By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people get upset by OPTIONAL difficult assists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4_auMe1HsY&ab_channel=videogamedunkey

Around the Network

Without reading a single reply in this thread:

Because one gameplay mechanic is difficulty and figuring out how to overcome obstacles is the point.

If you want to take that away you should just go watch a movie instead.

I know this seems like gate keeping and sounds elitist but I claim it's not. If you don't want the challange, when the challange is the point of the activity, you should go do something else. Every activity isn't for everyone.

Sorry Curl, but no. I'm actually fairly against difficulty levels, if anything they more often than not break the experience.
Not every game is for everyone, in some things you're good, in some you're just not.
If anything, more games should be like Souls (and most much older games, while we're at it) and have only one diificulty (or at worst very, very narrow leeway) and it's up to player to either figure it out, or look for another game that suits it needs and skills.

I'll give you an example from similar hobby, boardgames - I mostly like to play so called Euro-games (it has nothing to do these days with country of origin), but mostly of medium weight, medium-hard at most (that being 3.5 out of 5 complexity on Board Game Geek). anything above that is no go zone for me...at least at the present time. There are some amazing games that are more complex, I just don't want to play them, either cause I don't have time, patience or both. But never have I thought that any of them need an easy mode, nor any of them actually have it. Why? Balancing of mechanisms - if anything, if there is lighter version, it's usually completely different game, often by different designer, that resembles its heavier counterpart, but aimed at wider market.

Which brings me to the very point - most video games these days are made for mass market, and they will have wide diificulty level scale because publishers want to sell as many copies as possible. But luckily, there are still games and developers that do not aim for mass market (although some of them do become popular) that do not want to sacrifirce fine balance of underlying mechanisms and then it's up to each person to decide if that game is for them or not.

Because they're jealous since they didn't have those when they were growing up in "arcades" and lost money on intentionally badly designed games to extort money.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hiku said:
HoloDust said: 
Sorry Curl, but no. I'm actually fairly against difficulty levels, if anything they more often than not break the experience.
Not every game is for everyone, in some things you're good, in some you're just not.
If anything, more games should be like Souls (and most much older games, while we're at it) and have only one diificulty (or at worst very, very narrow leeway) and it's up to player to either figure it out, or look for another game that suits it needs and skills.

I'll give you an example from similar hobby, boardgames - I mostly like to play so called Euro-games (it has nothing to do these days with country of origin), but mostly of medium weight, medium-hard at most (that being 3.5 out of 5 complexity on Board Game Geek). anything above that is no go zone for me...at least at the present time. There are some amazing games that are more complex, I just don't want to play them, either cause I don't have time, patience or both. But never have I thought that any of them need an easy mode, nor any of them actually have it. Why? Balancing of mechanisms - if anything, if there is lighter version, it's usually completely different game, often by different designer, that resembles its heavier counterpart, but aimed at wider market.

Which brings me to the very point - most video games these days are made for mass market, and they will have wide diificulty level scale because publishers want to sell as many copies as possible. But luckily, there are still games and developers that do not aim for mass market (although some of them do become popular) that do not want to sacrifirce fine balance of underlying mechanisms and then it's up to each person to decide if that game is for them or not.

@HoloDust
What you said with the examples you gave makes sense for you. But why do you think people who would enjoy a different and easier experience should just not play the game at all? If the alternative is that they are so discouraged by the original difficulty that they won't play much of the game, isn't it better to let them have another option that they may enjoy? (Even if you or I don't enjoy that easier experience.)

I'm not completely against some sort of difficulty scaling in all games, it's just that I think if there must be some, it should be much, much narrower scale - cause, from my experience at least, wide difficulty scaling inevitably breaks the balancing. So, to answer your question, if game indeed has narrow difficulty scaling (so there is only slightly easier option) and if even then one is not able to  manage it, then that game is simply not for them - and there's nothing wrong with it, there are plenty of games out there.

What I'm completey against is all sort of player aids, especially in RPGs - there almost nothing more game breaking in modern AAA "RPGs" than all sort of handholding devs are putting into them. Again, consequence of what is essentially niche genre going mass market and publishers wanting more sales, thus more audience from outside of core genre.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:

So, let's get ride of the word objective.  What downside is there to an optional assist mode.  Assuming the game is otherwise well made and balanced, why should this in any way make anyone enjoy the game less?

