By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony disappointing service: time to change my lead platform?

Yes, playstation regional locks can be very annoying. When I bought my PS3 in 2012 and started making my account and turned out that my country (Latvia) wasn't on their list, so I chose to register as USA account. At first I thought I made the right decision because USA has a bit better digital deals, but later I learned that digital DLC doesn't work with my physical 'european' games. They actually refunded the 5 bucks that I had spent on a DLC lol but I have a bunch of physical games that I would like to buy digital DLC for but I can't.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I've not encountered and regional matchmaking. I use my JP account exclusively and am still almost always against Europeans online.

But yeah, microtransactions are definitely region locked. I found that out last year when I bought FIFA from the HK store. Although I guess not being able to spend money on microtransactions isn't that bad of a thing really.

Some DLC can be funny about that as well. It's not always a region issue though, some stuff is just tied to the PSN account you bought it on and can only be used on that account.

But how do you expect to play Uncharted 4 multiplayer on another platform?
I'm pretty sure you buy PlayStation to play the games it gets, if you are to switch to another platform because of a problem you had on a game service, well, will it be worth letting go of all the games PS gets for that?
If you are okay with that, go ahead and get another system.
Be sure to know that if you sell your PS4 and/or avoid the PS5 in favor of another platform you'll be missing a lot, make sure you are really ok with it bro.

BraLoD said:
I'm pretty sure you buy PlayStation to play the games it gets, if you are to switch to another platform because of a problem you had on a game service, well, will it be worth letting go of all the games PS gets for that?
Be sure to know that if you sell your PS4 and/or avoid the PS5 in favor of another platform you'll be missing a lot, make sure you are really ok with it bro.

Thanks! But like I said in a previous post, I'm talking about lead platform. So my priority in term of investment and multiplatform games. I'll keep the PS4 anyway and will surely buy the PS5 one day, but depending on stuff like censorship I might invest in a Switch or my PC in priority. I usually own 15+ PS games by generation, for around 3 Nintendo games and 3 PC games, I'm thinking about changing the ratio. I don't want to buy censored games, and buying multiplayer games on Playstation could be risky because I might go back to France one day and lose my progress again...

I am a big fan of Sony and their exclusive games, but their "policies" and their evolution are really disappointing.

Faelco said:
JRPGfan said:

So you really like Uncharted multiplayer.... and your issue is if your useing a european account, you get matched with europeans, even when your liveing abroad.

1) Do you know if Nintendo or MS does this differntly? becasue they probably dont.
2) How will you enjoy Uncharted multiplayer, if you switch platforms?

also the problem:
"I lost all of my unlocked content, even everything I bought for real money. Which I understand, because it's another account."

Its understandable, its a differnt account.
Okay you seem fine with it, and understand it.... then why would you jump platforms because of it?

I said "lead platform", doesn't mean that I will stop playing PS games, just that I can wait a long time before buying the PS5, and start playing multiplatform games on other platforms instead of Playstation. And I'm asking to other fans how it's handled elsewhere, because if I remember correctly Nintendo did it better on the Switch (it's a non-issue on PC usually).

And it's not about the issue itself, it's about the support. "Yeah, we offered you to buy online currency that you can't use. Too bad, you just have to buy the game again on your new country, and you'll surely have to buy the currency again because you didn't buy it on the right game". That's a crappy policy, associated to a lackluster regions management. Losing everything because I moved is already annoying, having absolutely no support at all is even worse. Add that to the worrying new censorship policy, and you can understand why I'm at least thinking about other options for my future purchases.

Are you planning on moveing again to the other side of the world anytime soon?
If not shouldnt really be a issue.

Around the Network
Faelco said:

Thanks! But like I said in a previous post, I'm talking about lead platform. So my priority in term of investment and multiplatform games. I'll keep the PS4 anyway and will surely buy the PS5 one day, but depending on stuff like censorship I might invest in a Switch or my PC in priority.

ROFL!  Turning to a Nintendo platform to avoid censorship?

