By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 exclusives should get a 4K 60 with high resolution assets update next gen Update: Confirmed

DonFerrari said:
Sony have profited a lot from cross-gen sales for games that first were just PS3 launch. So I really expect some of the best seller will receive a vamp-up for PS5 and get additional sales even if BC exists. Now, only patch already sold games that person won't need to buy another game I don't think it will happen. At most patch to 60fps.

Yeah I'll probably not buy any ps4 games at launch if they release within 6 months of ps5 so I'll play the upgraded ps5 version. 

Around the Network

I’d be much more interested in native BC with PS1 and PS2 since I don’t care for most PS4 exclusives. That being said, Sony has preferred to resell us remasters instead of doing BC, hopefully they change.

That's not how it works. If they can get 4k and 60. They'll just up the visual effects and quality and have it 4k 30.

Ohh you're talking about Current gen on PS5. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Im so ready to get The ps5

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

twintail said:
GOWTLOZ said: 

They wouldn't have to redo the games. Games are made with high resolution assets which are simplified for the final release due to hardware constraints, even on PC. They would just have to bring their higher resolution assets in a patch.

By redo I meant the asset switching/ upgrading, not actual changing of the core code. But yes I agree it is feasible, but that it depends on easy it is for them to do. it should be, but you never know until it is done.

DonFerrari said:
Sony have profited a lot from cross-gen sales for games that first were just PS3 launch. So I really expect some of the best seller will receive a vamp-up for PS5 and get additional sales even if BC exists. Now, only patch already sold games that person won't need to buy another game I don't think it will happen. At most patch to 60fps.                             

Reselling of games will most likely happen with 'goty' editions. Like the LToU remaster that included the DLC included. So re-releases of these particular PS4 games (that do not have an SKU with all content together) I think will definitely happen. Otherwise the games will just be patched. Reselling the same game with the patch makes little sense when you can just get a cheaper PS4 copy with a patch.

Munn75 said:
I think it will be great to get 60 FPS/4K for many of the classic PS4 games. I also hope to see some remakes of PS3 era games like the original Uncharted. Remasters are ok but full remakes with new assets would be so much better.

Nah, I am not sure why anyone would want remakes of PS3 games tbqh. Of PSP or Vita games, sure. UC Golden Abyss redone on the Lost Legacy engine (at the very least) with changes made to setpieces etc to make a better overall experience, sounds a lot more exciting to me than just redoing UC1-3. 

So I would prefer the resources/ money was spent remaking pre-PS3 games or their handheld games, or just making new games. 

GOTY editions sell a small portion of what the original version sold, while the remakes/remasters sold on par with the originals (TLOU remaster even outsold TLOU original). So I don't think Sony will choose the option that makes less money unless they get cornered into it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

GOTY editions sell a small portion of what the original version sold, while the remakes/remasters sold on par with the originals (TLOU remaster even outsold TLOU original). So I don't think Sony will choose the option that makes less money unless they get cornered into it.

So you will just ignore that TloU released at the end of PS3s relevancy, got a enhanced port for a strong selling PS4 a year later which included the Left Behind DLC, and that PS3 games dont run on the PS4? The latter part especially is incredibly important.

In my comment I am seeing GOTY editions and remasters as one in the same thing. The difference, is that I doubt you see a remaster of something like God of War, which offers zero new content post its original launch. In this way a remaster seems superfluous if we assume PS5 will be running PS4 content and that patches will be made available for existing games. Unless of course said patch is a paid upgrade.

TLoU remaster is exactly an example of what I am talking about. The remaster is on PS4 is essentially a GOTY edition since it includes all the content. It is not just base TloU with players needing to pay for the Left Behind DLC on top of the game purchase.

If PS5 is going to play PS4 games then what exactly is the point of a remaster that offers nothing new besides a visual upgrade that might be offered for free in the first place? I am confident that TloU2 will probably get a remaster but that is if it gets story DLC. Then its re-release with all content will just be a PS5 only SKU and at least makes sense. But after UC4 I think ND might go the route of not doing story DLC and instead just doing a smaller sized game with story related to the main campaign. So a PS5 GOTY remaster that includes both the base game and the secondary game (something like UC4 and LL combined in one package).

Anyhow, so I dont disagree that it will happen, but I disagree that it will happen for games that just dont need it. a budget GoW re-release only on PS5? Yeah, maybe that works. PS Essentials/ hits label without the label attached. But what is the point?

Nope. You seem to be ignoring it yourself. Those reasons are what would make it more likely for Sony to launch remasters/ports of the higher selling games on PS5 instead of giving free BC and hoping to sell GOTY editions. It isn't even nearly the same effect in sales. If it was, Sony wouldn't be doing all the remasters and doing this route. They can do it because they are in a position of power and market leadership. If they needed to gain market favor them they could go the less profitable route with free BC.

SO I'll repeat myself. Sony doesn't have any incentive to get free-BC on PS5 (even more considering they saying that there is low use, coming from a company that put full BC in PS2 and PS3) when they profit much more from re-releases. So even if PS5 could get BC very easily they will rather make a very easily port, with less downgraded assets (already made for original game). The infamous patent for the easier upscalling is more likely to be used to make remasters cheapers to make than they just giving it away.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

vivster said:
GOWTLOZ said:

PS5 will be hugely more powerful than PS4 Pro and 4K 30fps would be a minor improvement over the Pro. Anything below 4K 60fps is not worth considering as an upgrade.

Not so bold prediction: The PS5 will not be able to play every game in native 4k60 and people will still buy it in droves.

PS4 games at 4K 60 fps would be no problem.

DonFerrari said:

Nope. You seem to be ignoring it yourself. Those reasons are what would make it more likely for Sony to launch remasters/ports of the higher selling games on PS5 instead of giving free BC and hoping to sell GOTY editions. It isn't even nearly the same effect in sales. If it was, Sony wouldn't be doing all the remasters and doing this route. They can do it because they are in a position of power and market leadership. If they needed to gain market favor them they could go the less profitable route with free BC.

SO I'll repeat myself. Sony doesn't have any incentive to get free-BC on PS5 (even more considering they saying that there is low use, coming from a company that put full BC in PS2 and PS3) when they profit much more from re-releases. So even if PS5 could get BC very easily they will rather make a very easily port, with less downgraded assets (already made for original game). The infamous patent for the easier upscalling is more likely to be used to make remasters cheapers to make than they just giving it away.

There is not a chance on  earth that the PS5 doesnt have native BC with the PS4. Not a a chance at all.

It will be platform suicide by sony. Especially considering how big digital distribution has become now. How does sony explain t the 100M people that would have owned the PS4 that their PS4 games cant work on the PS5 all the while the next XB is running XB1 games.

Make no mistake. PS5 will support full native BC the very same way the PS2 supported "improved" BC with the PS1. We will see far fewer remasters next gen and mre "remakes".  The "remaster" will be a natural by product of just having a much more powerful X86 hardware (which the PS4 also is so by default that already means native support). If we are lucky we may et some patches for a few older titles adding in 4k textures and stuff. Highly unlikely though.

GOWTLOZ said:
vivster said:

Not so bold prediction: The PS5 will not be able to play every game in native 4k60 and people will still buy it in droves.

PS4 games at 4K 60 fps would be no problem.

The PS4 can't even play every game at 1080p60.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony aren't going to have a PS5 that is not compatible with PS4. It is absurd that you think in this current climate that they wouldn't. Perhaps, the patches to upgrade the games (beyond whatever the PS5 will naturally do, kinda of like PS4P boost mode) will come with a cost, but Sony aren't going to clamp down on what is essentially making them the bulk of their profits: digital content from games, subscriptions and micro-transactions of any game. PS4 BC on PS5 pretty much gifts Sony next gen. They know it. Even MS knows it hence their moves to bolster GamePass and their game studios base.  

As I said before, BC and remasters can coexist. One doesn't negate the other. 

Sony certainly knows what is possible and what can be done, and it exactly seems like Sony isn't interested in doing it.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

There is not a chance on  earth that the PS5 doesnt have native BC with the PS4. Not a a chance at all.

It will be platform suicide by sony. Especially considering how big digital distribution has become now. How does sony explain t the 100M people that would have owned the PS4 that their PS4 games cant work on the PS5 all the while the next XB is running XB1 games.

Make no mistake. PS5 will support full native BC the very same way the PS2 supported "improved" BC with the PS1. We will see far fewer remasters next gen and mre "remakes".  The "remaster" will be a natural by product of just having a much more powerful X86 hardware (which the PS4 also is so by default that already means native support). If we are lucky we may et some patches for a few older titles adding in 4k textures and stuff. Highly unlikely though.

How would they explain it? They removed BC on PS3 with 0 backlash, didn't put BC on PS4 and had no hurdle, MS put BC on X1 and it didn't even move the needle.

You'll have to justify the extra profit Sony would do with BC or how much you can accertain it would lose without BC. Because all I see is you and others wanting they to put a feature for free that would remove revenue from double dipping.

Doesn't seem something as certain as you like to think.