By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA/DICE mocks critics of BFV at launch party

I don't understand how EA/DICE doesn't see the answer to this. All they have to do is look at the COD rotation. Have 2 teams, and have one team create unrealistic war games that are based on real wars or completely fabricated, and have another continue on with the more realistic immersive games they've been making as of lately. Rotate every so often. Call both Battlefield if you want, but make it clear with a subtitle that one series is fairy tale land and the other is history at it's finest, no messing around.

If EA doesn't want to do this, and expects their audience to change, or hopes do draw in a new audience, then good luck. Why not put in a little more effort so you can easily have your cake and eat it too? If your so sure your new direction of Battlefield will sell well enough to make it worth it that is.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Medisti said:

I like the option to play as females. It's fiction. Taking liberties is the whole point of fiction.

But, come on. EA's statements and handling of the entire release have been nothing short of abhorrent. What PR is "If you don't like it, don't buy it"? A lot of people who were fine with the game are put off by that attitude. "This company wants me to give them my money? No thank you. They're rude."

That is a valid point. How they have handled the PR has been questionable. 

KManX89 said:

The problem is that it's based on a real event. If EA/DICE wanted to make their own original modern shooter with a cricket bat-wielding prosthetic-armed woman, there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash. Granted, there might still be some sexist assholes ripping the game a new one, but nowhere near the level of scathing BFV received, I wonder why.

Operative word is here 'based'. "Based on a real events" means that the real event is the starting point for whatever story or design they choose to make. Not that it reflects said real events as accurately as possible. 

That said, we are talking about a game where you can be revived in MP... real it isn't.

Yeah. The whole point of fiction is the ability to make your own version. There's plenty of alternate history fiction where all kinds of crazy stuff happens and no one complains about that.

Just don't lump us all in with the people who are mad because "they put womxn in mah Battlefield." Those people exist, don't get me wrong. But there's more nuance to it than that. I really hope companies learn that treating your customers this way because a small subset of them is terrible ends up doing much more harm than good. Look at Ghostbusters 2016. My mom refused to see it because the actors and directors were being very similar. Is my mother sexist? :p

Last edited by Medisti - on 05 December 2018

That's terrible shit tbh, honestly look at the stuff on that board which is being put there to mock and consider it was anything other gender and colour... if that sign read "black men, black men, black men" or anything negative towards woman there would be cries of racism from the highest powers going, but nope... can't be racist against White males, you can only be racist against poor discriminated minorities.

Depressing. My interest in all things EA declines with something like this.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Baddman said:
KManX89 said:

Then why not include Resistance women in the game, you know, women who were actually in WW2? But nope, gotta rewrite history and call people uneducated and act like conceited jackasses all in an effort to appease people who won't buy our game, anyway! 

I guar-damn-tee you if they made their own original modern day shooter with a cricket bat-wielding prosthetic-armed woman, there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash as this game is getting, but keep pretending this is about "hating inclusivity". 

I'm not pretending anything its stupid to get upset over a game having a female character no matter the time period.  Its a videogame

The issue is that instead of saying that, they chose to say "If you don't like it, then you're an uneducated nazi, so don't buy our game". Their handling of the issue was way worse than the issue itself. And surprisingly, the gamers they said "don't buy our game" to, well... Didn't buy the game. Too bad it was a pretty big part of their userbase.

And this childish insulting reaction at their launch party, ignoring the result of their PR fail and choosing to keep insisting, just prove that someone should get fired. 

flashfire926 said:

Game was down 85% in pre-orders, compared to Black Ops 4, then 65% down in sales UK when comparing the first two weeks of battlefield 1 to 5. Target and Best Buy dropped the game's price to $30 just a week after launch. As a result EA's stock is also 40% down compared to E3 time.

Keep digging your own grave, DICE. For once I'm going to be clapping if a studio goes belly up.

This is exactly what happens when you pander to an audience that doesn't even play games.

It's not even that the group do not play games... but it's a large group which definitely isn't as large a portion of their customer base as those that DICE are firing shit at here and should be more worried about, this whole thing to me would be like if McDonalds was to launch a campaign mocking the working class and poorer end of society in a bid to please suit wearing businessmen, which I'm going to guess make up around 1% or less than their total income, it's not surprise in the slightest that when you mock your main customer base then you'll lose money.

Outside of the issues introduced with by strong arming this and creating a whole host of negative PR for themselves, as others have said... anyone that is buying the game and reviewing it are also finding that it has a whole host of other issues regarding content and gameplay so the game should fail but not fail in a way that EA can try and turn around and point the finger at "white males" for ruining it, when they went on stage and said "we don't want your money"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Baddman said:

I'm not pretending anything its stupid to get upset over a game having a female character no matter the time period.  Its a videogame

The issue is that instead of saying that, they chose to say "If you don't like it, then you're an uneducated nazi, so don't buy our game". Their handling of the issue was way worse than the issue itself. And surprisingly, the gamers they said "don't buy our game" to, well... Didn't buy the game. Too bad it was a pretty big part of their userbase.

And this childish insulting reaction at their launch party, ignoring the result of their PR fail and choosing to keep insisting, just prove that someone should get fired. 

I agree the PR was bad but this situation still boggles my mind that people would complain over meaningless things like this(don't take this as me defending EA's bad PR but the fact it was ever a complaint to begin with.)

EA is just one of those companies that just will never learn

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Norwegian saboteurs did their part to destroy heavy water that the Nazis were producing for nuclear weapons. This game removes the brave males many who died and lost limbs to inset 2 women. So I think dice are history challenged.

mhsillen said:
Norwegian saboteurs did their part to destroy heavy water that the Nazis were producing for nuclear weapons. This game removes the brave males many who died and lost limbs to inset 2 women. So I think dice are history challenged.

We want to tell the untold stories! - DICE / EA

Apparently they mean the ones that never happened.

melbye said:

Kinda pathetic quite frankly. Couldn't be happier that their revisionist filth is failing

While I passed on the game as it looked rather bland, I don't think they ever marketed the game as historically accurate.