Gameplay. It is always about gameplay. This thread is a veiled thread about Souls, because be real, no one really makes a fuss about anything else. You can't tell me there is serious outrage about something like Funky Kong in Tropical Freeze. There might be a few here and there, but no real thing. So the one game series it boils down to is Souls. And here is the thing: it is not about difficulty, it is about gameplay. Many people, the majority, wants fast gameplay, they react fast and snippy to stuff. If you try that in Souls it gets you killed. Because it has a different gameplay. Which is okay. There is a group of people - much smaller - who enjoys this slower gameplay. But some people of the first group think it is a game for them. They go in expecting that, and it doesn't work.

I can't hear anymore about the difficulty of Souls, because it really isn't. Most games that praise themself as hard as a Souls game are in reality much harder. Souls gets easy - if you played it how it was designed. Now adding more HP or giving your attack more power would make the game easier (and I don't think anyone actually is against that), but it wouldn't solve the problem of the complainers. Because still running in guns blazing would get you killed.

So I can't hear anymore about that easy mode for Souls, because in reality people want to say: I want Dark Souls, but it must be a different game. I wish From Software would add an actual easy mode - cheaper progression would do the trick quite easily - so that the complainers are finally shut up. Because they would still hate the game but hadn't any way anymore to propose 'a fix'.

You say you can't hear it anymore, so what are you doing here?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
The Souls games are a terrible example of this. The quality of those games is largely reliant on the ability to have fun by getting over difficulty curves. If someone played a Souls game on easy not only would they miss the point of the game largely, but they would probably enjoy it less too. Not every game is for everyone - and one thing that sticks out about the example regarding the Souls games is that it's never a wish of the developers or the fanbase for there to be an easy mode, it's always the wish of people the game was never catering to to begin with. At least with the Nintendo games you gave as an example it is an actual want of the developers to provide player assist.

The other games you listed had no real outrage as to their player assist so I don't really know what you mean? I do know that people would mention how they didn't like using the mode, but then they just wouldn't use it. The most recent example of outrage might be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but that was because that game can be quite competitive and allowing an AI to help the player steer can potentially be frustrating for other players. Though, I've never seen anyone actually complain about it's use, just the theory around the idea, and so again on that end there wasn't a big outrage about it.

There are ways around this though. I dont think there is any justification for agame not having difficulty settings And this is coming from someone that selects the hard difficulty on every game I play.

Just award a trophy for finishing the game n the hard difficulty. Maybe even throw in a special ending there too. This way those wanting to experience a game as intended can and those wanting an easier playthrough can also play too. Everyone wins.

Take GOW for instance. One of the hardest games to play on Give me God of war (hardest) difficulty and they also made it so that its the one difficulty you can't change mid game. Didn't stop millions from loving the game. 

And they had the very lame "give me a story" difficult that even my 3 year old was able to get over 50% of the game finished already (will probably finish the game with time). Am I bothered by it since I finished on Give me God of War with extreme dedication to do it? Not at all, I love that my son that liked to see me play so much was able to enjoy it himself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

HoloDust said:

This is like saying if you can't drive a manual then dont drive at all.

If you don't take your bike for track days then you have no business riding bikes.

If you cant dance then you might as well stay at home and not go out.

Choices or options is never a bad thing. Never.

If the inclusion of a difficulty setting "breaks the experience" from a development perspective then its n the devs to get that balance right. If it breaks the experience from what can only be described as dogmatic.... then thats on you.

Make game. Give difficulty options that allows gamers tailor their experience of said game to their skill. Release game. 

Simple.

Intrinsic said:
HoloDust said:

This is like saying if you can't drive a manual then dont drive at all.

If you don't take your bike for track days then you have no business riding bikes.

If you cant dance then you might as well stay at home and not go out.

Choices or options is never a bad thing. Never.

If the inclusion of a difficulty setting "breaks the experience" from a development perspective then its n the devs to get that balance right. If it breaks the experience from what can only be described as dogmatic.... then thats on you.

Make game. Give difficulty options that allows gamers tailor their experience of said game to their skill. Release game. 

Simple.

It is so funny we living in an age that people love to talk about diversity and inclusion on silly things are making someone blatantly showing their non-binary sexual orientation or including token chars on environment they don't make sense, but when it is about allowing someone to enjoy a game (be it by dub/sub a game to more languages or having lower skills required by the way of more difficult settings) some people will totally fret.

It's a completely pointless complaint. Giving players more options to customize the game to their preferences and skill level don't take anything away from people who like to play games on the so-called intended difficulty level. There's is not a single negative side to having more difficulty options in a game that allows people who otherwise wouldn't be able to play it do so.