Yeah, that will work out in the long run, even if some indie games manage to slip through the cracks due to the overload of Switch ports right now.

That sounds like pretty terrible customer service I agree, but sadly I don't think this issue is all that common (someone buying their games in one region and then moving to another region for a long period of time) and I doubt there is already protocol established for it. I will say that locking microtransaction points to a region is really damn stupid, but I imagine there is good reason for it. Quick example being that perhaps there is a new launch in another region and as a result there's a big sale on a MTX currency hoping to get the new players hooked. If the stuff wasn't region locked then a veteran player could use their same account and buy up the currency on the new launch region and then apply it to their veteran account.

For your situation it definitely sucks. I wouldn't be very happy either.

JRPGfan said:

So you really like Uncharted multiplayer.... and your issue is if your useing a european account, you get matched with europeans, even when your liveing abroad.

1) Do you know if Nintendo or MS does this differntly? becasue they probably dont.
2) How will you enjoy Uncharted multiplayer, if you switch platforms?

also the problem:
"I lost all of my unlocked content, even everything I bought for real money. Which I understand, because it's another account."

Its understandable, its a differnt account.
Okay you seem fine with it, and understand it.... then why would you jump platforms because of it?

MS certainly doesn't do the same. I use an American account I set up back on 360, when I was living in the states. Always play on European servers since moving back to Germany, unless I specifically join a friend hosting on a US server.

Conina said:
Faelco said:

Thanks! But like I said in a previous post, I'm talking about lead platform. So my priority in term of investment and multiplatform games. I'll keep the PS4 anyway and will surely buy the PS5 one day, but depending on stuff like censorship I might invest in a Switch or my PC in priority.

ROFL!  Turning to a Nintendo platform to avoid censorship?

Yeah, that will work out in the long run, even if some indie games manage to slip through the cracks due to the overload of Switch ports right now.

The new Sony policy is way worse than Nintendo. It's weird, sure, but Nintendo became the good guy compared to Sony in terms of censorship. And Nintendo doesn't ask Japanese developers to defend their game in English even for a Japan only release. But PC is obviously even better.

Megiddo said: 

That sounds like pretty terrible customer service I agree, but sadly I don't think this issue is all that common (someone buying their games in one region and then moving to another region for a long period of time) and I doubt there is already protocol established for it. I will say that locking microtransaction points to a region is really damn stupid, but I imagine there is good reason for it. Quick example being that perhaps there is a new launch in another region and as a result there's a big sale on a MTX currency hoping to get the new players hooked. If the stuff wasn't region locked then a veteran player could use their same account and buy up the currency on the new launch region and then apply it to their veteran account.

For your situation it definitely sucks. I wouldn't be very happy either.

It's way worse than the situation you described. I have another account, Japanese one, and I bought currency on this local account. But I can't use it because I bought my physical game when I was in Europe. No reason to forbid that, you can't cheat since the currency can't be transferred to my EU account.

Faelco said:
BraLoD said:

Thanks! But like I said in a previous post, I'm talking about lead platform. So my priority in term of investment and multiplatform games. I'll keep the PS4 anyway and will surely buy the PS5 one day, but depending on stuff like censorship I might invest in a Switch or my PC in priority. I usually own 15+ PS games by generation, for around 3 Nintendo games and 3 PC games, I'm thinking about changing the ratio. I don't want to buy censored games, and buying multiplayer games on Playstation could be risky because I might go back to France one day and lose my progress again...

I am a big fan of Sony and their exclusive games, but their "policies" and their evolution are really disappointing.

As far as I' completely against censorship, let the ratting companies take care of what is too far for specific audiences on specific places, do you really play those kind of games for that intent for that to be a problem to you?

As far as I know it's affecting the games we always joked about around here, to the point it stuck on Vita's as the hentai machine.

Again, I'm not defending it in any way but it really doesn't come close of being a problem to games I care about, and you know I preffer japanese games over american/european, mostly

Well, if you are going to keep PS as a side console and can bank another system for multiplats, why not? XBX is more powerful than the Pro, I don't see why couldn't you get multiplats there instead.