By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people get upset by OPTIONAL difficult assists?

Darashiva said:
It's a completely pointless complaint. Giving players more options to customize the game to their preferences and skill level don't take anything away from people who like to play games on the so-called intended difficulty level. There's is not a single negative side to having more difficulty options in a game that allows people who otherwise wouldn't be able to play it do so.

At most dev may put a disclaimer in front of the difficult settings like "the way we designed the game to be played". They may even put an even harder setting for people that want it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I see no reason to get upset about the idea of having difficulty options. It's just arrogant as having options doesn't mean you no longer can enjoy the game the way you want to.

For example, while I personally enjoy the difficulty in Breath of the Wild, including its durability system, I wouldn't object to options that would let you adjust enemy HP, damage, frequency of stronger enemies, the durability or an option that would *gasp* get rid of durability altogether.

I've never understood the issue with this kind of idea either, Curl, even on a game like Dark Souls.

I mean, look at Smash - the adventure mode has its difficulties listed as "Easy", "Normal (Recommended)" and "Hard". The designers designed that mode with a particular difficulty level in mind (hence calling it "recommended") but provided other options to cater to different skill levels. I'm not gonna lie, I've had to push it down from Normal to Easy on a couple of occasions. I might have had three hours to blow on a single challenge when I was 20, but not now.

Different difficulty options are pretty much never a bad thing. They don't require a lot of effort to include in a game, and they allow it to reach a wider audience. Besides, what's easy for one person isn't always for another.

Intrinsic said:
HoloDust said:
Sorry Curl, but no. I'm actually fairly against difficulty levels, if anything they more often than not break the experience.
Not every game is for everyone, in some things you're good, in some you're just not.
If anything, more games should be like Souls (and most much older games, while we're at it) and have only one diificulty (or at worst very, very narrow leeway) and it's up to player to either figure it out, or look for another game that suits it needs and skills.

I'll give you an example from similar hobby, boardgames - I mostly like to play so called Euro-games (it has nothing to do these days with country of origin), but mostly of medium weight, medium-hard at most (that being 3.5 out of 5 complexity on Board Game Geek). anything above that is no go zone for me...at least at the present time. There are some amazing games that are more complex, I just don't want to play them, either cause I don't have time, patience or both. But never have I thought that any of them need an easy mode, nor any of them actually have it. Why? Balancing of mechanisms - if anything, if there is lighter version, it's usually completely different game, often by different designer, that resembles its heavier counterpart, but aimed at wider market.

Which brings me to the very point - most video games these days are made for mass market, and they will have wide diificulty level scale because publishers want to sell as many copies as possible. But luckily, there are still games and developers that do not aim for mass market (although some of them do become popular) that do not want to sacrifirce fine balance of underlying mechanisms and then it's up to each person to decide if that game is for them or not.

This is like saying if you can't drive a manual then dont drive at all.

No.

He's saying that if you only driven automatics and buy a car with manual you should learn to drive with the manual transmission. It might be harder initially but as time goes you get better.

Spindel said:
Intrinsic said:

No.

He's saying that if you only driven automatics and buy a car with manual you should learn to drive with the manual transmission. It might be harder initially but as time goes you get better.

Nope. Would at least be something like "don't make this car with auto option, whoever wants to buy it should learn to drive manual because reasons".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Spindel said:
Intrinsic said:

No.

Absolutely not what he is saying. And we are talking about options here.

So using cars a better example would be how (and this happens) you have 3 trims of a honda civic with one having a manual, one an automatic and one with a semi automatic (with paddle shifters to still give you manual control but without the hassle of a clutch). What he is basically saying is that if driving a manual is perceived as the "best way to drive" then even though its hard and shut out majority of the drivers then they shouldn't still make an automatic which in his mind breaks the true experience of driving. S you either get better at driving a manual or don't buy the car at all.

This is about options. 

When you really think about it; what sense does it make for a dev to make a game that only 5% of the gamers out there can play? Do you think any publisher would ever complain about more sales? Or they would go "we aren't happy that 10M people got the game because 9M of them finished the game on the normal difficulty instead of the hard difficulty".

Do you know how easy it is to build in difficulty levels into most games? With a game like dark souls just make the enemies do considerably less damage. Simple as that.

If you ask me, I think a game without an at least basic (hit point) difficulty setting just shows laziness on the part of the developers. 

Hiku said:
SvennoJ said:

I finished God of War on easy, which was damn hard for me against the final Valkyrie boss. Game of the year for me. Freely changing difficulty on the fly reduced any frustration and kept the game fun from beginning to end.

Do you mean that you started off on a higher difficulty in God of War, but lowered it to an easier one at times?

Exactly. I started on a higher difficulty level and reduced it where I was struggling then back up  when it seemed to be getting too easy. I like games that allow you to switch difficulty on the fly. That's always an incentive for me to start on a higher difficulty level. If you can't change it on the fly I usually play on normal or easy.

In Metroid Samus Returns there's this scanner ability that allows you to see destructible blocks and discover a portion of the map. Using it is completely optional since you can pretty much do the same thing the old fashion way with bombs and power bombs. But when core fans knew about this they saw it as something terrible. Like... how could Nintendo dare to give the player the choice of playing like they always did or use something that is much more convinient? Shame on you, Nintendo! Only true hardcore gamers are allowed to play Metroid and the only possible way to do it is by laying bombs in every fucking square of every room!

Huh. No wonder the Metroid franchise is getting smaller and smaller...

SvennoJ said:
Hiku said:

Do you mean that you started off on a higher difficulty in God of War, but lowered it to an easier one at times?

Exactly. I started on a higher difficulty level and reduced it where I was struggling then back up  when it seemed to be getting too easy. I like games that allow you to switch difficulty on the fly. That's always an incentive for me to start on a higher difficulty level. If you can't change it on the fly I usually play on normal or easy.

Much more sensible option than starting straight on Give me God of War as I let my friends influence me on doing =p

Hiku said:
HoloDust said:

I'm not completely against some sort of difficulty scaling in all games, it's just that I think if there must be some, it should be much, much narrower scale - cause, from my experience at least, wide difficulty scaling inevitably breaks the balancing. So, to answer your question, if game indeed has narrow difficulty scaling (so there is only slightly easier option) and if even then one is not able to  manage it, then that game is simply not for them - and there's nothing wrong with it, there are plenty of games out there.

What I'm completey against is all sort of player aids, especially in RPGs - there almost nothing more game breaking in modern AAA "RPGs" than all sort of handholding devs are putting into them. Again, consequence of what is essentially niche genre going mass market and publishers wanting more sales, thus more audience from outside of core genre.

But what I'm saying is, if there is a significantly easier mode that they end up do enjoying, then the game is for them. Or let's phrase it in another way. It's a game they enjoy. And that's the most important thing about video games.

When you put it that way...sure. The thing is, from my observation at least, it's impossible to balance games for wide difficulty scaling and preserve intended expereince. Eventually, you get games that are trying to be more "accessible" where that "accessibility" creeps into every design decision, no matter the level....right about every AAA game these days is guilty of that. To the pojnt of whole genres being hijacked and completely diluted.

Like i said I think that narrow scaling can work in some games. I don't really expect any AAA publisher to implement it though, mass market is there audience and they are designing games for mass market. Nothing inherently wrong with that, there are plenty of people who like those games. Just as it's nothing wrong with those who have other priorities offfering their games "as is", and it's up to each person to decide if it's for them or not...and git gud...or not.