By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 exclusives should get a 4K 60 with high resolution assets update next gen Update: Confirmed

PlayStation exclusives have a massive fanbase these days and are definitely selling PlayStation consoles. Sony's exclusives on PS4 were particularly appealing to the masses and they routinely made records in sales. Sony games on PS2 barely sold 5 million if they were not Gran Turismo. On PS3 Uncharted and The Last of Us as well as LBP and God of War 3 sold over 5 million while Gran Turismo declined in sales and since 6 hasn't sold 10 million like it used to but overall Sony exclusives became more popular.

PlayStation this gen has made amazing strides in making its IPs more mainstream. They have multiple 10 million sellers this gen, Uncharted 4 is already above 10 million sold, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and  Spiderman will follow and The Last of Us Part 2 is likely to do so. They have got good public relations except for backwards compatibility which will could be leveraged as a seller for PS5. People already own these games in the tens of millions. Free 4K 60 fps patch with high resolution textures and assets will make them see PS5 as a better value for money and they will buy it. PS5 doesn't just need backwards compatibility but should be the best place to play exclusives on PS4.

UPDATE: Its pretty much confirmed by a Sony patent.

"Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it," the patent explains. "The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers.

"The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-07-sony-patent-sparks-playstation-5-backwards-compatibility-rumours-again

Last edited by GOWTLOZ - on 21 December 2018

Around the Network

The games have sold a ton already though. How many people are going to buy them again, just a few years later? I certainly wouldn't.

With that said, maybe I would be enticed to pick up some that I skipped.

It think at the very least you should expect native 4k and a stable framerate on all games that support a PS4pro now. As for 60fps thats another matter.

GOWTLOZ said:

PlayStation exclusives have a massive fanbase these days and are definitely selling PlayStation consoles. Sony's exclusives on PS4 were particularly appealing to the masses and they routinely made records in sales. Sony games on PS2 barely sold 5 million if they were not Gran Turismo. On PS3 Uncharted and The Last of Us as well as LBP and God of War 3 sold over 5 million while Gran Turismo declined in sales and since 6 hasn't sold 10 million like it used to but overall Sony exclusives became more popular.

PlayStation this gen has made amazing strides in making its IPs more mainstream. They have multiple 10 million sellers this gen, Uncharted 4 is already above 10 million sold, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and  Spiderman will follow and The Last of Us Part 2 is likely to do so. They have got good public relations except for backwards compatibility which will could be leveraged as a seller for PS5. People already own these games in the tens of millions. Free 4K 60 fps patch with high resolution textures and assets will make them see PS5 as a better value for money and they will buy it. PS5 doesn't just need backwards compatibility but should be the best place to play exclusives on PS4.

and what incentive do developers have to go back to old games and create new 4k assets for them?

that's a ridiculous, unreasonable request (demand?) to have.

let them focus on new games

I think it is a unique idea that stems from the fact that PS4 BC will most likely not be emulation, because of the consistent chip architecture. I don't expect many devs to make new assets for PS4 games, but I do think it's entirely possible to make PS5 patches to up performance of the already available PS4pro patches.

Around the Network

I think there will be a 30/60 switch mode as standard next on PS5. It makes it much easier for VR to be functional for every game. That would make VR hit mainstream once PSVR 2 hits the right price point.

They very likely will. The BC pressure has built up pretty heavily on Sony as of late, and with PS5 more than likely continuing to use x86 architecture, there’s little to no reason for PS5 to not fully support the PS4 library out the gate. Plus, Sony seems very adamant on FC with the Pro, and several PS5 patents suggest they’re doubling down on that next gen. I imagine most, if not all the AAA titles were seeing right now will be able to run at native 4K/ 60 on PS5

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

VAMatt said:
The games have sold a ton already though. How many people are going to buy them again, just a few years later? I certainly wouldn't.

With that said, maybe I would be enticed to pick up some that I skipped.

Assumption I made here was PS5 will have backwards compatibility. These games would get the patch like PS4 games did for the Pro.

Intrinsic said:
It think at the very least you should expect native 4k and a stable framerate on all games that support a PS4pro now. As for 60fps thats another matter.

A native 4K at 30 fps for PS4 games would be a minor improvement over PS4 Pro. Reports suggest PS5 will have 11 TF GPU and Ryzen 5 CPU which will be a massive boost over Pro, more than Pro was over base PS4 and it still ran base PS4 games which were 1080p 30 fps at 1800p and checkerboard 4K and some at 60 fps like Infamous Second Son. 4K 60 fps should be inevitable for current gen games.

setsunatenshi said:
GOWTLOZ said:

and what incentive do developers have to go back to old games and create new 4k assets for them?

that's a ridiculous, unreasonable request (demand?) to have.

let them focus on new games

They are Sony first party developers. Sony has the incentive that it will make PS5 an enticing product to PS4 owners who already have these games and will be able to play them at higher resolutions and framerates which is important to many people.

It also makes it more enticing to PC gamers because PS5 will lack exclusives early gen and many of them don't have PS4 because these PS4 exclusives are 30 fps. 4K 60 fps for these exclusives would make many of them buy a PS5 moreso because they have been hearing that PS4 exclusives are amazing from players and reviewers and it will finally be playable at a standard they have set for their games to be played.

Well, it should be able to have everything on native 4k and 30 fps as the lowest option. People want some use out of their 4K TVs. The thing with the high quality assets is gonna be very interesting though. I predict lots of gigantic optional patches for future console games because you won't find those on the disc.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I would say there is a 99% chance that Microsoft will do this with their exclusives on XB4. If MS does it at launch and Sony doesn't, this could easily become a thorn i the side of PS5 that allows Xbox to build an early advantage. It is definitely in Sony's best interest to make sure, at least, Uncharted, TLOU, Gran Turismo, GOW, and Horizon get some special attention for launch. Standard B/C on all titles is a must.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL