By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Civilization VI on the Switch is a dream come true.

RingoGaSuki said:

I've just finished my first game on the Switch (~300 turns) and it runs like a dream. The game really feels like it was meant to be on the Switch from the start. It looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, controls incredibly well (the touchscreen is best of course, but with buttons on the big screen as well, the controls are very easy to get used to and not cumbersome at all). 

The first review is very positive as well, a 94/100 from IGN.

This was my most desired game as soon as the Switch was revealed; I'm so happy it actually turned out well.

Anybody else picked it up?

I got my preorder yesterday (Amazon jumped the gun) and tried a little (not playing a full game). It's long since I played Civilization, it may well be that I only played the first. At least only the first I played longer. Anyways, it was pretty hard for me to control it fine. After I figured out most stuff, I realised there was also a Tutorial option which I didn't see (wasn't in the single-player sub-menu but it's own main entry).

They actually made some good things with the gameplay since the first entry. Although I had a little problems at first, after some time I mapped things to the similar things in the first game and it fell into place. But yeah, things like a separate culture development tree different from the science tree (in the first stuff like democracy was in the science tree), builders as extra unit with limited uses (in the first game settlers made this stuff and never got away) and some stuff like this are improvements.

There are a few small flaws, nothing serious but annoying. So the options are selected by icons, but the icons aren't understandable at first (one of my reason for confusion at first). I had to try each option to check what it does. A small help-text after selecting the option would help immensely. And the loading times are annoying. Not in the game itself, but before the game starts it takes eons.

But the game itself plays well and over the weekend I will play a full game. I have to seriously applaud the controls here. Selecting hexes with the left stick and moving the view around with the right stick works extremely well (I only played with Pro Controller). I don't know why they were hesitant to bring it to console, because this mapping works very well for classic controllers, no motion control or touch controls needed.

Barkley said:
I may get it, the lack of online multiplayer is really dumb, but I'll only be using the Switch version for singleplayer anyway if I get it.

I have a multiplayer option in the menu, although I didn't try it. And I probably need to link my 2K-account.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I never played a Civ game. Which is weird because it’s right up my alley. Or it should be at least. Is this retail? Maybe I’ll get it. But I also still want Diablo III and I recently bought Dark Souls which I haven’t opened yet. Who would have thought there’d be so many 3rd party games to play on a Nintendo system.

Mnementh said:

Barkley said:
I may get it, the lack of online multiplayer is really dumb, but I'll only be using the Switch version for singleplayer anyway if I get it.

I have a multiplayer option in the menu, although I didn't try it. And I probably need to link my 2K-account.

It has local wireless multiplayer for up to 4 players, just not online. Same as the IPAD version it's based on.

It's really neat to have a full Civ on a console. When was the last time we saw that, Civ 2 on PSX?

But on the other hand, I don't like Civ 6 too much. I'm still playing Civ 5, because it's better in almost every aspect if you ask me. I'm thinking about getting this. But honestly, I would have been happier if they had just ported Civ 5 over.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Barkley said:
Mnementh said:

It has local wireless multiplayer for up to 4 players, just not online. Same as the IPAD version it's based on.

Hmm, okay. Good thing that local multiplayer exists, but strange indeed to leave out the online. Then why can I link a 2K-account to the game? Which function does that have without online multiplayer?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Barkley said:

Hmm, okay. Good thing that local multiplayer exists, but strange indeed to leave out the online. Then why can I link a 2K-account to the game? Which function does that have without online multiplayer?

Google tells me you can use a 2k account for cloud saving on PC, so maybe same on Switch.

Barkley said:
Mnementh said:

Google tells me you can use a 2k account for cloud saving on PC, so maybe same on Switch.

Eugh, boring. OK, it makes sense if you have the game for multiple devices and want to continue your session you started on Switch on your iPad. But for me it makes no sense to link this account then. Thanks for the info.

I'm going to be getting this for sure.  Civilization on the SNES is what got me into the series originally.  My brother and I played countless hours on it.  Later I got into the PC games and expansions (Civ II + Test of Time, & Fantastic Worlds, Civ III, Civ IV + Colonization, etc.), and even played "Revolution" on DS & Xbox 360.  I'm very excited about getting this one, and am very happy to hear the positive reviews on it.  I always thought Turn Based Strategy games would have been a no brainer to bring over from PC to WiiU.  It's good to see it finally happening with the Switch at least.  

I'm waiting for a pricedrop, too many games on stand by already.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Didn't even know it was coming to Switch. Will have to check it out.