By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch is perfectly viable as a primary or even only gaming device...

Shiken said:

Hit me everything you got!

You just missed:
Red Dead Redemption 2
Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Games you wont be able to enjoy on the Switch in 2019:
Psychonauts 2
Kingdom Hearts III
Jump Force
Anthem
Left Alive
Devil May Cry 5
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Biomutant
Black Desert Online
Catherine full body
Dreams
Control
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Dying Light 2
Resident evil 2 remake
Metro Exodus
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Shenmue III
One Piece: World Seeker
Skull & Bones
Tropico 6
Wasteland 3
World War Z
Beyond Good And Evil 2
Rage 2
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
Tom Clancy's The Division 2
Twin Mirror
Team Sonic Racing

2019? (maybe lateron):
Babylon’s Fall
Code Vein
Starfield
Cyberpunk 2077
Death Stranding
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part II
Elder Scrolls VI
Ghost of Tsushima
Judge Eyes (next series from Yakuza devs)
Nioh 2

Theres plenty reasons to pick up another console than the Switch.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Weird thread, I own all three consoles, but really any of them could be viable as a primary gaming device. I mean, my iPhone would be perfectly viable as a primary gaming device. There is an argument for any gaming platform really.

That is exactly my point.  Everything is subject to the individual's personal taste/needs.  There are pros and cons to all three platforms.  For example...

Many of the big 3rd party AAA games these days are starting to feel very samey and watered down.  Many of them do not interest me as much anymore, and I find myself enjoying the AA games of the world more these days (which most come to Switch and portability plays a factor for me).

CoD for example released a solid game, but only after all of the positive reviews came in did they shove Micro transactions in our faces.  Warframe is basically what Destiny should have been and now I can take it anywhere that has wifi with ease.  Assassins Creed Odyssey, while a step in a good direction, has its own shallow issues and micro transformations to worry about.

I find myself enjoying games like Valkeria Chronicles and Ys so much more these days.  There are of course exceptions, like RE7 or Red Dead 2, which is what I have my PS4 for.

My point is that any argument made against the Switch, can also be used against the others to some extent based on the needs of the gamer in question.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
KLXVER said:
I love the Switch, but I could never be a Nintendo only gamer anymore. Too many great games on the other two consoles. Especially the PlayStation.

Now missing out on games can also be used against any console as well.  If you are a Sony only gamer, you get no Mario, Zelda, Smash, Octopath, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, Metroid, etc.  This works both ways, even for XBox to an extent.

What big games in 2019 are comeing out for the Switch, that you cant play on a PS4?
Could you do a list for 2019 switch exclusives? (just the big name titles)

*edit:
I looked for myself.
Big budget titles comeing out exclusively for the Switch in 2019, that I could spot:

Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, new Pokemon...

Those are 4 amasing titles to be sure, but look on the PS4 side for 2019.
Theres a ton of big AAA games from 3rd party, that wont make it to the switch.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 December 2018

JRPGfan said:
Shiken said:

Hit me everything you got!

You just missed:
Red Dead Redemption 2
Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Games you wont be able to enjoy on the Switch in 2019:
Psychonauts 2
Kingdom Hearts III
Jump Force
Anthem
Left Alive
Devil May Cry 5
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Biomutant
Black Desert Online
Catherine full body
Dreams
Control
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Dying Light 2
Resident evil 2 remake
Metro Exodus
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Shenmue III
One Piece: World Seeker
Skull & Bones
Tropico 6
Wasteland 3
World War Z
Beyond Good And Evil 2
Rage 2
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
Tom Clancy's The Division 2
Twin Mirror

2019? (maybe lateron):
Babylon’s Fall
Code Vein
Starfield
Cyberpunk 2077
Death Stranding
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part II
Elder Scrolls VI
Ghost of Tsushima
Judge Eyes (next series from Yakuza devs)
Nioh 2

Theres plenty reasons to pick up another console than the Switch.

You just missed:

Octopath Traveller

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Smash (in a week)

Mario Party

Mario Tennis Aces

Pokemon Lets Go

NSMBU (if you did not have a WiiU)

Bayonetta 2 (no WiiU)

Donkey Kong (no WiiU)

Hyrule Warriors (no WiiU)

You will soon miss:

Yoshi

Luigi's Mansion 3

Fire Emblem

Animal Crossing

Bayonetta 3

Metroid Prime 4

Core Pokemon

Town

NSMBU (if you did not have a WiiU)

And since the PS4 Pro is my SIDE console, I miss zero games you listed.  I play more games on Switch, and I have the option to pick up the games that do not come to the console.  If I did not have a PS4, I would still have plenty to play with what does have on it, but miss out on those titles (just like PS4 only gamers would miss out on Nintendo only releases).  Also as I stated before, being a big title does not equate to enjoyment.  Look at BF5 or Fallout 76 as evidence.  Even many of the good "big" releases are more shallow than advertised.

