By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony disappointing service: time to change my lead platform?

This reminds me of another thread. :)

Sony are definitly testing the waters with how far they can push anti-consumer practices. I think it is definitly a good time to send a little message their way that this crap is not going to cut it going forward. That is why I recently switched all of my 3rd party gaming and movie purchases to Xbox. I still support Sony 1st party and PSVR, but I'm not going to give them royalties for 3rd party games if they are not going to offer a consumer freindly expereince.

I don't know how to fix the region locking issues. Since very few people deal with this, it is not going to get nlown up on Social Media like Cross Play and PS Now downloads. The best you can do is just take away the funding you provide. If enough people call them out for different reasons, then they will have to change their policies.

Good luck moving forward. I hope you can find a path forward that makes you and these companies better!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

No drm. For the gamers. Excellence awaits.

In hindsight, I appreciate how transparent Ms were with the launch of the xbox one. (thought I still disagree with things they were trying to do, second hand games being one). Even if they back peddled. At least they were upfront and didn't boil you slowly like a lobster while pretending to be your friend.

Hiku said:

I wonder if that differs from game to game? Because I remember Street Fighter 4 being like that. When I moved to Japan a while back, I made a new Jp account to play SF4 online. Not because I assumed matchmaking would be based on the account region, but just so that the people I get matched up with see the Japanese flag and realize where I am.
But then later when I moved back home, I continued to use that Jp account because I had a high rank on it. That's when I noticed that I kept getting matched up against people with a Japanese flag. At first I thought they were like me. Local people, but with a Jp account. But as I kept playing, that did not seem to be the case as they were pretty much always 1 bar connections.

On the other hand, when I used that same Jp account to play Tekken Tag 2, I got really good connections, so I kept using it as my main account. But that's the same company (Bandai Namco) that made Soul Calibur 6, so I'm not sure what to think of that.

Regarding you not getting a refund for your purchase, that's really messed up. Have you tried asking to speak to a manager or some senior employee? Some times you can get completely different outcomes depending on who you talk to. it's possible the person you spoke to didn't quite fully understand your situation, and perhaps thought you could use those items on your Jp account, but that you then wanted to transfer them to your other account, etc.
I would try the refund again, because its seems like an obvious refund situation.

Yes, it seems to depend on each game and the choices made by the developers. Would be easier if the games or the console gave you the choice...

Thanks, I sent a new email. Even Naughty Dog on their support website tell players in that situation to approach PSN for a refund, this situation is ridiculous.

None of these points are reason change from PlayStation to another primary or worse selling it

Yeah time to get read of your ps4. Sony doing a terrible job this gen.

Around the Network

I know very little about the specific problems mentioned in the OP. But, for what its worth, I think XBL is much better than PSN (though PSN closed the gap significantly early this generation). I own both systems, but play mostly on PS4. However, I made the decision a few months ago not to renew my PSN subscription, and to play online only on XB. This decision wasn't related to any particular problems with PSN. But, I couldn't justify two subscriptions, so I decided to keep the one that I thought was better. It was an easy decision to stick with XBL.

I will note that I requested a refund one time from PSN due to an auto-renewal that I thought I had turned off. They did eventually give me the money back, but it took some time in chat, then filling out some stuff online, then waiting. I don't recall ever asking MS for a refund, so I have nothing to compare it to.

twintail said:
Faelco said: 

Other players, on SC or other games, have the same issues, with usually the same answer: it's region locked.

Example: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/playstation-4-region-matchmaking/54040

Or on Playstation forums: https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4/How-is-your-server-region-selected/td-p/24120827

Other Playstation forum thread: https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/GT-Sport/How-to-change-region/td-p/25338750

Yes, sometimes I was with people from other countries on UC4. But the usual was with European players (can talk to them with mic), and I can assure you that the experience with my JP account is in another league compared to the EU account. Less loading times, 5 bars on my reception on matchmaking screen, and smooth gameplay. And like I said, I was always with the same players on my EU account (the userbase is not that huge), never saw them on the JP account.

What is the country of your UC disc? Some games will allow the setting, but maybe some versions are not localized the same way (if there is not a lot of players in the region for example).

There are answers in the links you provided. 

The turtlestudios link clearly asks the devs to open the matchmaking. Hence, its dev related.

Your 1st PS forum link says that some games will allow you to choose. Hence, its dev related.

