By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony disappointing service: time to change my lead platform?

StriderKiwi said:
I'm not sure what you can do about much of that. The Switch is great and bound to have Fire Emblem games on it (while Advance Wars is in eternal limbo) but Nintendo is never great at the whole online, and there's PS/Xbox games that just won't appear on it since it's not nearly as powerful. Speaking of Xbox, nobody buys them in Japan. And there's tons of game that aren't even from Sony that only appear on PS4, and maybe Switch. There's also PC gaming but you'll miss out on a ton of console specific games and if you've been a console only player most of you life, it might not be your thing. A lot of what you described sucks but no clear immediate solutions are evident.

PS5 and Xbox Whatever will be out in like two years or so, so my advice would be just to wait and see how much Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft change by then and what the conosles/exclusives look like and go from there. And maybe buy a Switch in the meanwhile.

Yes, no immediate solution, and even changing the platform isn't a good one, I need to think carefully. But between the latest policies change and the exchange with the support today, I at least needed to vent a little I guess :D

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Acevil said:

Not in this generation, they are doing the opposite of Sony, namely in Japan. They are allowing everything, which is surprising. Action speak louder than words, and right now Nintendo is allowing Japan to be Japan, something Sony isn't.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tech/3936102/nintendos-alleged-censorship-of-games-deemed-too-sexy-or-shocking-for-politically-correct-western-audiences-revealed/amp/

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/kotaku.com/nintendo-censored-panties-in-mahjong-game-art-1827567832/amp

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/kotaku.com/the-english-version-of-fire-emblem-fates-wont-have-the-1755121353/amp

Not saying they are not improving, tho.

The only example you listed there that reflect what I was talking about is the eshop cover art. Since I stated about censorship in Japan not censorship of things coming out of Japan. Which is nothing compared to what Sony is doing in comparisons.

Acevil said:
BraLoD said:

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tech/3936102/nintendos-alleged-censorship-of-games-deemed-too-sexy-or-shocking-for-politically-correct-western-audiences-revealed/amp/

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/kotaku.com/nintendo-censored-panties-in-mahjong-game-art-1827567832/amp

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/kotaku.com/the-english-version-of-fire-emblem-fates-wont-have-the-1755121353/amp

The only example you listed there that reflect what I was talking about is the eshop cover art. Since I stated about censorship in Japan not censorship of things coming out of Japan. Which is nothing compared to what Sony is doing in comparisons.

Yeah, Sony is even delaying the release by pushing small Japanese-only developers to explain everything in English. Because no-one at Sony speaks Japanese. So stupid.

Conina said:
Faelco said:

Thanks! But like I said in a previous post, I'm talking about lead platform. So my priority in term of investment and multiplatform games. I'll keep the PS4 anyway and will surely buy the PS5 one day, but depending on stuff like censorship I might invest in a Switch or my PC in priority.

ROFL!  Turning to a Nintendo platform to avoid censorship?

Yeah, that will work out in the long run, even if some indie games manage to slip through the cracks due to the overload of Switch ports right now.

What? Nintendo only censor games that they own or publish, they also don't censor any game in Japan unlike Sony at the moment

Buying micro-transactions? Yuck.

This is a difficult one because if you've been a Playstation fan a long time, you're probably too used to platform quirks you can't get anywhere else (Naughty Dog games, Japanese exclusives, etc.). Also, I have to ask: How many multiplayer games do you still play on PS4 or play regularly? Because if the answer is only like 3, that wouldn't cover the expense to buy an entirely new platform ... so I fail to see the logic. You could get a Switch but with how the release schedule can sometimes be barren or the game releases niche, I don't think it would become your "main platform". It's a worthy investment, but not on the basis of switching lead platforms or quitting Sony.

Personally I find all platforms disappointing in their own ways, I'm not very attached to one, so when the PS5/Xbox 2 come out it won't be hard for me to change lead platforms if I feel the need to.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Acevil said:

Not in this generation, they are doing the opposite of Sony, namely in Japan. They are allowing everything, which is surprising. Action speak louder than words, and right now Nintendo is allowing Japan to be Japan, something Sony isn't.

Nintendo only censor games that they own or publish, they also don't censor any game in Japan, Fire Emblem is Nintendo IP. Not to mention, Nintendo never censor any game in Japan but Sony? They do more than that, censor JP games in JP, force JP companies to reply everything in English and remove all adult content in every game. That is a completely new level compared to Nintendo in the past

Why so many different fonts in the OP? Seems like you're kinda wishy-washy and you'll probably change your lead platform once more if your font selection is any indication.

super_etecoon said:
Why so many different fonts in the OP? Seems like you're kinda wishy-washy and you'll probably change your lead platform once more if your font selection is any indication.

Didn't change any font. The formatting of the OP was fine when I did it, and I even edited a while later, it was still fine. No idea what happened since then. Instead of attacking me, you could just think about the fact that sometimes OP's formatting has some bugs here.

And it's fine again. I clicked Edit, didn't change anything because everything was fine on the edit screen, validated, and it's back to normal. You're right, I'm very wishy-washy. Any other worthwhile opinion about the subject? 

Well, it's slightly better than when I moved continents. All my PAL games were instantly useless. I had to leave all consoles and games behind as well as my region locked movies. And to play WoW together with my UK friends I had to ship them an American bought physical copy so they could play with us. (or it was Everquest 2, don't remember)

Region locks suck and it's still an issue. There are plenty European movies I would like to import on blu-ray, yet they won't play here. Imported games at least work yet since I never buy DLC and hardly play online I luckily haven't run into this issue. It is rather annoying with GT Sport that I get matched against South Americans with a lot more lag than Europeans. (I'm in Canada) There are also way more Europeans playing than North Americans. (62% of the player base is in Europe, 20% in the Americas) So I'm forced to endure worse match making with more lag. I can make a European account of course, yet that would mean starting over. Plus sine my pro is not my primary console, so it would not work anyway. You can only play online with alt accounts on the primary or you need another ps+ account. (My kids use the primary)

I also ran into an issue with the accounts my kids use for Fortnite. I wanted to give them an allowance to buy the battle pass once yet that was not possible as when I originally created the accounts I used my own birth date. My kids simply started using my alt accounts as their own and you can't change the personal details, which means it can't be a child account, so no sharing. I entered my credit card on their account and deleted it again right after, so much hassle.

When I grew up, you simply had multiple character save slots and played split screen co-op, any expansion would work for all players. This whole account stuff is annoying. I only needed one copy of half-life, Age of Empires and Unreal Tournament to play with 4 players in lan. Now it's tied to accounts everyone needs their own copy.

If customer service is at all important to you, PlayStation probably shouldn't be your main platform.

Sony is smart to put as much money and effort as they do into their 1st party games because without them, they would offer absolutely nothing over the competition.

A PC/Switch Combo (or even an X1X/Switch if you don't like PC) gets you 99%+ of whats already on PlayStation, plus SO much more.