Yes the PS4 has more options, but when I can actually play more on Switch due to time constraints, what good are they?  Once again, it all boils down to the need of the gamer and for many, the Switch is more viable than a PS4 as primary console.

Last edited by Shiken - on 04 December 2018

Theres no release date for Metroid Prime 4 yet is there?

And I did have a Wii U.

Still its massively in favor of the PS4, game release wise imo.
To the point where Id suspect most still use the Switch as a side console.

Shiken said:
JRPGfan said:

You just missed:

Octopath Traveller

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Smash (in a week)

Mario Party

Mario Tennis Aces

Pokemon Lets Go

The only games that really appeal to me there are Octopath Traveller & Xenoblade 2.
I never enjoyed Smash as a fighter, and mario party & tennis are meh level games imo.

Shiken said:
JRPGfan said:

You will soon miss:

Yoshi

Luigi's Mansion 3

Fire Emblem

Animal Crossing

Bayonetta 3

Metroid Prime 4

Core Pokemon

Town

Fire Emblem is probably the one that draws me the most of those.
Yoshis + Luigis Mansion somewhat too.

The rest dont really hold all that much appeal tbh.
also if your gonna list Switch games far off in the future HOW COULD YOU FORGET SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI V!!!!

I really should get a switch one of these days.... its starting to build up a library (i wanna play Mario Oddessey badly).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 December 2018

Around the Network

Shiken, I have to renew my objection to this thread’s premise. You’re inviting people to discredit Switch as a primary/only console—which they’re doing successfully, based on their personal priorities—and then disputing their posts, based on YOUR personal priorities. We haven’t moved the conversation forward at all, really, apart from arriving at “Switch is a good primary for some people”, which is a truism.

well, I have a WiiU and a PC. My WiiU is primary console and I love that.

JRPGfan said:

Theres no release date for Metroid Prime 4 yet is there?

And I did have a Wii U.

Still its massively in favor of the PS4, game release wise imo.
To the point where Id suspect most still use the Switch as a side console.

Shiken said:

You just missed:

Octopath Traveller

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Smash (in a week)

Mario Party

Mario Tennis Aces

Pokemon Lets Go

The only games that really appeal to me there are Octopath Traveller & Xenoblade 2.
I never enjoyed Smash as a fighter, and mario party & tennis are meh level games imo.

For many of us where portability is a factor, it is heavily against PS4.  Most people will pass on much of what you listed simply because they do not have the time to play at home.  For many of us, Switch as a primary will result in more games being enjoyed, despite the size of AAA libraries.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Shiken, I have to renew my objection to this thread’s premise. You’re inviting people to discredit Switch as a primary/only console—which they’re doing successfully, based on their personal priorities—and then disputing their posts, based on YOUR personal priorities. We haven’t moved the conversation forward at all, really, apart from arriving at “Switch is a good primary for some people”, which is a truism.

This type of stalemate also plays into my overall point, which is everything is subjective.  Those that simply argue that Switch CANNOT be a main or primary console, simply wish it to be the case.  An argument can be made for all of them depending on the person.

I really enjoy my Switch but the way Nintendo's been it can never be my primary/only console. It lacks too many 3rd party games I enjoy and it doesn't satisfy my online gaming fix. (also because a lot of the online games I enjoy playing aren't on Switch)

Seems Nintendo will always remain as my party system and for only Nintendo exclusives games, which is why I will always need another primary console.

What I'm currently loving to do with my Switch is when I play Black Ops 4's Black Out mode, whenever I die, I just play Pokemon Let's Go until the rest of my friends die (or win). It's a great way to kill time inbetween.

V-r0cK said:
I really enjoy my Switch but the way Nintendo's been it can never be my primary/only console. It lacks too many 3rd party games I enjoy and it doesn't satisfy my online gaming fix. (also because a lot of the online games I enjoy playing aren't on Switch)

Seems Nintendo will always remain as my party system and for only Nintendo exclusives games, which is why I will always need another primary console.

What I'm currently loving to do with my Switch is when I play Black Ops 4's Black Out mode, whenever I die, I just play Pokemon Let's Go until the rest of my friends die (or win). It's a great way to kill time inbetween.

Wow, I did not think of that!  That is a really nice idea!