By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Physical Media for Next Gen?

Will game consoles stop using physical media next gen?

Yes 9 8.11%

No 102 91.89%

Total:111

I think by the end of next gen it wont look good for physical media :(

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

No chance, but it’s possible there will be different versions of consoles...with and a cheaper one without a disk drive.

Game sizes will regularly be over 100GB, so it’s highly unlikely they’ll drop discs completely, since there are way too many cases where people would have problems because of that, be it data caps or download speeds.

They will come with phys media, but the fact you still need to install the game no matter you buy it physically or not, will push more and more people to buying digital games only on consoles.

It will still be here, it's going to take a lot longer for physical to go completely. Digital is at what... 35% now? When it's at 85%+ then we can talk about physical disappearing. Though you might start getting some specific games going the digital only route sometime next-gen.

CaptainExplosion said:
Madword said:
I think by the end of next gen it wont look good for physical media :(

Despite all the huge physical sales of current games like Super Mario Odyssey and the new God of War?

Yes, in 7 years time... yeah I think so, its already happening with titles not even getting a disk release over in the UK, it'll only get worse

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

I really hope not, if it does i will stop buying games day one until they are at a price-level that is acceptable. Not paying $60+ for a digital-file i have no control over

No chance for next gen. There are still a ton of people in the world with the money to buy games but without internet service that will allow for downloading of giant games in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, after the backlash MS got when they even dared to touch on the idea before release of XB1, I think we're still several years away from anybody having the balls to suggest this.

With that said, I could see a scenario mentioned above where some editions of consoles without a physical media drive are available.

I hit 'Yes' by mistake. No.

The PS5 Exists. 

Probably not. Luckily, because if publishers don’t want me to buy and own a game, I guess I won’t be buying and owning games then.

No. but i don't care at this point if it will. I have not bought a game in ages that game with a proper coloured game manual and book. Even those special edition releases now days don't have the complete package.