The GTSport link clearly states that the region matchmaking can be changed. Hence its dev related.

This will not be any different on Xbox. And I highly doubt it will be any different with the Switch. Devs will either allow you to choose your region or they won't care and let you just ping based on your current location, or assumed account location. 

There is even a question about this on the X1 reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/8mwqt2/can_we_change_matchmaking_region_datacenter/

My UC4 was Asia. 

Yes, it's dev related and will depend on each game. But GT and Uncharted are Sony studios, so Sony is responsible for that anyway. They should just allow us either to change the region of the account, or at least the default region of matchmaking, just like we can change the download location on Steam.

Maybe since Asia is not one of the big three locations and is a lot more diverse (usually used in a lot of very different countries), the localization doesn't bind it to one place as much as the other versions.

VAMatt said:
I know very little about the specific problems mentioned in the OP. But, for what its worth, I think XBL is much better than PSN (though PSN closed the gap significantly early this generation). I own both systems, but play mostly on PS4. However, I made the decision a few months ago not to renew my PSN subscription, and to play online only on XB. This decision wasn't related to any particular problems with PSN. But, I couldn't justify two subscriptions, so I decided to keep the one that I thought was better. It was an easy decision to stick with XBL.

I will note that I requested a refund one time from PSN due to an auto-renewal that I thought I had turned off. They did eventually give me the money back, but it took some time in chat, then filling out some stuff online, then waiting. I don't recall ever asking MS for a refund, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I have had no problems dealing with SOA either. When I bought GT Sport digital in a sale hoping I could simply use that from then on instead of the disk, I easily got a refund when it turned out I would have to re-download the full 80 GB. They missed out on extra income by not proving that option. (Apparently you have to delete all traces from the disk version first before installing the digital version)
Also when I had problems with trying to turn my child's account into a child account, they were quick to respond and clear why it wouldn't work. They wouldn't solve that yet at least customer service was quick and very competent unlike my isp lol.

I've only dealt with XBL customer service a long time ago. Cancelling gold was a big problem with a lot of questions. I couldn't simply cancel on the console (360), had to call them and explain why I would want to cancel... None of your business. And when MS still had the point system I couldn't redeem US points on my Canadian account. A friend had send them to me as a gift, useless.

Moving sucks, I still can't buy e-books from Amazon as Amazon is still confused about my location after all these years. I used Amazon US while I lived in Europe, have beem using Amazon Canada since 2002, yet I still get e-book not available for your country. They didn't even exist yet in 2002 lol.

Now which customer service is the worst, Roblox! My kid had somehow lost access to his account. That took 2 weeks of back and forth to finally get his account back.

Anyway I'm stuck with ps+ for GT Sport. Without that I might as well cancel it as I never have time to play the 'freebies' and don't play anything else online. Plus my kids only play Fortnite online now which doesn't need ps+.

Customer service is always hit and miss who you get to talk to. Sometimes simply trying again later gets you a more competent person that can get things done. And sometimes threatening to walk out helps as well. When I got an iPhone for my wife they entered my name wrong in the system (my isp). So it got on separate bills without bundle discounts and extra hassle. To fix that I would have to wait a month then send in a moving house notice and request to migrate the phone to a different person. I tried at the store where I got the phone, isp store and on the phone, no luck. So I brought the phone back to the store and asked a full refund and cancellation of the contract. (which they are legally required to do in Canada within 48 hours of purchase) A store manager got on the phone and 10 minutes later it was fixed.

Companies always try to get away with bullshit if you don't watch out!

Sony disappointing service: time to change my lead platform?

if it bothers you enuf then i would recommend changing!

Hiku said:

Regarding you not getting a refund for your purchase, that's really messed up. Have you tried asking to speak to a manager or some senior employee? Some times you can get completely different outcomes depending on who you talk to. it's possible the person you spoke to didn't quite fully understand your situation, and perhaps thought you could use those items on your Jp account, but that you then wanted to transfer them to your other account, etc.

I would try the refund again, because its seems like an obvious refund situation.

Well, I tried. This is the answer

PSN Support said: 

We understand your feelings considering your inquiry; however, there is no exception to our refund rules.  

We regret to inform you again that any purchased contents are not refundable at any case according to "Sony Entertainment Network" and "PSN" terms of service and user agreement.

Honestly, f**k them. Can't believe how crappy and scammy their support is.