Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Physical Media for Next Gen?

Will game consoles stop using physical media next gen?

Yes 9 8.11%

No 102 91.89%

Total:111

Next gen seems like the last true physical media gen, after that will be all digital, thats how i see it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Probably not. Luckily, because if publishers don’t want me to buy and own a game, I guess I won’t be buying and owning games then.

We are already, technically, not exactly owning our games. So many games nowadays require online connectivity, be it only for a day one patch, that our "ownership" over them is reliant on how long developers wants it to be.

Not a chance in hell but I think we will see near a 50 percent split in digital to physical fairly early on and getting a majority mid way through. Not sure what that means for retailers.

China Numba wan!!

Pretty sure people said physical music would be dead years ago. They still sell CDs though...

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

VAMatt said:
No chance for next gen. There are still a ton of people in the world with the money to buy games but without internet service that will allow for downloading of giant games in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, after the backlash MS got when they even dared to touch on the idea before release of XB1, I think we're still several years away from anybody having the balls to suggest this.

With that said, I could see a scenario mentioned above where some editions of consoles without a physical media drive are available.

How long before pretty much everyone has internet service for downloading giant games in a reasonable amount of time?

GribbleGrunger said:
I hit 'Yes' by mistake. No.

Is there a way for moderators can get into the poll and change individual votes to correct this?

Conina said:
Barkley said:
It will still be here, it's going to take a lot longer for physical to go completely. Digital is at what... 35% now? When it's at 85%+ then we can talk about physical disappearing. Though you might start getting some specific games going the digital only route sometime next-gen.

Sometime next-gen? The majority of game releases are already digital only.

Most of those small indie games in the $5 - $25 price range are only available as download (or in very limited physical editions with a hefty mark-up only some collectors pay).

But what about massive games like Breath of The Wild or Spider-Man PS4?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
S.Peelman said:
Probably not. Luckily, because if publishers don’t want me to buy and own a game, I guess I won’t be buying and owning games then.

How dare publishers want more money for the game they published! Ergghhh! 

Are you being sarcastic?

John2290 said:
Not a chance in hell but I think we will see near a 50 percent split in digital to physical fairly early on and getting a majority mid way through. Not sure what that means for retailers.

They could still sell game hardware and controllers though, right?

Ka-pi96 said:
Pretty sure people said physical music would be dead years ago. They still sell CDs though...

And record players have made a shocking comeback.

Around the Network

i dont think physical games will be gone for at least another 15 years. they still sell so much. also a lot of people still want them. i really dont ever want them to go honestly because i prefer physical, and also when there is physical media the prices on digital drops in the long run due to the competition. but if you only get your games from one store which is the online store, then prices will drop a lot less.

Ka-pi96 said:

yea, in the future games might come on USB sticks or sth for the physical collectors, as I doubt PS6 gen will have an optical drive

bananaking21 said:
i dont think physical games will be gone for at least another 15 years. they still sell so much. also a lot of people still want them. i really dont ever want them to go honestly because i prefer physical, and also when there is physical media the prices on digital drops in the long run due to the competition. but if you only get your games from one store which is the online store, then prices will drop a lot less.

So digital game prices won't go down unless we buy less digital games?

Lafiel said:
Ka-pi96 said:

yea, in the future games might come on USB sticks or sth for the physical collectors, as I doubt PS6 gen will have an optical drive

Never thought of selling games on USB sticks. What does sth mean?

Lafiel said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I think this is very possible in the future.  Optical drives are big, and have a lot of moving parts that are prone to problems.  But, right now, disks are a lot cheaper to produce than flash memory (and the like).  That will change at some point.

bananaking21 said:

Absolutely one of my biggest fears about a digital-only future

Nothing to see here, move along