ray/Netflix player with free online gaming (if you choose to play any PS3 games) and a larger storage with a wireless controller that looks just like the PS1 with analog lol ....yes this is taking away from the whole nostalgia thing but this option does more than the PS1 classic and better!

I guess what I'm saying is dont buy this, buy a PS3 instead lol I'm sure you get the idea lol :P

thismeintiel said:

I really don't understand why they didn't use their own in house emulator. Or if they were going to use the open source one, why not allow updates to improve it at later dates. Even better would have been to enable enhanced rendering, which helps with all the jaggies, something you can do on a $35 Raspberry Pi. This could have been a great product. Sadly, it seems Sony handed this off to their B, or even C, team to handle.

This has been a big question i keep coming back to. It's very under stated just how good their in house emulator is. It was able to push almost perfect compatibility on a PSP. It has been ported to the PS3, and the ARM based PSV, which makes it hard to understand why they couldn't port it to another ARM based chipset. The only reason I can figure is that it has always been baked into their firmwares, and they didn't want to invest too much R&D on a nostalgia device that would have enough security to keep their emulator locked down.

I'm at least a little hopeful that it means they value the in house emulator enough not to let it get leaked, and maybe it'll see a return in PS5.

lansingone said:
thismeintiel said:

This has been a big question i keep coming back to. It's very under stated just how good their in house emulator is. It was able to push almost perfect compatibility on a PSP. It has been ported to the PS3, and the ARM based PSV, which makes it hard to understand why they couldn't port it to another ARM based chipset. The only reason I can figure is that it has always been baked into their firmwares, and they didn't want to invest too much R&D on a nostalgia device that would have enough security to keep their emulator locked down.

I'm at least a little hopeful that it means they value the in house emulator enough not to let it get leaked, and maybe it'll see a return in PS5.

I suppose that is a possibility.  I do think they are going to focus a lot more on B/C next gen given some of the statements and patents we have seen.  Though, really, there is also no reason the PS4 doesn't at least play PS1 Classics from the store.  Not sure why they have ignored that extra stream of revenue.

collint0101 said:
I honestly still kinda want one. The collector in me wants yet another box sitting by my TV

That's the problem that I'm having to fight with. My collector side wants it, but my logical side is winning.

Yeah, it did seem like the more new info that was presented, the worse the product turned out to be. By the time of its launch, it sounded like a mediocre machine that just functions I suppose, which is a bit of a shame. Kinda seems like Sony half-heartedly put this machine together.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread