By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

a) Fight the most enemies ever in this series, with this version also in HD.
b) After I defeat you, I make a hat out of you!

a) A fairytale told in watercolors.
b) Will someone please explain how water falls with no rain?

33.  Super Mario Odyssey?
32.  Valkyria Chronicles?

Hehe, it's funny how wrong you are. In Super Mario Odyssey you don't make hats out of your enemies, you put hats onto them. And for #32 was Okami kinda closer, the game is not a strategy game, but more of an adventure. Interesting though, like no one pays attention to the second hint for #32, although that hint is pretty telling.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
(Change YoY: -3)

The first Uncharted game was still a somewhat unpolished experience, with elements of what would eventually make the series great already in place, just not yet fully realized. Uncharted 2 had no such issues, improving on its predecessor on practically every conceivable level. The gameplay was tighter and more fun, the story was better written and more interesting, the puzzles had more variety and were in general better designed, the set pieces vastly more breathtaking, and graphically the game was the most beautiful console title released up to that point.

Among Thieves set the benchmark for cinematic action-adventure games for years to come, and only a select few titles have managed to even equal what it did almost ten years ago. 

mZuzek said:
mZuzek said:

Only one of these three cities have reappeared in another game in this franchise.

It's one of the all-time best selling video game franchises.

Also,
#37 - The only proper direct sequel this franchise has.
#36 - It's kinda like Smash Bros. now in a way, but it didn't use to be.
#35 - This fangame's creator is now working for an indie developer on a game releasing next year.

By the way, sorry for not updating the thread for a couple days. I've been hard at work on some other stuff here and it's been hard to pay attention to anything else. Sign ups are now closed, by the way.

37.  Kingdom Hearts 2

35.  Sonic Mania

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

33.  Super Mario Odyssey?
32.  Valkyria Chronicles?

Hehe, it's funny how wrong you are. In Super Mario Odyssey you don't make hats out of your enemies, you put hats onto them. And for #32 was Okami kinda closer, the game is not a strategy game, but more of an adventure. Interesting though, like no one pays attention to the second hint for #32, although that hint is pretty telling.

There is a good chance I haven't played either of these games.  Now I did play Mario Odyssey, but the game didn't stick with me at all.  I couldn't remember if the enemies turned into hats or not after you beat them, heh.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

There is a good chance I haven't played either of these games.  Now I did play Mario Odyssey, but the game didn't stick with me at all.  I couldn't remember if the enemies turned into hats or not after you beat them, heh.

There is a chance. And I didn't play SMO at all. I was going after the trailers, that showed that you throw the hat at the enemies and then somehow beam into them.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Flilix said:
More hints.

- mZuzek can't stop talking about how much he loves this game
- 4 (+1) islands
- Get in the bag
- Players can participate in Global Missions

- Fighting game based on a cartoon
- This N64 game got ported to PC two years later

- This game kept on selling years after its release

34: Mario Kart Wii

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Flilix said:
More hints.

- mZuzek can't stop talking about how much he loves this game
- 4 (+1) islands
- Get in the bag
- Players can participate in Global Missions

- Fighting game based on a cartoon
- This N64 game got ported to PC two years later

- This game kept on selling years after its release

34: Mario Kart Wii

Correct!

#35 Resident Evil
guessed by S.Peelman
platform Wii
release year 1996
developer/publisher Capcom
genre survival horror
links Wikipedia
last year  #28

Yeah, this is the original Resident Evil. OK, at least the remake for the Gamecube which in turn was ported for the Wii. As Wii was my first real console (I played a bit on the Dreamcast of a friend before), this is my first contact the original Resident Evil.

And yes, I played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. I did it first. In fact I liked RE4 so much, I bought every Resident Evil on the system, the rail-shooters Umbrealla Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, and the remakes of Zero and the original. But this original was what really got me. This was in the best sense of the word survival horror. I felt the fear for their lives the characters had to have. Every corner brought new possible dangers. And every time I started to feel somewhat safe in one area of the game, felt like I found and eliminated all dangers, the game pulled the rug from under my feet. That is survival horror as it has to be.

While RE:Revelations is kinda scary in parts and feels challenging and dangerous at times, it does not permeate the feel of fight for the bare survival like the original does. Revelations has other qualities though that make it a great game of it's own. Other RE games had this feeling even less. But this first game, the starting point of it all, that was pure fight for survival. And it was a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s49FPBRsC7c

OK, more hints.

a) As first rumours leaked about this mashup of two franchises, nobody thought that could work well together.
Guessed by Barkley: Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

a) Fight the most enemies ever in this series, with this version also in HD.
b) After I defeat you, I make a hat out of you!
c) This is the HD-console port of a handheld game, which itself is an extended version.

a) A fairytale told in watercolors.
b) Will someone please explain how water falls with no rain?
c) He's a one-of-a-kind, mint-hunting, flying pig. An' I own him, he wears my mark.

a) Grow helpers.
Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pikmin

a) Return to this place with graphics this time.
Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Return to Zork

Last edited by Mnementh - on 26 November 2018

The Operative: No One Lives Forever

• Windows PC
  • First Person Shooter
  • Monolith Productions/Fox Interactive

Of the shooters on my list, 'The Operative: No One Lives Forever' is probably the most recognizable, but also the least well known. Taking an obvious inspiration from the 1960's James Bond movies, it follows the mission of Agent Cate Archer in taking down an evil crime lord who wants nothing else than subdue the world using the most complicated schemes possible.

Like any good '60s spy-story, this evil crime lord has a host of henchmen with exaggerated personalities that try to thwart the player every once in a while. Besides cliche characters, every cliche location is present as well. Of course, the private plane and evil lairs, the scuba diving, a space station or alpine chases can't be absent. The game combines all those elements in a lighthearted yet engaging story and it remains conscious of it's choice to be this cliche. It's so bad, it's funny.

I don't remember how, why or when I first played this game, I just know it made a place for itself among the greats. Being a unique game like this can do this easier than a 'safer' game could for me. There was a sequel which boasted impressive graphics for it's time and a continuation of the storyline with new characters and locations just as perfectly cliched as those in this game. It is hard to pick one for the list though, and I didn't want to include both. Like with some other series with a similar dilemma, the novelty factor wins out.

#35: This game runs from 270 to 14.