By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Physical Media for Next Gen?

Will game consoles stop using physical media next gen?

Yes 9 8.11%

No 102 91.89%

Total:111

we have about 20 logical arguments for getting rid of physical media but we decide to keep it around for nostalgic purposes. the time has come to ditch it

Around the Network
Barkley said:
It will still be here, it's going to take a lot longer for physical to go completely. Digital is at what... 35% now? When it's at 85%+ then we can talk about physical disappearing. Though you might start getting some specific games going the digital only route sometime next-gen.

Sometime next-gen? The majority of game releases are already digital only.

Most of those small indie games in the $5 - $25 price range are only available as download (or in very limited physical editions with a hefty mark-up only some collectors pay).

It will be retained for next gen...
Backwards compatibility, multimedia are two big reasons for it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Conina said:
Barkley said:
It will still be here, it's going to take a lot longer for physical to go completely. Digital is at what... 35% now? When it's at 85%+ then we can talk about physical disappearing. Though you might start getting some specific games going the digital only route sometime next-gen.

Sometime next-gen? The majority of game releases are already digital only.

Most of those small indie games in the $5 - $25 price range are only available as download (or in very limited physical editions with a hefty mark-up only some collectors pay).

That's not what I meant. By certain specific games I meant the occasional AAA game, as in by mid to late next-gen we could see some (not all) releases by publishers like Ubisoft/EA/Activision being digital only. Such as a destiny 3, Rainbow Six, etc.

I think there will always be a place for physical media, but in time it might reduce to be a niche like records are in the music space

Around the Network

Next generation will probably be physical media's last hurrah. It's only a matter of time until console manufacturers will deem it a waste of resources to deal with.

S.Peelman said:
Probably not. Luckily, because if publishers don’t want me to buy and own a game, I guess I won’t be buying and owning games then.

How dare publishers want more money for the game they published! Ergghhh! 

Next gen seems like the last true physical media gen, after that will be all digital, thats how i see it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

S.Peelman said:
Probably not. Luckily, because if publishers don’t want me to buy and own a game, I guess I won’t be buying and owning games then.

We are already, technically, not exactly owning our games. So many games nowadays require online connectivity, be it only for a day one patch, that our "ownership" over them is reliant on how long developers wants it to be.

i dont think physical games will be gone for at least another 15 years. they still sell so much. also a lot of people still want them. i really dont ever want them to go honestly because i prefer physical, and also when there is physical media the prices on digital drops in the long run due to the competition. but if you only get your games from one store which is the online store, then prices will drop a lot less.