By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch is perfectly viable as a primary or even only gaming device...

SilenceDeadly said:
Depends on taste, Switch library is still undeveloped for being a serious primary gaming system, the online is also pretty shit.

You say depends on taste, then go against your own comment.  You contradict yourself.

But yes, online features are shit.  I will give you that.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
As others have mentioned, most big AAA games do not come to Switch. I think the average gamer wants to play most of those games, and doesn't want to stay a generation behind (because that's what the vast majority of AAA, third-party games on Switch are). And, if I'm correct about the average gamer wanting this, and since we're talking in general, that would make the Switch not viable as an only console. It certainly could be a primary though, as having a PS or XB on the side would allow access to pretty much all of these current AAA games.

But, I take issue with the premise in the OP. There is no way to really boil gaming down to generalities like this. One's tastes are completely subjective, and one's needs are very personal. I like shooters, I don't travel a lot or commute by public transit, and I want access to the big games of the day. So, Switch doesn't make sense as a primary or only console for me. If you prefer other games, sit on a train for 60 minutes per day and spend a half of your life traveling for work, Switch could be the only system that makes sense for you.

We can also look at this without considering Nintendo. I own every major system on the market right now. I think PlayStation has the best first party lineup, and I want to play those games. But, the single most important franchise to me in all of gaming hid Halo. So, if I had to choose an only console, it would be Xbox. On the other hand, my primary console is a PlayStation 4, because that's where the games are. So, as you can see, the topic is very complex, and extremely personal.

You don't have to sit on a train for 60 minutes or spend half your life traveling that's a misconception on enjoying the Switch as a console, why the NS works well even as a primary console is that as a platform it fits multiple gaming habits while having a strong library regardless of taste.

In regards to AAA titles that is actually one of the most back and fourth arguments people are bringing up because AAA is not indicative of quality or being must have as a number of AAA games in recent years have fallen short with F76 being a recent example and other examples include the likes of Destiny and its sequel.

Shiken said:
SilenceDeadly said:
Depends on taste, Switch library is still undeveloped for being a serious primary gaming system, the online is also pretty shit.

You say depends on taste, then go against your own comment.  You contradict yourself.

But yes, online features are shit.  I will give you that.

By this time next year Switch should be in a tremendous position. 

If you’re disregarding personal taste or preferences then even the 3DO was viable as a primary console.

Id never make my Switch my primary or only console because the games just aren’t there imo. I think Civ VI is the only Switch game I’ve bought this year.

LudicrousSpeed said:

If you’re disregarding personal taste or preferences then even the 3DO was viable as a primary console.

Id never make my Switch my primary or only console because the games just aren’t there imo. I think Civ VI is the only Switch game I’ve bought this year.

I bought more Switch games than I have PS4 games this year.  What is your point?

That just means that you either ONLY play big AAA games that do not come to Swirch OR portability is not a factor for you.  That is fine, that is your personal taste and needs that are being covered.  However this does nothing to detract from the point of the actual topic at hand.

Around the Network

My main console for years, and almost my sole console, was the DS.

So I totally agree with you..

agreed with op but this should be common sense.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Isn't this the other way around? That looking at personal tastes even the 3DO is viable as a primary for some? Maybe my usage of english is wrong here, I'm not a native speaker, so correct me if I misunderstand.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Baddman said:
agreed with op but this should be common sense.

It should be.  Unfortunately there are still those who would deny the fact.

Nintendo consoles usually are my primary console but this gen its way and beyond ahead of the other consoles for me.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints